Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:11 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,971,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethemaverick View Post
Oh. It's you.

Anyway, I think it says something about the boy that he turned himself in. He still has some good in him - even if it's just a tiny bit - and it needs to be preserved before he turns into yet another blight on society. The boy deserves to be punished for the phone and for what he did to the teacher. Alternative school for the remainder of the year, at the very least. Probation for a year. Some sort of restitution, if possible. Perhaps community service in an senior residence center. Take that tiny bit of good and try to make it grow. That won't happen in prison, or even juvy.

As a sub, I also think it was a mistake to try to take the boy's phone, even though she had every right to. Discipline is a very weird, tricky, "hill you want to die on" kind of thing when you sub with older kids. Never confiscate a student's property is probably one of the first things they teach you. We don't know what kind of classroom their regular teacher keeps - and if his/hers was lax and you call yourself trying to be Mr. or Ms. Hard Tail, it can be a disaster.

I tend to compromise on this one. You're a sub and they're going to try it. They're kids - it's nothing personal. I just tell them to put the thing up. If it happens again, I'll ask the kid to either turn over the battery or I'll call the front office and have security come and get him. I've only ever once had to call the front office, and the kid was genuinely shocked that I wasn't bluffing. His own classmates didn't feel sorry for him. Notice how a female student stuck up for the teacher? I've found that most kids are like that. I'm not surprised to see the class acting as they are, though. Kids in packs can be buttheads, even the best ones.
You see good here? Wow, you must take the "glass half full" saying VERY seriously!

Check back with this kid in 10 years and I'll bet he's a blight on society. Whatever is in someone by that age to allow this just isn't easily erased. I don't see any punishment getting through - it's just too late.

Assaulting an elderly woman like this seems akin to sexually abusing a baby or toddler - you can try to rehab the offender, but they're almost certain to reoffend. Put this guy in a cage for as long as possible - hopefully his next offense will be non-violent and put him away for even longer.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 05-18-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 07:11 PM

22,679 posts, read 24,677,688 times
He's a good young man........maybe trying to get jusssstisss for Baby-Trayvon?

Anyways, expect similar actions from people similar to this gentle young man.......and look for Libstinkers to spin tall-tales why these gorgeous young people continue to behave in such an awful manner.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,187,503 times
I don't know if any of you have lived near black ghettos as I have, but believe me the kids don't lack in discipline. Big Mama is constantly swatting them if they step out of line - this kid might not even notice it if he was given corporal punishment. On the other hand, no discipline seems to be just as disastrous. Maybe there should be a happy medium.

For this particular offense, he needs some sort of serious work on his behavior obviously, I guess he will end up in juvie but in an ideal world some attempt should be made to rehabilitate him since he's only 16 and still capable of changing. I've known lots of rabid thieving little b*stards who turned into decent people later. Many of us have gotten beaten up by little bullies when we were younger, who grew up later.

It may be he will turn out to be incorrigible, but some sort of attempt should be made ....... even in the coldhearted view of cost savings alone, even a conservative wouldn't want to have taxpayers support him in prison all his life at exorbitant expense.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:54 AM

103 posts, read 135,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You see good here?
Absolutely. He didn't have to turn himself in.

Quote:
Wow, you must take the "glass half full" saying VERY seriously!
Why not? Somebody has to with people like you around.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:10 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
This really bothers me, and people were just as guilty of GW's treatment. I don't believe a president knowingly does harm to America. I read Robert Gates book and have respect for all our presidents even if I disagree over certain issues.
What bothers me is that the other students didn't intervene.....some ran out of the way and others decided to film the assault! I could hear many students laughing, almost egging him on. I watched in disgust and wanted someone to stop him. When she kept moving towards him - someone should have helped her!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:15 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,322,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
What bothers me is that the other students didn't intervene.....some ran out of the way and others decided to film the assault! I could hear many students laughing, almost egging him on. I watched in disgust and wanted someone to stop him. When she kept moving towards him - someone should have helped her!
That is the mentality of many of the kids today. They don't feel compassion for others or responsibility to protect the weak. Something needs to be done to show them that this type of behavior won't be tolerated, and that there are consequences for bad behavior.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:27 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,467,415 times
I suspect he'd made the trip to the principal's office many times and knew it had to be done and I'm not at all sure it showed any redeeming qualities in this young man. My older brother was a large person who didn't know his own strength. He was under the threat of severe punishment if he harmed me, his little sister.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,778,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I suspect he'd made the trip to the principal's office many times and knew it had to be done and I'm not at all sure it showed any redeeming qualities in this young man. My older brother was a large person who didn't know his own strength. He was under the threat of severe punishment if he harmed me, his little sister.
Yes. He knew the routine. Probably thought he'd get off easier.

He needs rehab and to be taken away from his parents, put in some place that has strict discipline with people who really care. Won't happen though. He'll be punished and then sent back to the same school where he will probably drop out and become a criminal. There really needs to be some kind of system these kids could go though that would rehabilitate them and teach them how to act, how to control their anger, how to feel compassion.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,042,579 times
Back in my day teachers paddled students if they got out of line. Now if a teacher breaths on a student they can lose their job. I hope the women is okay. How proud that student and parents must be to push an old women to the ground. Just wow, but it is what it is I guess.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:16 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,872,902 times
Such racists comments......

there was no need to add Obama nor his parents.

Sometimes kids with the best upbringing turn out to be slobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events