Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:17 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
Why is there an assumption that this is government controlling every aspect of our lives? There are plenty of other things that legitimately are (looking at the Repubs here), but requiring sick leave isn't controlling our lives.

Not sure if you have experience with childbirth, but it is actually a mix of health benefits and leave. You don't go to work immediately after childbirth.

Just like small businesses have to pay taxes and SSI among other things.
Yes, just like taxes. Now imagine that business having their taxes doubled at the drop of the hat. How many would stay in business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 02:23 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If he was really that valuable, he would demand a ridiculously high salary in exchange for essentially being an indentured servant.

In reality, it's usually poor management practices (like not cross training) that place businesses in the precarious position where they are dependent on specific individuals.
You're not wrong. This guy was and is paid very well (but not well enough for all that), and also received a lot of intra-company awards and such. He also got to wear whatever the he|| he wanted. He eventually did take a pretty good sabbatical - three months I believe. Now he mainly works remotely.

His problem was he was incredibly efficient and knowledgeable, he was the *architect* of a lot of infrastructure in a particular part of the company, and he had enviable industry contacts. The company was highly dependent, addicted even. He was the first person on everyone's lips when any of a whole laundry list of things went wrong.

Things are a bit better now, and he was a cautionary tale and lesson for people like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 191185 View Post
What slack is there to pick up?
Well, things still have to get done. I'm not sure I understand the question, actually. If there's no slack to pick up, why is this person who is temporarily out employed?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:27 PM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
If you work for a large company it likely does make no sense to you. Having owned my own business and presently working for a small employer it makes a lot of sense to me.How about when your relief calls out sick with a hangover calling it the flu and you are the only one there??
You deal with it. That's why managers make the big bucks. And if they can't deal with an employee calling in sick for a day or two, they don't deserve to be managers, at either a large, small, or in-between company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
These combined buckets are often a "use it or lose it" setup, whereas with dedicated days for each purpose, at least a portion of unused vacation can be rolled over to the next year.
It depends on the benefits arrangement; I've worked at places with combined PTO where you could roll over a set number of days, and places with separate vacation and sick leave where a set number of days could be rolled over. I've worked at places where you couldn't roll over anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Yes people do abuse all sorts of things. I do not think the government should be able to force employers to pay for those taking advantage.
It's the employer's responsibility to investigate if someone is "taking advantage" or not, not the government's.

Although it's hard to imagine how anyone can abuse a few days of sick leave.

Quote:
I certainly agree no one should lose their job because they are legitimately sick. But why should a small employer hanging on by their bootstraps be forced to pay them??
So the employer can retain that employee, avoid having to retrain a new employee every time someone gets sick, and build some continuity into the business. And because it's the right thing to do.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:35 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
For those against maternity leave are you against paid short term disability?
The insurance company pays for that, no I am not against it. I'm not against maternity leave either. It just seems weird to pay someone who has no time off due to them for nothing.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can argue both sides of this argument, both with great passion.

On the one hand, women don't get pregnant and become parents by themselves.

On the other hand, if you give women six weeks of paid leave after having a baby, then it's only fair that new fathers get the same amount of leave - and adoptive parents too.
They do get it.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:40 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
The insurance company pays for that, no I am not against it. I'm not against maternity leave either. It just seems weird to pay someone who has no time off due to them for nothing.
Also, would the same companies offer maternity leave to the father? I believe companies should offer week to recover from the procedure. After that, they should take vacation/PTO in conjunction with the initial week. If they do not have the PTO, then the time off is unpaid. Pretty simple. I even think the week would be generous. If I have an extreme medical procedure, I'm not given 'extra' time off to take care of it. I have my sick time and my vacation time. If I need more than that, it is short term disability or non-paid time off.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:43 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
They do get it.
VERY few companies offer this.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I would think it would be discrimination not to.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:00 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
If leave is available for adoption it's typically available to both genders. Maternity leave is tied to a medical issue and recovery

Old 01-16-2015, 05:17 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
and paid maternity leave. On the maternity leave, isn't that a choice and a very personal one? Why should anyone else pay someone's time off to have a baby?
Actually, the idea is that it is one of the employee's benefits. Thus, the employee earns it by virtue of working for the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
If leave is available for adoption it's typically available to both genders. Maternity leave is tied to a medical issue and recovery
The more neutral and universal "parental leave" is used in some other countries. The United States is unusual amongst developed countries (and many developing countries) in that it has no paid maternal or parental leave requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events