Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 06:53 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Most people think a CWP course qualifies as "extensive"...
I , heartily, agree. And its not.This is one area that regs can be snugged up in. It wouldn't be hard to do, and we would see far more truly capable CCW holders. I just cannot defend some of what is supposed to be "passing standard" , and even as lax as it is, a lot barely pass.

The cjoicest I've seen, personally, was a county assistant DA. . He could barely cut paper, at all, with a 4" revolver on a B27 at 7 yards. , and his handling skills make Barney Fife look like Hickock himself. And he passed...no problem. That is , really, the only change I would make with the shall issue CCW laws. I just don't see it as that much to ask, that both students and instructors, alike, to take it upon themselves to assure capable and decently proficient graduates.

It will take some people longer than others to get their CCW, but I don't see a problem with that either. There is zero reason or sense in granting a weapons permit to a person who has no clue, no experience and just can't , properly, handle it. . Actually, many anti CCW people would be shocked to see how lax LE qualifications are. These folks ate fond of saying only police need guns and they are who we should rely on. If they only knew how many officers are just as inept as that DA I mentioned earlier. That fact seems to make total reliance on police iffy, coupled with the fact that people can't carry a cop around whence they roam.

Another good reason to have the most capable armed citizenry possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 07:45 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Any carried weapon that isnt loaded is useless in a mugging or assault. What will you do, say wait a minute, i have to load my weapon? Any weapon carried loaded is at high risk of being used against you. Your assailant can jump you from behind, and follow your hands reaching for your weapon, and get it first and use it against you. Meanwhile, unless you sleep with that weapon on you, and are a light sleeper, you run the risk of someone else in your household using it, even if its locked up. You think kids cannot take your keys while you are asleep and make a copy? Kids cannot break open locked display cases? They certainly find and use hidden firearms. Again, if there is an intruder who doesnt wake you until they are in your room, its too late to find and load that firearm. And people use their own guns to commit suicide or homicide far more often than they ever do to defend against an assailant or intruder.

I can understand if you live in a remote area with no police force, keeping a weapon in the house, locked up separately from the ammo. Even with dogs and alarms, you have no recourse if there is an intruder. But for most of us, dogs and an alarm system make far more sense than a weapon.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:49 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I , heartily, agree. And its not.This is one area that regs can be snugged up in. It wouldn't be hard to do, and we would see far more truly capable CCW holders. I just cannot defend some of what is supposed to be "passing standard" , and even as lax as it is, a lot barely pass.

The cjoicest I've seen, personally, was a county assistant DA. . He could barely cut paper, at all, with a 4" revolver on a B27 at 7 yards. , and his handling skills make Barney Fife look like Hickock himself. And he passed...no problem. That is , really, the only change I would make with the shall issue CCW laws. I just don't see it as that much to ask, that both students and instructors, alike, to take it upon themselves to assure capable and decently proficient graduates.

It will take some people longer than others to get their CCW, but I don't see a problem with that either. There is zero reason or sense in granting a weapons permit to a person who has no clue, no experience and just can't , properly, handle it. . Actually, many anti CCW people would be shocked to see how lax LE qualifications are. These folks ate fond of saying only police need guns and they are who we should rely on. If they only knew how many officers are just as inept as that DA I mentioned earlier. That fact seems to make total reliance on police iffy, coupled with the fact that people can't carry a cop around whence they roam.

Another good reason to have the most capable armed citizenry possible.
I personally feel that to have a CWP, you need to demonstrate PROFICIENCY with the weapon. Not simply that you can fire it, and reload it, but that you can accurately deploy the weapon rapidly, decisively, and SAFELY!

You do not give a person a driver's license without these things being present. At least, not when I got mine. I do not feel that someone should get a CWP "just 'cause".

Maybe some will infer that I am advocating a curbing of 2A rights. I strongly disagree. When you carry a weapon, you are arguing "intent". You have it on you with the intent to use it to defend life and limb. Once you begin to include "intent" along with "possession", you then start to edge away from "Your Rights" and into the realm of "Other's Rights", and the rights of the State, etc. in my opinion.

I personally feel that most police qualification standards are abysmally low, and should be the lowest standard that a CWP applicant should have to pass to be issued a permit.

Maybe I'm in a majority here with the gun owning crowd, but that's my .02 and I'm sticking to it.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:56 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Any carried weapon that isnt loaded is useless in a mugging or assault. Agreed. What will you do, say wait a minute, i have to load my weapon? Any weapon carried loaded is at high risk of being used against you. I disagree. Your assailant can jump you from behind, and follow your hands reaching for your weapon, and get it first and use it against you. This is not even remotely sensible. If someone has already gone hands-on with you, from behind, you handle the problem hands-on yourself until/unless you find yourself in a favorable position to draw. Drawing and firing your weapon at someone who has you grabbed from behind is just not practical or timely. It's a weird fantasy scenario to support what you're trying to advocate as likely. Meanwhile, unless you sleep with that weapon on you, and are a light sleeper, you run the risk of someone else in your household using it, even if its locked up. I have noone else in my household. Each person must evaluate their own household. You think kids cannot take your keys while you are asleep and make a copy? Kids cannot break open locked display cases? They certainly find and use hidden firearms. Again, if there is an intruder who doesnt wake you until they are in your room, its too late to find and load that firearm. This is why my firearms are loaded and nearby. It's also why I lock doors and windows. And people use their own guns to commit suicide or homicide far more often than they ever do to defend against an assailant or intruder. There are numerous studies which refute or at very least make this very debatable.

I can understand if you live in a remote area with no police force, keeping a weapon in the house, locked up separately from the ammo. Totally worthless, then.Even with dogs and alarms, you have no recourse if there is an intruder. But for most of us, dogs and an alarm system make far more sense than a weapon.
My opinions and responses in red...

Dogs and alarms are great "heads up" type "things".

Most everyone I knew grew up rural, and knew right where their parents firearms were. Noone ever used any of them for ill that I am aware of. I certainly didn't.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:56 AM

215 posts, read 390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Another "responsible" gun owner wins the Darwin Award.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
yeah I cant believe she left it in her purse and so close to the kid and then just left it there unattended?

I mean, it's a miracle the kid didn't accidentally shoot himself, too.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
My opinions and responses in red...

Dogs and alarms are great "heads up" type "things".

Most everyone I knew grew up rural, and knew right where their parents firearms were. Noone ever used any of them for ill that I am aware of. I certainly didn't.
the kid in the article was a toddler and didn't know better

he probably had no idea what the hell he was even holding

anyway he had no ill will, It was an ugly accident.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Any carried weapon that isnt loaded is useless in a mugging or assault. What will you do, say wait a minute, i have to load my weapon? Any weapon carried loaded is at high risk of being used against you. Your assailant can jump you from behind, and follow your hands reaching for your weapon, and get it first and use it against you. Meanwhile, unless you sleep with that weapon on you, and are a light sleeper, you run the risk of someone else in your household using it, even if its locked up. You think kids cannot take your keys while you are asleep and make a copy? Kids cannot break open locked display cases? They certainly find and use hidden firearms. Again, if there is an intruder who doesnt wake you until they are in your room, its too late to find and load that firearm. And people use their own guns to commit suicide or homicide far more often than they ever do to defend against an assailant or intruder.
I think you're seriously confusing legal gun owners and unregistered gun owners when you say people use their own guns to murder more than to defend against intruders.

and as for your first statement? that's retarded. So you are saying no one should even own a gun to try to even defend themselves since, if anyone broke into their home, they wouldn't be able to get to it fast enough anyway?

as if the police will somehow miraculously show up in 3 seconds, even if you could get to a phone to begin with? which you wouldn't , most likely.

what would be your "logical" solution? just die? just don't own a gun at all and accept the fact you might not get to it fast enough to use it anyway even if you had too? just be ok with that and not even try?

if the robber kills me then oh well?

your reasoning on this post has no common sense what so ever

Old 01-01-2015, 08:10 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
The health risk of having a gun in the home | MinnPost

Like I said before, irrational fear often turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy. But hey, the 2nd amendment clearly states they have the right to kill themselves and their families, so what the heck. Thinning of the herd.
Excellent article. It should be titled "Live by the Gun, Die by the Gun."

Old 01-01-2015, 08:12 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
I personally feel that to have a CWP, you need to demonstrate PROFICIENCY with the weapon. Not simply that you can fire it, and reload it, but that you can accurately deploy the weapon rapidly, decisively, and SAFELY!

You do not give a person a driver's license without these things being present. At least, not when I got mine. I do not feel that someone should get a CWP "just 'cause".

Maybe some will infer that I am advocating a curbing of 2A rights. I strongly disagree. When you carry a weapon, you are arguing "intent". You have it on you with the intent to use it to defend life and limb. Once you begin to include "intent" along with "possession", you then start to edge away from "Your Rights" and into the realm of "Other's Rights", and the rights of the State, etc. in my opinion.

I personally feel that most police qualification standards are abysmally low, and should be the lowest standard that a CWP applicant should have to pass to be issued a permit.

Maybe I'm in a majority here with the gun owning crowd, but that's my .02 and I'm sticking to it.
Actually....I would argue you are in the majority....or did u mean minority? All the people I shoot with feel this way. LE , as they are setting the bar, needs to step it up, and programs like the DCM could get involved. Practice and instruction should NOT be difficult to find, or prohibitively expensive. LE and the training community could be way more proactive with all aspects of firearms training. From awareness and safety all the way to carry permit status. And...the latter needs to be an earned status, on that we seem to readily agree.

I see no reason to apologize for this opinion, either. Its not a tactic to see permitting denied. It will just take some people longer to vet their permit, and when they do, they will be as ready as possible.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I can understand if you live in a remote area with no police force, keeping a weapon in the house, locked up separately from the ammo. Even with dogs and alarms, you have no recourse if there is an intruder. But for most of us, dogs and an alarm system make far more sense than a weapon.
you've obviously never had your home broken into before have you?

besides many people have an alarm, maybe a dog, and a gun too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events