Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:15 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It's funny how people in this forum advised me against relocating to Columbus because the offer that I received here last year "stinks." Yet now, this offer is even WORSE, and people are advising me to take it. What the hell....
You are unemployed and the clock is ticking on your benefits. You have seven weeks before you start living off of your savings and have no other income. You don’t have any bites other than a recruiter who may have something going on in Nashville. You aren’t in a power position. You have no leverage. You are willing to walk away from your only current job prospect for $1K/annually and one day of PTO. If your family and friends are telling you to hold out for something better, given the facts listed above, they are giving you terrible advice.

You are entitled and think you deserve more. I’m not sure if you were raised to think the world owes you something or learned it later in life…regardless, it isn’t an admirable trait. You have a terrible work ethic and unrealistic expectations. Grow the F up, nep, or live off your savings/mommy and daddy’s charity. Your call.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:17 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
You are unemployed and the clock is ticking on your benefits. You have seven weeks before you start living off of your savings and have no other income. You don’t have any bites other than a recruiter who may have something going on in Nashville. You aren’t in a power position. You have no leverage. You are willing to walk away from your only current job prospect for $1K/annually and one day of PTO. If your family and friends are telling you to hold out for something better, given the facts listed above, they are giving you terrible advice.

You are entitled and think you deserve more. I’m not sure if you were raised to think the world owes you something or learned it later in life…regardless, it isn’t an admirable trait. You have a terrible work ethic and unrealistic expectations. Grow the F up, nep, or live off your savings/mommy and daddy’s charity. Your call.
I am not entitled, but I do believe that it's reasonable to expect at least AVERAGE benefits when evaluating a job offer.

If I accept this job, it's going to be a miserable 5 years of getting below market pay, below average benefits and always wishing for something better.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:17 AM
V&L

112 posts, read 150,076 times
Quote:
It's funny how people in this forum advised me against relocating to Columbus because the offer that I received here last year "stinks." Yet now, this offer is even WORSE, and people are advising me to take it. What the hell....
That is because we can tell you are not seeing the offer objectively. It does NOT matter how much pay you SHOULD be getting, what matters is your situation (you are unemployed and running out of time and money), and the offers you are IN FACT getting. Again, figure out what is truly important to you.

As for always wishing for something better... that is a matter of attitude and you can always change that (unlike the fact that soon you will not be able to pay bills).

Old 03-08-2016, 09:18 AM

468 posts, read 524,300 times
Quote:
Because that was before you got FIRED from the job in Columbus.

Honestly, I don't know who's nuttier- NEP, or those of us that allow ourselves to get draw into his incomprehensible BS.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:20 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,628 times
Quote:
I don't know...probably not as dire as my situation. But how can I feel excited or comfortable about relocating for a job that I know is going to pay below market and provide below average benefits? It's depressing. I'm not going to be motivated to work hard as a manager making only $68K. Wtf.

Perhaps you could be excited and motivated about being home, near family, and not having to bite into your savings and having any kind of health benefits.

I LOVE my creature comforts. I get bored, easily too. I paid my dues, worked my way up and am in a position I enjoy, with a great balance. It's called life.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:22 AM

214 posts, read 180,579 times
Quote:
There is no sense of entitlement here. I'm sorry, but I think it's reasonable to expect and receive pay and benefits that are appropriate and well in line with what I've always been receiving. I can't just swallow ANY offer that comes my way from ANY company and assume that what they're offering me is the "norm" or what I'm "worth." I am really shocked at most of the comments in this thread.

I will not be motivated to work hard as a MANAGER making only $68K. Give me a break.

AND...I also just found out that this company only gives 6 paid holidays per year, which is also very low. What a JOKE! There's absolutely NOTHING redeeming about this offer whatsoever.

I work for a major health insurance company and we get 7 paid holidays a year. How many do you think you are entitled to?
Personally, I would take it and you can search for something else. 7 weeks will be here before you know it!

Old 03-08-2016, 09:46 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Perhaps you could be excited and motivated about being home, near family, and not having to bite into your savings and having any kind of health benefits.

I LOVE my creature comforts. I get bored, easily too. I paid my dues, worked my way up and am in a position I enjoy, with a great balance. It's called life.
^^^^This. If the job won't motivate you then you need to motivate yourself.

Also, I have a cousin who's an engineer near Boston-- has to keep finding jobs when the companies fold, and even starting all over again with only ONE week vacation. He figures, it's a job, it's health insurance, it's near home, it pays the bills. Compromise. Adjust attitude.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:57 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
If this was May or later, I would accept the offer as is. But I still have 7 weeks of unemployment left, so I can continue to be selective with job offers received.

There is such a thing as companies that are cheap, try to take advantage of employees, and this company is clearly in that category.

And I am NOT going to accept this job, only to change jobs again shortly after. That would be disastrous and no one would even consider hiring me anyway. My next job MUST ABSOLUTELY be a long term position.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:03 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
I am not entitled, but I do believe that it's reasonable to expect at least AVERAGE benefits when evaluating a job offer.

If I accept this job, it's going to be a miserable 5 years of getting below market pay, below average benefits and always wishing for something better.
Only roughly half the people make above average pay...

That's the half without gaps in their resumes and wasn't fired from their last job.

Nep, you're not in that half any more. You've been canned. You have a series of recent gaps in employment. You've shown recently you're not on the track that gets preferred salary and benefits.

Take what you can get and rebuild your resume-- A stronger job title here will help. Use this, and your improved work habits, as a springboard to something better.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:03 AM

684 posts, read 812,762 times
Quote:
The Glassdoor reviews are average. But I don't bother to look at Glassdoor, because it's often misleading. Everyone's work experience is going to be different.
Yea but YOU'RE the one with no job so YOU can't demand nothing right now

Sorry but if you live in a town that has a low median household income what makes you think the jobs are going to pay YOU more ? LOL welcome to reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut