Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:33 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
This thread has dog lovers that say the following:

It was in the owners yard, but that was O.K. for him to there.

Wrong. It was in the front of a house, but the police had no way of knowing it was at it's own home.

The dog was going towards the police officer, but it was not dangerous.

When a large Pit Bull Mix, goes towards an officer, they are not going to wait to see if it is friendly or will bite them. They shoot the dog, to make sure they are not being attacked. SOP is to shoot the dog to protect themselves and neighbors from being attacked by a large Pit Bull Mix, that is illegally running around the neighborhood. They do not dare, to take chances and end up getting bit themselves.

Apparently they police had been called by a neighbor, about a Pit Bull running around the neighborhood

Apparently the neighbor had called as they felt it was a threat to people and the police went there to stop a threat to the neighborhood. The dog went towards the police and they did the logical thing and shot the dog.

It was in in it's own yard, and had a right to be there. The police should have knocked on the door and let her know it was running free.

Wrong. The police had no way of knowing it was in it's own yard. It was a dog running free in the neighborhood. There is no way of knowing how far away from home it had been running before it got back to it's own home, and how many people had been frightened by it. Some frightened person reported a Pit Bull running free going around frightening people.

This all points out, you are responsible to keep your dog in a fenced yard, and make sure the dog is not running free. We have a greyhound, which is a large dog, and greyhounds love to run if the gate is open. Our back yard is about a quarter of an acre, fenced with a chain link fence and has 2 gates. We keep the gates padlocked, only unlocking them when we need to have access. That is what any good dog owner does. If your gate can be left open, you are risking your dog's life.

It does not matter that the dog was in it's own unfenced yard. It was running free in a neighborhood, and could only be construed to be a threat to people especially children in the neighborhood. It went towards the police, and it was shot. Problem solved. The problem was caused by the owner, who was irresponsible and let the dog run free. End of story.
I wish I had a million reps to give you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 12:50 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
50 years ago this wouldn't have even been considered news I grew up in 70's and dogs were outside dogs that got to come in sometimes, living in nice CA weather.

These day everyone, incl family dogs are family members inside.

I was attacked by Dobberman's as a kid, but I still like the breed, just stupid owner.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:59 AM

17 posts, read 23,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
If that pitbull had mauled someone's child to death people would be saying why did they allow it to run loose. Pitbulls are dangerous. Period. If people insist on owning them, then it's up to them to ensure they don't get out or loose for the safety of others. I would prefer a dead pitbull to a dead human. It's the owners fault for not keeping us and the dog safe by making sure they could not get out. The owners think it's okay if their carelessness causes someone else to be mauled to death, but if their carelessness causes their pet to be killed then they get all upset.

I don't understand why just because it is a pit bull you think that it has to be aggressive and that it would maul someone to death. Pit bulls can be some of the most friendly caring compassionate dogs out there. And no before you think I must be a pit bull owner I am not. It all depends on how that animal is raised. I own a dog that is known for loyalty compassion and said to be great with people and children and loves interaction and my dog is social fear aggressive (meaning he is afraid of initial socialization and reacts with the judgement of instict to protect). I take the extra steps I have to take to make sure that he is secured at all time and muzzled when in public, but don't judge a dog because of the breed. Just like to the other that posted it was acting aggressively towards the police on it's own property. My dog would do the same, and I have warnings posted of private property, beware of dog, aggressive dog on premises and if you don't belong on my property I will greatly reward my pet for going to attack. Because his job is to protect my home.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Ridiculous. Period.

Wrong. From the article:

"According to the police, when they found the dogs on Cabrera’s property, one of the dogs “ran away†from the approaching LAPD. Drake, who had been playing with Cabrera’s daughter since she was an infant, “walked†towards the police. There was no mention of Drake acting aggressively, barking, or even growling, just “walkingâ€."
Wow, the police knew that Drake had played with the daughter since she was an infant?

The police said that one of the dogs ran away when they arrived. They did not say that Drake wasn't acting aggressively, barking or growling.

The author of the story did a **** poor job of writing it; therefore, I guess I can't put too much blame on you for not being able to decipher it.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
Just like to the other that posted it was acting aggressively towards the police on it's own property. My dog would do the same, and I have warnings posted of private property, beware of dog, aggressive dog on premises and if you don't belong on my property I will greatly reward my pet for going to attack. Because his job is to protect my home.
If your dog is within a confining fence, then it would not be shot by police. However once your dog is outside of the fence, and free roaming, free then it is another story. Your warning signs mean nothing. The dog is aggressive as you state, and when running free and going towards the police the dog should be shot, and possibly you being cited and have to go to court for letting an aggressive dog run free.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 PM

17 posts, read 23,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If your dog is within a confining fence, then it would not be shot by police. However once your dog is outside of the fence, and free roaming, free then it is another story. Your warning signs mean nothing. The dog is aggressive as you state, and when running free and going towards the police the dog should be shot, and possibly you being cited and have to go to court for letting an aggressive dog run free.
My dog runs free on my property that also has an electric fence that keeps in the confines of the limits and boundaries I have set for him. So just because there is not a chain link fence or privacy fence does not always mean that the animal is running free. It may look like it but he is very well confined and with a shock collar as well. It would be unjustified to just assume that he is roaming free on his own property and yes laws protect me with all of those signs posted.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Likely the police where there for a reason and actually called. Sad things happen as we have seen with dogs attacking children. I am a dog owner but some dogs are not to be free at all even by owner mistake with out consequecnces and something bad happening.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:59 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
My belief is that this incident never took place. IOW, a scam. I was unable to locate any real article that mentioned the shooting. The reason the linked "article" was written poorly was because it was lifted from the dog owner's plea for cash and sent around the web by an organization with an agenda.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSleepInGeorgia View Post
My dog runs free on my property that also has an electric fence that keeps in the confines of the limits and boundaries I have set for him. So just because there is not a chain link fence or privacy fence does not always mean that the animal is running free. It may look like it but he is very well confined and with a shock collar as well. It would be unjustified to just assume that he is roaming free on his own property and yes laws protect me with all of those signs posted.
Do you have signs stating such?

The problem with electric fences is, a cop has to go with what he sees ... and if he sees the animal running free, that's what he has to go with. He only has a split-second to make the decision, and unfortunately, it's a case of better safe than sorry.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:06 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Do you have signs stating such?

The problem with electric fences is, a cop has to go with what he sees ... and if he sees the animal running free, that's what he has to go with. He only has a split-second to make the decision, and unfortunately, it's a case of better safe than sorry.
Not for the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events