Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 PM

22 posts, read 64,145 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite supermarket chain/independent grocery store in Connecticut and why?

What is your least favorite and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 02:11 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
You should've posted a poll!

My favorite is Price Chopper. They have pretty decent selections of fish, produce, and breads. After that, I vote for Shop Rite simply for prices.

My least favorite is Stop & Shop. Even though most of their stores are huge, they're a bit expensive. I guess that's how they're paying for the large stores.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:13 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,038 times
Anyone check out Aldi's? I've heard they have some pretty good deals there.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I like Highland Park Market but they are too pricey to shop there regularly. They do have the best and most reasonably priced sandwiches in town though. I also like Stop & Shop because they usually have everything I want. I hate Shaw's because I can never go into that store (even their super stores) and find everything I want. How can you be out of large bottles of Heinz Ketchup when it is not even on sale??? When I asked at the front desk they offered their store brand instead. If I wanted their store brand I would have bought their brand. It is very frustrating so I avoid them completely. JMHO, Jay

Old 12-30-2008, 02:27 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
We have an amazing Super Stop and Shop about 1/2 mile from our house. But, it is a bit pricey on certain items. I also wish it were more "Whole Foods" and less standard supermarket. They did completely renovate the place about a year ago, and made it more in line with Whole Foods--but I'd like another choice.
Grade A is out of the way, as-is our Mrs Green's natural food market. Whole Foods was slated to come to Stamford at the Lord and Taylor site, but that fell apart in the spring of this year. Crossing my fingers that they'll build here soon!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:46 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,916 times
I love Stew Leonard's but could never shop there regularly. Newington is closest for me. I'll go to pick up specialty items for parties or special events. The layout is just not conducive to quick stops and it still is quite a hike from my house. My husband hates the place because it's too loud and congested with people. We cheer him up at the end of the trip with an ice cream cone on the way out.

Stop & Shop is where I go on a regular basis, although I live equally close to a Shaws. I just find Shaws checkout time dreadfully slow.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:04 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
I get bored going to the same grocery store, so I usually pick a different one each week, but I buy all my dry goods at Target because it is so much cheaper and hit the grocery store for meat, dairy and frozen items.

I love ALDI but there isn't one that close and I don't like that they don't take charge cards. I also love Trader Joe's but it is out of the way for me so I just go there once a month and stock up on my favorite items.

My kids like Big Y for the fact that they can get an ICEE with a silver coin. Since they are not in school this week, I find myself shopping there.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:09 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
My favorite is Gardiners Market in South Glastonbury. Great service and good selection, but it is a little pricey.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:33 PM

22 posts, read 64,145 times
I could not figure out how to start a poll, but I guess I should have. I suppose I missed something. I'm unfamiliar with the boards.

Anyway, my supermarket of choice is A&P/Foodmart in Berlin. I love the store. It is huge and I love all their fresh items. They have really good sales from time to time. It's unfortunate there's not many left in Connecticut. I will travel from Newington to Berlin just to shop there. I hope they get the A&P Fresh remodel soon.

A close second favorite is Shaw's in Newington.

I don't hate any supermarket, although I can't see why everyone loves Stop and Shop SO much. They are way overpriced and are everywhere, putting other grocers out of business and not allowing variety. However, they have quality products and it serves its purpose. I guess I just don't like to follow the majority, rather support the smaller guy!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:45 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I think it is very strange how A&P went from being the largest grocer in the state to being virtually out of business here over the last 30 years. It is a real shame that they could not get their act together to change with the times. It is just poor management I guess.

As for why people go to Stop & Shop so much, for me it is that they have what I want. I do not have the time to drive around to different stores looking for different things I want or need. I also do not find the prices to be any higher for the items I buy than other stores nearby. Of course our friends swear they save a lot when they shop at the Shoprite in Manchester. I have tried there but only see a small savings. I just can't see driving that far to save a few $. JMHO, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut