Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2011, 08:13 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times

Advertisements

cambium, whats the outlook for the potential snow over the weekend?
wundergrounds telling me 40% likelyhood on saturday and 20% lieklyhood on sunday, any details?

what about the one potentially comming through next week? any more details on that one?

just trying to prep as good as possible ahead of time as ive got some drs apts next week and my car SUCKS in the snow so i need to adjust apointments as nessicary.

note to self: i need a second vehicle, this one with 4wd lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
I'm hearing that the Saturday night into Sunday one may just be a "light" thing of 1 or 2 inches in most areas......

And that the 18-19th storm Cambium's talking about may actually be mostly rain in NYC and rain/snow mix even in northern CT. I guess we'll see......

Old 01-12-2011, 11:15 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
cambium, whats the outlook for the potential snow over the weekend?
wundergrounds telling me 40% likelyhood on saturday and 20% lieklyhood on sunday, any details?

what about the one potentially comming through next week? any more details on that one?

just trying to prep as good as possible ahead of time as ive got some drs apts next week and my car SUCKS in the snow so i need to adjust apointments as nessicary.

note to self: i need a second vehicle, this one with 4wd lol
Like 7Wishes said...this weekend will be light but now even adding 2 or 3 inches on top of what we got will be noticeable.

Next weeks will be bigger BUT temps will be an issue and so will path... I'm about to check the models now..

Temps should remain around 30 for next few days... You guys should not hope for rain anytime soon... If we get a rainstorm next week and the 15-30 inches of snow hasnt melted much...Thats a major problem.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
yeah we had flooding in our yard after the last snow just from the snow melting and having nowhere to go...we had to use blaes of straw to make the mess of mudbath remotly walkable for the dogs and getting to the hen house.
can you imagine a wet sloshy mush ontop of this, not to mention if we got ice ontop of all this snow...

i think im just going to hibernate for the rest of winter. :P

Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 AM

JANUARY 26-28 NEXT POTENTIAL SNOWSTORM

This weekend a light snow even..Havent looked at locations yet.

Next week I really dont like the way temps look for snow. Which is worse news for everyone if it rains.

But the following week has a good size storm again..

Polar air comes down and gets Absolutly Fridgid 21st-25th..

Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ummm... Put him on Speed Dial! The NAM Model shows 2 feet in Hartford...

Cambium, hats off. Snow finally came to an end in West Hartford and just saw the unofficial total of 22" posted on the NWS site. I think that qualifies as a jackpot!

Greatest single event snowfall I've experienced...and I've lived in Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, and Albany.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:50 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Cambium, hats off. Snow finally came to an end in West Hartford and just saw the unofficial total of 22" posted on the NWS site. I think that qualifies as a jackpot!

Greatest single event snowfall I've experienced...and I've lived in Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, and Albany.
Having lived in the Albany area for almost 5 years about 2 decades ago, one thing I noticed (and is true about those midwest cities too) is that while those cities have seasonal snow totals that are fairly above coastal CT and NYC, their "all time single snowfall" for all of them I believe is less (and in the case of "all time seasonal snowfall" I believe Minneapolis and Chicago's is also a lot less than NYC, Hartford, or Boston). I was kind of surprised that 22.5" (though I'm sure the final total will be a bit more) broke the all-time single snowfall record for Bradley.

The reason is that being on/near the coast, we tend to get more of an "all or nothing" when it comes to snow, so we get years with a real solid snowfall or two like this winter, but then there's other winters where there's not too much snow (or where we get rain while places further north and inland get the snow). I believe even in NYC there's never been a winter recorded without at least one measurable snowfall, but I know there's been a few winters with less than 10" seasonal total.

Whereas in those other cities you mention there's a lot more "smaller" snowfalls that add up (especially Cleveland which has somewhat of the "lake effect".....and Albany has the issue that it gets the remnants of the lake effect to the west and the outer edge of the big NYC/Boston coastal storms).

Though Hartford is kind of like Albany in that regards except it's snow totals are lower (but higher than NYC and coastal CT) because it a bit too far south and east to get "lake effect remnants" and sometimes gets rain when Albany gets snow.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:54 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Having lived in the Albany area for almost 5 years about 2 decades ago, one thing I noticed (and is true about those midwest cities too) is that while those cities have seasonal snow totals that are fairly above coastal CT and NYC, their "all time single snowfall" for all of them I believe is less (and in the case of "all time seasonal snowfall" I believe Minneapolis and Chicago's is also a lot less than NYC, Hartford, or Boston).

The reason is that being on/near the coast, we tend to get more of an "all or nothing" when it comes to snow, so we get years with a real solid snowfall or two like this winter, but then there's other winters where there's not too much snow (or where we get rain while places further north and inland get the snow). I believe even in NYC there's never been a winter recorded without at least one measurable snowfall, but I know there's been a few winters with less than 10" seasonal total.

Whereas in those other cities you mention there's a lot more "smaller" snowfalls that add up (especially Cleveland which has somewhat of the "lake effect".....and Albany has the issue that it gets the remnants of the lake effect to the west and the outer edge of the big NYC/Boston coastal storms).

Though Hartford is kind of like Albany in that regards except it's snow totals are lower (but higher than NYC and coastal CT) because it a bit too far south and east to get "lake effect remnants" and sometimes gets rain when Albany gets snow.
I think that's right on...and probably why it's a bit more frustrating living in Hartford if you are someone who counts on a certain amount of snow every year!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The reason is that being on/near the coast, we tend to get more of an "all or nothing" when it comes to snow...
Same with rain, which is why so many CT houses have flooded basements.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:09 PM

UPDATE: January 18-19 Storm:

Looking at some stuff for this one... Based on one latest model..The coast gets rain up until about 100 miles inland... around I84 gets ice.... and Snow for interior sections of NorthEast..

If the path takes a more East jog buy stock in snowblower companies. lol but dont worry...temps warm up a bit so just make sure you clear the snow near your foundation and make way for water to flow away from home..

Oh man...just thinking about my roof and gutters full of snow.. I hate rain!

Last edited by Cambium; 01-12-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut