Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 11:03 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times

Advertisements

Because of the moral high ground automatically implied by the mere mention of pregnancy, motherhood, and children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
It makes the situation so much sadder.
are you serious or joking?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:37 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
Exactly, she was an irresponsible pet owner and it got her pet killed.
Read the article, the dog wasn't killed.

I've had my dogs for 5 years and in that time they've only gotten out once (I accidentally left the gate open). I would've been pissed as hell if the cops would've shot one of them just for being in my driveway. PBs have the potential to be dangerous as does any other breed of dog. Should they all be shot on-site when found roaming the streets (or in this case, the front yard of the owner's house)?

It's a completely different situation if the dog is displaying aggressive behavior or threatening somebody's life, but that isn't the case here.

Walk up to the house and notify the owners in person, call animal control and watch the animal until they arrive, fire a warning shot...none of these were viable options for the officer?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:39 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
WOW! Your response shows such ignorance!!

I AM WAY MORE AFRAID OF THE POLICE IN OUR COUNTRY THAN I AM OF PITBULLS!!
Talk about an ignorant response.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:54 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
If that pitbull had mauled someone's child to death people would be saying why did they allow it to run loose. Pitbulls are dangerous. Period. If people insist on owning them, then it's up to them to ensure they don't get out or loose for the safety of others. I would prefer a dead pitbull to a dead human. It's the owners fault for not keeping us and the dog safe by making sure they could not get out. The owners think it's okay if their carelessness causes someone else to be mauled to death, but if their carelessness causes their pet to be killed then they get all upset.
Ridiculous. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Did you actually read the article?

Where in the article did any witness say the dog didn't act aggressively? Nowhere. (Which is why I made my remark above - sarcasm of people making statements based on their opinion only)

Wrong. From the article:

"According to the police, when they found the dogs on Cabrera’s property, one of the dogs “ran away” from the approaching LAPD. Drake, who had been playing with Cabrera’s daughter since she was an infant, “walked” towards the police. There was no mention of Drake acting aggressively, barking, or even growling, just “walking”."

Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
You have never made a mistake like leaving a door open? Why, such galliant and flawless salnts you are.

No - but when I do I make sure to blame the consequences of leaving that door open on anyone I can.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
Did any of the "defenders" of this action actually read the article?? The dog was shot on its own property! Not in the street...not in a neighbors yard....not acting aggressively. So now the cops can walk onto a persons property and shoot an animal that lives there for no reason other than a neighbor called and said it was "loose". Nice.
Trigger happy thugs.
Walk on to my property and shoot my dog in my yard and see what the headlines read.
There is no law that says a dog must be restrained on its own property. This was over the top use of unnecessary force.

Here let me take a guess:

"Insane manic gunowner ends up dead after shoot out with police over his dog, his stuff and his grass"

Old 01-31-2014, 12:22 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Ridiculous. Period.

Wrong. From the article:

"According to the police, when they found the dogs on Cabrera’s property, one of the dogs “ran away” from the approaching LAPD. Drake, who had been playing with Cabrera’s daughter since she was an infant, “walked” towards the police. There was no mention of Drake acting aggressively, barking, or even growling, just “walking”."
Attributed to whom?

Who made the claim that the dog just "walked toward the police"?

"No mention of Drake acting aggressively"? She we mention there was no mention of Drake flying a helicopter?

If the article said, "Next door neighbor John Doe, who witnessed the event, said the dog just walked over to the police prior to the shooting..." that would be a completely different story. But the article sites nobody that says the dog acted in a particular manner, probably because the family said that is what the dog would have done.

You might want to actually read the article again, since you didn't understand it the first time.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:36 PM

25,568 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how is the fact that she is a pregnant mother relevant?
It spins the story. Makes the police seem more uncaring, and her more of a victim.
To bad she wasn't a grandmother. Or maybe a black, paraplegic, Salvation Army worker.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:50 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
While there isn't any indication that the dog was acting aggressively, there isn't any indication that it wasn't. The cops may or may not have been a little heavy handed, but if the dog was showing aggression to the police officers, they made the right decision. I am a dog lover, and I would weep at the loss of my dog, but we need to stop elevating dogs to the level of people. They are animals, property, and although we develop attachments to them they shouldn't be elevated above police officer's safety.

In other news, that dog is going to be the most BAMF looking pitbull in LA. Talk about street cred...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events