Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:18 PM

80 posts, read 498,166 times

Advertisements

Is Southport the same way?

Old 11-29-2006, 07:16 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Southport is just part of Fairfield, a wealthy part at that. Fairfield doesn't have the same rep as New Canaan and is more diverse, racially and economically, than New Canaan (maybe not the Southport area, as I recall it is very rich and white).

Old 11-30-2006, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 15,125 times
Default my 2 cents

I'm in Orlando, FL now (and I hate it) but I'm originally from CT (Bridgeport and West Haven)...my target would be Fairfield or Westport. My take on snootiness / snobbery in descending order...

1 - Greenwich / Cos Cob
2 - New Canaan
3 - Westport
4 - Fairfield

There are spots (like Rowayton - the $$$ part of Norwalk) that I left out,, but think of it as exits on a map...the lower the exit # on i-95, the more $$$ and thus snooty...schools are good in any of the cities listed, and it is true that Fairfield is the most diverse of them. Fairfield / Westport would be very cool...Southport, was just strange to me...

Old 11-30-2006, 06:42 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsmoke View Post
I'm in Orlando, FL now (and I hate it) but I'm originally from CT (Bridgeport and West Haven)...my target would be Fairfield or Westport. My take on snootiness / snobbery in descending order...

1 - Greenwich / Cos Cob
2 - New Canaan
3 - Westport
4 - Fairfield

There are spots (like Rowayton - the $$$ part of Norwalk) that I left out,, but think of it as exits on a map...the lower the exit # on i-95, the more $$$ and thus snooty...schools are good in any of the cities listed, and it is true that Fairfield is the most diverse of them. Fairfield / Westport would be very cool...Southport, was just strange to me...
I agree with you wholeheartedly!

In essense = (for most people and most part) the more $$$ and or assets they have, the snobbier they are. They think that they're better than the others around them.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:04 AM

7 posts, read 40,722 times
It is lower Fairfield County and is VERY SNOOTY as are all the towns around there. You are better off in Shelton Seymour or Oxford

Old 11-30-2006, 12:31 PM

80 posts, read 498,166 times
Default Shelton, Seymour,Oxford

Are any of those town in commuting distance to NYC? It seems far. We would love to find a town with good schools, parents that are interested in education for their children that is not snooty.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:19 PM

43 posts, read 276,986 times
Stamford is not snooty and a great commute to NYC

Old 11-30-2006, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 24,309 times
I would also recommend Stamford. There are some snooty areas as with all of Fairfield county, however there is a much more diverse atmosphere. I know nothing about the school system, but there are a number of very prestigious private schools in the area if that is a concern.

Stamford is also the "hub" in terms of transportation from Fairfield County to NYC. There are many commuter trains that run out of the Stamford train station, and it is about a 45 minute drive into the city.

You may also consider Westchester County in New York. It is similar to Fairfield County in terms of the demographic, but in my experience it is less "snooty". Fairfield County and Westchester County border eachother so it is very similar aesthetically. It is also a closer commute to NYC (depending on the town). The school systems in Westchester are also very good.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 7,002 times
I grew up in New Canaan and think it is a wonderful place to raise children. The schools are fantastic and the expectation among all the children is to work hard, get good grades, and go to an excellent college. It is just how things are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahB2 View Post
My family is looking into moving to New Canaan, CT and I was wondering if this area is snooty or snobby. I'm not really sure if this area would be a good area to raise children in, if it is.

Thank you!

Old 12-04-2006, 04:08 PM

144 posts, read 935,720 times
My grandma lives in Darien which is a great place. Everyone's rich, but who cares. That doesn't make them evil, although the have-nots on this board will tr to make it seem that way, they fail because I see their jealosy. And who can blame them? If you have the money, you can't go wrong with Darien or Greenwich.

I've found the people there to be really friendly, a lot more friendly than here in Southern California. It's also very beautiful with the trees and the sound. One top of that, you're close to NYC.

IMO, that area really can't be topped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut