Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
Speaking for myself, and not yet having taken a cruise:

I find ties and shirts buttoned at the top button to be very uncomfortable. It doesn't quite feel like I'm being choked, but it isn't pleasant for me. Why would I want to be uncomfortable at dinner, while on vacation?

I can see something like a nice pair of slacks, a collared shirt and non-sneakers. I'd even go so far as a comfortable sport jacket. I understand that shorts and a T-shirt aren't always the most appropriate attire. But I don't see any reason to HAVE to wear a formal outfit to dinner on board a cruise if you don't want to, and one shouldn't be penalized for not wanting to get super dressed up while on vacation.
and that's reasonable. But be sure to avoid those cruiselines that require some degree of formal wear unless you want to eat in the buffet or pay extra for specialty restaurants. Celelbrity, P&O, Cunard and HAL would generally not be what you want. NCL is exactly what you describe, as well as the smaller, luxury cruise lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
The dress code for P&O for formal evenings is as stated here;

For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative.
I've never done P&O. As a comparison, here is Celebrity's stated dress code for men:

Gentleman’s attire for formal dining should comprise a tuxedo or dinner suit.

But the reality is that a sports jacket and tie with slacks is just fine. On some itineraries, they don't even bother with the tie.

I'm not suggesting this is a good thing OR a bad thing. I'm just pointing out that tuxedo and dark suit is not what is actually happening on board.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:21 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Living in Miami I truly see people like that on a regular basis and it truly makes me wonder 1. what is truly going through their mind when they are wearing it 2. what do they think when the realize NOBODY really dresses like this? 3. what kind of looks do they get at the checkout lane when they are buying this?
So, you see - on a regular basis - people who dress the way no one else dresses?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:

I find ties and shirts buttoned at the top button to be very uncomfortable. It doesn't quite feel like I'm being choked, but it isn't pleasant for me. Why would I want to be uncomfortable at dinner, while on vacation?

I can see something like a nice pair of slacks, a collared shirt and non-sneakers. I'd even go so far as a comfortable sport jacket. I understand that shorts and a T-shirt aren't always the most appropriate attire. But I don't see any reason to HAVE to wear a formal outfit to dinner on board a cruise if you don't want to, and one shouldn't be penalized for not wanting to get super dressed up while on vacation.
you would be within almost any cruise lines dress code. I don't think anyone would have a problem with how you want to dress or what you feel is appropriate. Many guys today, choose the dress or sport shirt without the tie and yes, maybe a sports jacket.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:23 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:

If the top button is too tight, why don't you simply buy a larger neck size?

Old 10-28-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've never done P&O. As a comparison, here is Celebrity's stated dress code for men:

But the reality is that a sports jacket and tie with slacks is just fine. On some itineraries, they don't even bother with the tie.

I'm not suggesting this is a good thing OR a bad thing. I'm just pointing out that tuxedo and dark suit is not what is actually happening on board.
It might be fine on X, it would not be fine on all lines.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:26 PM

We have begun sailing on ships with a "elegant casual/business casual/country club casual every night dress code. It is enforced, and really--anyone who can't be bothered putting on chinos and a collared shirt should stay home in the barn they obviously live in. I've only seen one person ever turned away, and they returned after changing from their shorts to slacks.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:35 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:

If you turned up wearing a sports jacket and tie on a P&O formal evening you run a very good chance of being refused entry to the dining rooms, though not the buffet.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
If you turned up wearing a sports jacket and tie on a P&O formal evening you run a very good chance of being refused entry to the dining rooms, though not the buffet.
So P&O demands that the men wear a tuxedo or a jacket that is a dark color and matches the pants?

Old 10-28-2014, 03:06 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Quote:
So P&O demands that the men wear a tuxedo or a jacket that is a dark color and matches the pants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises