Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:28 PM

621 posts, read 1,033,220 times

Advertisements

I own this TV set a VCR/DVD Combo, had it for a long time that it still has not died out 100%. I'm wondering just how long it will last me until I gota replace it.

What about you, what items do you still have after having it for years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 09:41 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Dude, you really should clean those cobwebs...

It will last exactly until you have spent all your available money on other stuff + one day. Appliances are like that. You can make it last a year longer than that if you keep a baseball bat visible and threaten it from time to time.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:42 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
My old 24 inch tube tv is still running and it's over 15 yrs old now. My Plasma is around 5 yrs or so. I have an old Dell laptop that is 10 yrs or older. Still can surf the net. My current PC is around 7-8 yrs old. Still running strong. My home theater system and PS 3 is about the same age as my Plasma.

As for my other things such as my Whirlpool top loader washer/dryer about 14 yrs old and I've thing I ever did was change out the washer dogs on the washer. My GE fridge is around age too and still going strong. My reliable 1998 Camry is still running like a champ like the first day I bought it in 2001; though the paint/coating is now peeling off like crazy. Original engine and Transmission, just your usual maintenance.

I usually like use it till it breaks down or too expensive to fix.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:25 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
It seems that things in my house have a life span of 12-15 years. Have had to replace garb disposer, fridge, microwave, water heater, wash machine, AC/heat thermostat. Mr Coffee & food fryer, thermostat quit on both.
VCR on/off button quit working, replaced with DVD-R/VCR combo, AV receiver- rear speakers quit then on/off button, had to spend a lot of money to get a new one with phono in, Sat. receiver remote. One day, half the numbers and chan up/down stopped working.
I live in a very high amounts of lighting in the summer. Have replaced phone ans machine 4 times.
Pc 3 years ago- pcb on hard drive fried. XP to 7

Old 12-23-2013, 02:58 AM

89 posts, read 202,795 times
The electronic products is updated very quickly, specially for the mobile phone and PC. I just replace my old cell phone last month which has been used for 3 years. As for my notebook which i bought when i was sophomore. Now i still use it and it works well.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
I still use a 3rd Gen iPod from 2003 or so. The battery is done, but its still being used in my work room. I have a Dell laptop from 2005 that is still running (albeit rarely used).

The oldest electronic equipment I currently have is a LaserDisc player from 1991. I actually took that from my parents when they were cleaning the house.

I think for the most part, most of these thing becomes obsolete before they actually die. Aside from a Sony Blu-Ray player, I can't recall the last time an electronic component died while in use. The first flat panel TV I got (2007) is now hanging in the basement... unused.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Dude, you really should clean those cobwebs...

It will last exactly until you have spent all your available money on other stuff + one day. Appliances are like that. You can make it last a year longer than that if you keep a baseball bat visible and threaten it from time to time.
I want to see the spider that made them. Or maybe I don't.

"Last" isn't necessarily descriptive of how long something is useful. Yes, many people have TVs for 15, 20, 25+ years. But how often have they been used in the last 2/3 of that time? I had a 20" Sony TV that had been on 10+ hours a day, nearly every day, in a country club, for several years before it came my way. It sat for a while, unused, before I put it on a bracket in my garage. It had an OK picture but was definitely showing a lot of age. I used it about 10 hours a year for 12 years, then gave it to a neighbor. He used it a week and it died. So it lasted ~20 years, but for much of that it was hardly used, and the pic wasn't that great.

My bedroom TV lasted 20 years, but due to a bad cap would narrow down to a small line across the screen for the last few years. Repeated beatings would bring the pic back to nearly full size. But to say it lasted 20 years is misleading, IMO.

For me phones don't last as long as I might be inclined to use them, because I'm hard on things like that. If I used an MP3 player it would suffer the same fate, I'm sure. I seldom keep audio gear mroe than a couple years, but of what I have kept, like amps and speakers, some are 15+ years old and working as new.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I never keep a phone beyond the contract date, the improvements when upgrading are well worth the low price. We have two of those TV/VCR units that still work great but have no use for them anymore, with all the VHS tapes converted to digital. We keep them as desperation backups in a closet. The newest TV will play videos, music and display pictures from a flash drive, or DVD using the Blueray.Our oldest TV is probably 12 or so, in the bedroom and is a little dim but it doesn't matter for nighttime. We no longer use the MP3 players since the phones do the same thing now, and even the newest car plays MP3s from a flash drive or via bluetooth from the phone.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,752,385 times
The TV I enjoy most is the one that no longer functions.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Ever since electronics went away from tubes the same rule of thumb has applied. They work until they dont. That could be 1yr or 25 years or anything in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics