Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 09:17 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Dunkin Donuts Park has been named the best stadium in Double A baseball. Maybe all the problems and costs were worth it. Jay

Yard Goats Double-A home ballpark named best in U.S. | HartfordBusiness.com

That title will probably last until the next AA stadium is built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Two Downtown Hartford Eyesores To Be Converted To Apartments - Hartford Courant

Old 06-20-2017, 12:07 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Quote:
The majority of the 258 units — 197, or 76 percent — will be studios, with the remainder a mix of one- and two-bedroom apartments.
In 95-101 Pearl, the average rent will range from $1,124 to $1,460 a month, while at 111 Pearl, the average rents will run from $1,057 to $1,400.

76% studio apartments? Is there really market demand for that?

Old 06-20-2017, 12:28 PM

34,935 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
76% studio apartments? Is there really market demand for that?
The development team just finished retrofitting the old Sonesta Hotel on Constitution Plaza into micro-apartments and they rented very quickly. Even faster than the team had hoped. I would guess that is why they are going with that model again here. Seems to be a big demand for modest sized apartments. Jay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmOa9tDSj3w

Spectra Boutique | Apartments for Rent in Hartford CT

Old 06-20-2017, 05:50 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
^^^ There does seem to be a growing market for small apartments in some areas of the country. I suspect that the lower rent cost is one reason why they are becoming popular. And less work for people that don't want to spend their time with the upkeep of a larger home.

Example:

Indianapolis actually has some garden style apartments spread out around the city that contain only 300 square feet each. These are the smallest I've seen anywhere. There may be some that are smaller either here or around the country and I would not be surprised that at some point Efficiency style apartments will likely be developed with even smaller foot prints.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:25 PM

6,130 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
^^^ There does seem to be a growing market for small apartments in some areas of the country. I suspect that the lower rent cost is one reason why they are becoming popular. And less work for people that don't want to spend their time with the upkeep of a larger home.

Example:

Indianapolis actually has some garden style apartments spread out around the city that contain only 300 square feet each. These are the smallest I've seen anywhere. There may be some that are smaller either here or around the country and I would not be surprised that at some point Efficiency style apartments will likely be developed with even smaller foot prints.
I'm from Indy and still have close relatives there. I'm shocked at this considering how abundant & cheap real estate is in that area.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:54 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
What's to upkeep with a 700 square foot 1 bedroom apartment? 350 square feet is a hotel room with a kitchenette stuffed in a corner. That's fine if your market is transient corporate people who crash there the four midweek nights and vanish to somewhere better on weekends. I guess you can warehouse the H-1B contractors there.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'm from Indy and still have close relatives there. I'm shocked at this considering how abundant & cheap real estate is in that area.
They've been around for a while. I know when I rented there a few years ago, I had a 1 BR that was only 485 square feet. I think these mini apartments were built by the same developer since they all have the same physical appearance and interior layout from what I see. They are spread out in different areas of the city.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What's to upkeep with a 700 square foot 1 bedroom apartment? 350 square feet is a hotel room with a kitchenette stuffed in a corner. That's fine if your market is transient corporate people who crash there the four midweek nights and vanish to somewhere better on weekends. I guess you can warehouse the H-1B contractors there.
Dunno. Too small for my taste. But apparently these small apartments are popular with many and it is growing trend in more expensive cities simply to keep rents reasonable for some.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:03 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Temporary workers: I'm not sure about the H-1B kind but companies like Travelers routinely cycle in talent for a few years to work and advance up the ladder before they move elsewhere.

Students: For an affluent suburban parent these secured tower developments are "safer" than putting the spawn in a walk up west end rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut