Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I think it was directed at Nep and his enablers, not you.

You're right, it all comes down to priorities. There is a finite amount of money and you can't have everything. But I do think directing more money to an asset like your house is better long term financially than spending that money on something like travel.
Well, the topic of this thread is relevant to me and the challenges I'm facing as well. So I think it's appropriate if I'm part of the conversation. I'm sure other forum members would appreciate the contributions that I can make.

Last edited by nep321; 11-25-2014 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 10:07 AM

20 posts, read 36,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
1. a 3-4 bedroom mid-range updated house in a town with ok/good schools, like Fairfield, Easton, Ridgefield, Norwalk (exclude Darien, Greenwich, New Cannaan, Westport). No marble or chef's kitchen, just average updates, like wood floors, granite counters and tiled baths.
2. one or two yearly vacations in places like Mexico or Bermuda or one yearly vacation in Europe
3. two economy cars
4. healthy food (not quite organic farmer's market, but healthy enough so as not to include Ramen Noodles, Chef Boyardi and other bad for you stuff)
5. to be able to hire help when unable to do stuff on your own (example: to cut a tree, install gutters, etc)
6. to be able to have some savings
If you cut out the yearly vacation and only go on a big trip every few years, you could easily be comfortable in Fairfield county on a salary of 150k a year imo. (A 4 bedroom house means there are some kids? There's plenty of fun stuff to take kids to see around New England for much cheaper than a trip to Europe! Santa's Village in NH, for example. Even a road trip to the south or midwest would be cheaper, and you could do that several times a year if you wanted to!)

Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 AM

Yesterday I had received an interview request with a company located in Cheshire. The job sounded great and paid up to $80K. But I turned down the interview because I found out that the property in which the job is located on didn't have the following essential features, which existed in every job I ever had:
  • Full service cafeteria
  • Parking garage
  • 24-hour on-site security
  • Professionally landscaped grounds
I also turned down the interview because I discovered that Cheshire is within the NYC CSA, which I'm trying to get out of. I want nothing to do with NYC.

$80K would have been sufficient to live off in New Haven County, but certainly not in FFC, as is the premise of this thread.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:08 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,660 times
LOL. This made my day.

If this post isnt proof that you're either trolling or in need of very serious psychiatric help, I dont know what is...

Turning down an interview due to lack of 'professionally' landscaped grounds..PRICELESS.

Cheshire in NO way resembles a NYC suburb. The fact that its included within the NYC metro area is just idiotic. It's a bedroom community for New Haven and Hartford (to a lesser extent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yesterday I had received an interview request with a company located in Cheshire. The job sounded great and paid up to $80K. But I turned down the interview because I found out that the property in which the job is located on didn't have the following essential features, which existed in every job I ever had:
  • Full service cafeteria
  • Parking garage
I also turned down the interview because I discovered that Cheshire is within the NYC CSA, which I'm trying to get out of. I want nothing to do with NYC.

$80K would have been sufficient to live off in New Haven County, but certainly not in FFC, as is the premise of this thread.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
LOL. This made my day.

If this post isnt proof that you're either trolling or in need of very serious psychiatric help, I dont know what is...

Turning down an interview due to lack of 'professionally' landscaped grounds..PRICELESS.

Cheshire in NO way resembles a NYC suburb. The fact that its included within the NYC metro area is just idiotic. It's a bedroom community for New Haven and Hartford (to a lesser extent).
Cheshire is located within the New Haven MSA, which is located within the NY CSA. That means Cheshire is located within the NY CSA. I despise the NY CSA. Therefore, I have turned down the interview in Cheshire. I will NOT make the same mistake again.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:33 AM

109 posts, read 161,201 times
Quote:
LOL. This made my day.

My thoughts exactly. Haven't laughed so much in ages. Meanwhile back in the real world, some of just get on with the job, imperfections and all

Old 12-04-2014, 09:48 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,947,273 times
Quote:
LOL. This made my day.

My sentiments exactly, although I'm firmly convinced he's trolling. And while it can be entertaining at times, the amount of threads that end up getting hijacked by him (like this one) is annoying and unhelpful.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
My sentiments exactly, although I'm firmly convinced he's trolling. And while it can be entertaining at times, the amount of threads that end up getting hijacked by him (like this one) is annoying and unhelpful.
Do what some other have done. Begin reporting to senior moderators.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
  • Full service cafeteria
  • Parking garage

I don't visit this forum much anymore, and this is one of the reasons why.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:20 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,744,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Do what some other have done. Begin reporting to senior moderators.
I've tried doing that, but they claim that he isn't technically violating any of the forum policies, meanwhile I get slapped with a warning/infraction for calling him out when he was rambling about the weather in Buffalo a few weeks ago.

I also called for him to be benched for 2 months after Malloy won, but the mods considered that a "personal attack" and deleted the thread, even though NOT A SINGLE OTHER POSTER had a problem with it, and in fact agreed with me!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut