Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 05:01 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This mornings temps. Another morning in the mid 30s here. 30s all the way down to North Carolina.

Danbury is below freezing again this morning! That ties last year now with 11 in April. Haven't had more in decades. Crazy April we're having.

Dropped below 32 again. 3rd night in a row below 32 with frost on the cars. Impressive for this time of the year as I live very close to the shoreline.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:30 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Dropped below 32 again. 3rd night in a row below 32 with frost on the cars. Impressive for this time of the year as I live very close to the shoreline.
These clear nights are proving to lift all surface heat up and out easily.

Heavy frost on the north side. This is south side. Got the stove going again. So yeah, the breeze is from the North.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
When will we be frost free for the season? Seems late for such low temps.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
When will we be frost free for the season? Seems late for such low temps.
End of April for Southern CT. Early May for northern CT.

Keep in mind this is an "average". That means its still possible to get one past these dates.

It's not so much interesting getting frost now but its the amount of times we've dropped around freezing this year which is interesting.

Easiest rule of thumb for gardening stuff... MID MAY is safe. Think mothers day or simply Mid May is when its ok. Soil is warmed up and frosts are rare.

Average Last Frost Dates

May 27, 2013 some locations in CT dropped into the mid 30s so be prepared to protect stuff. Jones Family Farm had to turn on the sprinklers to protect the strawberries.

As far as precip.. Only 3 times next 10 days I see.

Monday night.
Friday
Monday 26th

Old 04-16-2016, 05:57 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
This mornings temps. Another morning in the mid 30s here. 30s all the way down to North Carolina.

Danbury is below freezing again this morning! That ties last year now with 11 in April. Haven't had more in decades. Crazy April we're having.

How far back do Danbury's records go? I'm guessing only to 1990 or later (even shorter than Islip!) because I would've assumed their record for most sub-freezing lows in December would've been 31 in 1989 like Bridgeport. Heck I think even NYC might've had 31 sub-freezing lows (but not sure because I both know and remember New Year's Eve was an above-normal day, the only one that month, so it's possible NYC was above 31 all day and maybe Bridgeport had a low of 31 or 30 or something).

Quote:
Prescott, Arizona got 72 inches of snow. Maybe thats my spot. Then again might be too hot in summer for me.

https://twitter.com/NWSNewYorkNY/sta...31258093387777
Flagstaff, AZ and Reno, NV also have a "high desert" climate similar to the weather we have been having this week (I read that on one day this week NYC had a relative humidity of 16%! How often does that happen here?). "Dry warmth" (not heat) with sun with this nice large day/night variation is definitely the perfect weather to me.

I think Reno has in July something like a (very dry) 90-degree average high with an average low still in the upper 40s

Old 04-16-2016, 06:00 AM

Oh shoot, they used "32°" as the last frost date. Why O Why. Frost can occur with upper 30s but more common with low-mid 30s. NWS uses 36° as the frost criteria. Ugh. That's why I wondered why the map had April. Mid May.. Mid May. Just remember Mid May

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
How far back do Danbury's records go?

Says it on the stat graphic. 1998

Old 04-16-2016, 07:20 AM

4th day in a row with clear, blue, sunny skies. Not a cloud in sight. Incredible! Looks like Nantucket is getting some clouds on the edge there but no worries for us.. No clouds around now stuck under a ridge of High Pressure. DRY DRY DRY! Enjoy the weekend guys

Old 04-16-2016, 08:00 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
Quote:
4th day in a row with clear, blue, sunny skies. Not a cloud in sight. Incredible! Looks like Nantucket is getting some clouds on the edge there but no worries for us.. No clouds around now stuck under a ridge of High Pressure. DRY DRY DRY! Enjoy the weekend guys

Its crazy how fast the temperature rises this time of the year. Just jumped 20 degrees in in less than 3 hours.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:35 AM

Yup.. temps go up dewpoints go down. Someone get me a bottle!!

More and more I realize its the garbage humidity that kills me here. Not the heat itself

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/sit...etwork=CT_ASOS

Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 AM

NWS NY mentions

1. They raised temps for today
2. Late sea breeze today
3. They dropped dewpoints for today
4. Storm 700 miles off Long Island
5. Very dry fire weather
6. Omega Block stagnant pattern
7. Cold front Monday

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
1008 AM EDT SAT APR 16 2016

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
MADE MINOR ADJUSTMENTS TO RAISE TEMPS SLIGHTLY AREAWIDE...AND A
COUPLE OF DEGREES ALONG THE COAST BASED ON LATE SEABREEZES
ALLOWING A COUPLE MORE HOURS OF HEATING THAN YESTERDAY. HAVE
DROPPED DEW POINTS SLIGHTLY TO REFLECT LATEST TRENDS AND DEEP AFT
MIXING.

OTHERWISE...DEEP RIDGING ALOFT IN COMBINATION WITH A SURFACE HIGH
PRESSURE SETTLING OVER THE REGION TODAY WILL BRING ANOTHER
SEASONABLY WARM AND DRY DAY. PRESSURE GRADIENT TIGHTENS BETWEEN
THE HIGH AND MEANDERING LOW PRESSURE APPROX 700 MILES ESE FROM THE
LI COAST. THIS WILL BRING BREEZY CONDITIONS AND WIND GUSTS 25 TO
30 MPH FOR MUCH OF SOUTHERN CT AND LONG ISLAND. WINDS WILL BE
LIGHTER FURTHER WEST...WITH GUSTS 15 TO 25 MPH. DEW POINTS WILL
MIX OUT INTO THE UPPER TEENS/LOWER 20S CREATING VERY DRY
CONDITIONS WITH RH VALUES IN THE UPPER TEENS/LOWER 20S THIS
AFTERNOON.

DRY CONDITIONS CONTINUE THROUGH MONDAY AS RIDGING REMAINS IN CONTROL
ALOFT AND AT THE SURFACE. OFFSHORE LOW SLOWLY MOVES FURTHER OUT TO
SEA ON SUNDAY SO NOT EXPECTING AS MUCH WIND AS SATURDAY ACROSS
EASTERN ZONES. THE OMEGA BLOCK PATTERN THAT HAS KEPT A STAGNANT
PATTERN OVER THE LAST SEVERAL DAYS BEGINS TO BREAK DOWN SUNDAY NIGHT
INTO MONDAY AS A NORTHERN STREAM TROUGH DIGS SOUTH FROM SOUTHERN
CANADA. HIGH PRESSURE WILL MOVE SOUTHWEST ON MONDAY AS A COLD FRONT
SLOWLY APPROACHES FROM THE NORTH DURING THE DAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut