Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 02:02 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Some interesting unrelated things on that chart when you look at the monthly and yearly record stats:

It appears every day February 2015 was below freezing. I guess no leap years had 29 such days as the record is 28 set (or last set) last year. Probably a rare thing as the last January to have every day with a low below freezing according that chart was in 1981 and for December in 1989.

Also it says the least number of below 32 days for the year was 23 in 1948. That's probably incorrect, it's the first year BDR started officially recording weather and I bet they started midway or more likely even late in the year like November or December.
Man you dissect stats and see things like your from another world. (That's a compliment) lol. I don't even see those things but I guess cause I was just focused on this month only. Yeah BDR started July 1948 so they missed Jan-Feb-Mar-Apr that year. 2012 has the least # of days below freezing with 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Why do they bother with these freeze warnings? Doesn't everyone know not to plant before Mother's Day?
As you may know, They issue it when growing season has begun, not when sensitive plants should be planted.. Things are growing outside now and just like we saw the Magnolia blooms fried, the warnings are good to have. Plus I cant believe some stores and nurseries didn't protect the sensitive plants they had outside when we dropped below freezing.

When you guys drive around, take note of the dead looking magnolia trees. This is a year we will not see those nice pink blooms anymore. They are done. Fried.

What they should look like on left... what it looks like this year

Old 04-13-2016, 03:01 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Man you dissect stats and see things like your from another world. (That's a compliment) lol. I don't even see those things but I guess cause I was just focused on this month only. Yeah BDR started July 1948 so they missed Jan-Feb-Mar-Apr that year. 2012 has the least # of days below freezing with 58

As you may know, They issue it when growing season has begun, not when sensitive plants should be planted.. Things are growing outside now and just like we saw the Magnolia blooms fried, the warnings are good to have. Plus I cant believe some stores and nurseries didn't protect the sensitive plants they had outside when we dropped below freezing.

When you guys drive around, take note of the dead looking magnolia trees. This is a year we will not see those nice pink blooms anymore. They are done. Fried.

What they should look like on left... what it looks like this year

Cam - Don't you still have 3 weeks until the trees on the right have to look like those on the left? Jay

Old 04-13-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Cam - Don't you still have 3 weeks until the trees on the right have to look like those on the left? Jay
I knew the date was going to throw someone off. Nope. This year we bloomed weeks early. Last year was weeks late. Magnolias were already blooming and then we dropped to low 20s and they got damaged. I was just showing what they should look like, sorry for confusion.

Check it out when you drive around. You'll notice it. They wont re-bloom, they are done. Curious how the leaves come out now.

This was April 4th this year..

This was April 8th. Same tree, different angle. Added a closeup of the damaged blooms.

So no more pretty in pink out there this year. Cherry's are blossoming now so that will give us the pinks and reds

Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:

Thanks I've always been good at that sort of thing.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:36 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times
Quote:
I knew the date was going to throw someone off. Nope. This year we bloomed weeks early. Last year was weeks late. Magnolias were already blooming and then we dropped to low 20s and they got damaged. I was just showing what they should look like, sorry for confusion.

Check it out when you drive around. You'll notice it. They wont re-bloom, they are done. Curious how the leaves come out now.

This was April 4th this year..

This was April 8th. Same tree, different angle. Added a closeup of the damaged blooms.

So no more pretty in pink out there this year. Cherry's are blossoming now so that will give us the pinks and reds

I like the the tree

Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 AM

Not a drop of rain in sight until maybe Monday night. No complaints! Sunday the better day of the weekend if you like warmth and sun. Get those lawn mowers ready.

I plan on etching and painting my garage floor. Was waiting for a dry stretch. Finally!

Anyone going to Colorado? Bring your Skis.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:58 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,011 times
New Riding Mower being delivered Saturday....just in time

Old 04-14-2016, 01:58 PM

Ok... Summer 2016...

Analogs I found to closely match what's coming and where we came from. NOAA has issued a La Nina Watch which means we are heading to La Nina. No doubt about that. So these years are when we went from a strong Nino to a La Nina.

So without looking at each month for each year.... If you blend June-July-August for alllll those years, here's what you get for temp departures.

The average of all those Analog years produces this.

Hot Central US, cool West, normal East coast. For an average of multiple years and months to produce above normal temps is impressive. I think the Midwest is in for a classic hot summer based on pretty much most analogs and I think some models are showing.

And here's the precip departures. Not really a wet look for the U.S. Wow. Very dry in CT. Did majority of those years have a drought?

Now if you guys want to go down memory lane and pick one or a couple of those years and tell us how summer was that would be very cool to hear.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:57 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,876,476 times
Quote:
Ok... Summer 2016...

Analogs I found to closely match what's coming and where we came from. NOAA has issued a La Nina Watch which means we are heading to La Nina. No doubt about that. So these years are when we went from a strong Nino to a La Nina.

So without looking at each month for each year.... If you blend June-July-August for alllll those years, here's what you get for temp departures.

The average of all those Analog years produces this.

Hot Central US, cool West, normal East coast. For an average of multiple years and months to produce above normal temps it is impressive. I think the Midwest is in for a classic hot summer based on pretty much most analogs and I think some models are showing.

And here's the precip departures. Not really a wet look for the U.S. Wow. Very dry in CT. Did majority of those years have a drought?

Now if you guys want to go down memory lane and pick one or a couple of those years and tell us how summer was that would be very cool to hear.
You knew that was coming....

I already mentioned 1966 and the all time LGA temperature record. Well Central Park's.all time high of 106 occurred on July 9, 1936.

1988 was a hot summer (in fact it was the year James Hanson of NASA brought up you know what and the media followed). That said it seems all the double digit years of the 20th century from 1944 to 1999 had historically hot summers.

1998 is considered to be a hot year both in the northeast and globally. Some models that use satellites to measure global temperature say that we had a peak that year that has not been broken though many years since have come close on the satellite record. But there were some cold spells locally in 1998 including June 7 the day I got married. I think it was in the 40s everywhere in the morning except NYC around 50 (my bg day was in New Rochelle NY)

Old 04-14-2016, 08:23 PM

6,573 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Ok... Summer 2016...

And here's the precip departures. Not really a wet look for the U.S. Wow. Very dry in CT. Did majority of those years have a drought

I distinctly remember 2010 being hot and dry. But early! Spring started in mid-March and I had to put my downstairs AC in the window in April - I hadn't used it in years.

I remember setting my kiddie pool up around July 4 because it was so hot, yet sitting in it and not sweating because the humidity was low. That was really amazing.

I remember a favorite riding spot, that is normally always wet in spots, being dry and dusty. I had been riding there since 2003 and had never seen that. As a matter of fact, I only saw it again late last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut