Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 03:58 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I don't believe this, I know it's just an article but what kind of inconsistency can there be? I just can't believe a parent would intentionally want to harm their child and kill them.

I mean I'm having a hard time dealing with having my son circumcised when he's born! I just can't imagine!

Why not? It happens all the time. You don't have to look any further than a case of a guy like Josh Powell who murdered both his kids. Being a parent doesn't somehow imbue you with magical virtue or decency that didn't exist previously and some people just can't handle the stress of being a parent.

There's too many holes in this guy's story for me to buy it. He takes his son for breakfast to Chic-Fil-A and then completely forgets him in his car?

He goes back to his car at lunch to drop something off in the car and still doesn't notice that his son is in the back?

He then pulls off into the most public place possible, AWAY from the day care facility and makes a big show of trying to save his son's life, claiming that the boy had been choking, however witnesses and the medical examiner's own investigation confirm that the child had been dead for awhile. Why wouldn't his first response be to go to day care to pick up his son?

Or does his brain fart excuse him from forgetting to drop off AND pick up his kid on the same day?

Quote:
At 4:16 p.m., Harris left work and drove about two miles to an Akers Mill Road shopping center, where he stopped and asked for help for the child. Bystanders attempted to revive Cooper, but it was too late. The toddler was pronounced dead in the parking lot.
Harris was handcuffed at the scene because he was not cooperating with investigators, police have said. He was arrested and charged about five hours later.
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/cops-co...inues-t/ngRfn/

He drove two miles to a shopping center? What about a hospital? Emory Adventist Hospital is within minutes of there. To me his actions seem like those of someone who wanted to make a public spectacle, who wanted people to buy into what a "loving and compassionate" father he was.

Last edited by Juram; 06-26-2014 at 04:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 04:07 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,688,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
He also took the child to Chick-Fil-A for breakfast. I just can't see taking your child to breakfast, and then 5 miles down the road when you get to work, you suddenly forget the child is even in the car.

For all we know the police might have other evidence as well, and this is just what they are releasing to the public for now.

The police seem to be indicating that there is more evidence than what has been released thus far which supports their contention that this was a premeditated murder and not a simple accident.

Quote:
Cobb County Police Chief John Houser said Wednesday that he understands tragic accidents happen, but evidence indicates a "more serious crime" has been committed. He didn't elaborate on what the evidence was.

"The chain of events that occurred in this case do not point toward simple negligence and evidence will be presented to support this allegation," Houser said in a message released by the department.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:20 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
I so wanted to give this man the benefit of the doubt.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:29 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I so wanted to give this man the benefit of the doubt.
Me, too. They still haven't proven it, and it will have to go to court but ... well, it's not looking good.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Being a child of the 70's, I don't remember people leaving their kids in the car to die as much as I see it now a days.
In this day and age there should no reason to leave your kid in the car for 2-6 hours
Throw the book at Him/Her
How does "this day and age" have anything to do with anything? There was no reason to leave a child in the car that long in the '70s, either - and as someone else already mentioned, the children more often sat in FRONT back then. I was born in the '70s too, so I remember how children were not always riding in back and/or restrained. Therefore, one could conclude it's actually easier to forget a child is in the car today. Not to mention, people in general are busier and more distracted these days.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:48 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The idea of teddy bears or bags or cell phones in the back seat as reminders- wouldn't these placements also go onto autopilot?
Yes, but a woman (and I guess some men) would never be without their purse for long without noticing! If I get out of my car and head into work, the store, etc, I'm not likely to forget that my purse is still in the car - at the very least, when I go to pay for something or make a phone call, I'd then realize it was left behind. Also, the "autopilot" nature will also auto-pilot you to grab that item whenever you exit the car. Sometimes I'll drive somewhere without my purse, and instinctively reach for it when I arrive... probably would look a bit stupid to someone else, as I grasp at thin air for a good 5 seconds before remembering.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Unfortunately it happens all the time. There was a story just the other week about a mother who was making her son sick to get sympathy online, she ended up putting a lethal dose of sodium in his feeding tube and it killed him.

Andrea Yates drowned her 5 kids in the bathtub.

The mom in the mid 90s who let her car roll into a lake with her two kids strapped inside the vehicle.
I meant in this case, not in general, yeah I worked in forensics for years and saw cases where parents obviously intentionally hurt their children, but nothing in the article sited makes me go "yeah that was totally intentional." Maybe they are withholding details, but as it is I don't see it at the moment.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How does "this day and age" have anything to do with anything? There was no reason to leave a child in the car that long in the '70s, either - and as someone else already mentioned, the children more often sat in FRONT back then. I was born in the '70s too, so I remember how children were not always riding in back and/or restrained. Therefore, one could conclude it's actually easier to forget a child is in the car today. Not to mention, people in general are busier and more distracted these days.
So how many times have left your child in a hot car for 6 hours?
3 Kids and 1 pretty stressful job and I have not once even gotten close to leaving my kids in the car.
Please reread my post and you will see we that agree
If the breaking news is true I stand by my statement of throwing the book at him.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I meant in this case, not in general, yeah I worked in forensics for years and saw cases where parents obviously intentionally hurt their children, but nothing in the article sited makes me go "yeah that was totally intentional." Maybe they are withholding details, but as it is I don't see it at the moment.
You can't possibly so how this man could have intentionally killed his child? I even thought the original article seemed suspicious. He forgot to drop off AND pick up his 2 year old up from his work's on site daycare? This was a two year old (or 22 month old, but close to 2) that he had probably been taking to and picking up from daycare for a while now.

It takes him a good ten minutes after he's left work to even look in his rear view mirror and notice the car seat (which was rear facing) and he just so happens to be driving by an extremely busy shopping center at the time? If I realized my child was in distress in the back of my car, I would pull off the road right then and there. I wouldn't wait to make the next turn and then wait till I came up to a parking lot. But no, he goes to a busy shopping center where there would be lots of witnesses. I've picked up my SO from work earlier before around 4, and there is no one in their parking garage. This guy didn't want to "discover his son at work, because there wouldn't be any witnesses. So he drives someplace where he knows there will be plenty of witnesses on a sunny Wednesday afternoon.

And now that more has come out, I don't see how its unimaginable that the man did this. He just took the child to breakfast a mile away from his work. So he remembers his son most of the way to work, since he remembered to get him breakfast, but somehow during the last mile or so he suddenly forgets that he JUST ate breakfast with this child and strapped him in his car seat? Then he goes to his car during his lunch break? Doesn't notice his son there? And its been said that he looked up on his work computer how long it takes an animal to die from overheating in a car? Who looks that type of stuff up?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Looks like he might be guilty. If so, why would a person do such a thing?

Psychosis? A way to gain sympathy, time off from work, $$ from friends/family to help bury the child, then save $$ in future (no child to support) so he can move on and buy a home and ditch the condo, as it has been reported he and his wife wanted to do:

"Harris, a Tuscaloosa, Alabama, native, had been working at Home Depot as a web developer for just over two years. Harris, his wife Leanna and Cooper were renting a condo off Terrell Mill Road, but hoped to buy a home."
Justin Ross Harris internet searched how long it takes for an animal to die in a hot car before his toddler son died in the same way | Mail Online

Money and Sympathy.
I don't think that boy was his son. He looked NOTHING like him. Maybe he knew this.

He was a beautiful little boy. So sad. What a truly evil man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events