Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 07:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Legalizing what?

Alcohol?

You know, alcohol - which has factored in the deaths of tens of thousands of Coloradans since Prohibition was repealed?

You know what is fascinating?

What's fascinating is that people can be totally cool with a substance that kills hundreds of Americans every week because it was legal yesterday and last month and last year, but legalize another substance that only kills a fraction of the people and people wet their pants.

That's fascinating. And a testament to the ability of people to slavishly worship the status quo.

No, what is fascinating is that we can have a substance that we allowed to be legal kill tons of people and ruin lives and instead of learning our lesson about how people can't handle this substance we decide to make more stupid substances legal.

When the comparison is made between pot and alcohol, why don't people see that the general public is incapable of responsibly handling these things? Instead, like a bunch of juveniles, they say, "Oh yeah? Well, if you can do this how come I can't do that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 08:29 AM

463 posts, read 320,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
When the comparison is made between pot and alcohol, why don't people see that the general public is incapable of responsibly handling these things?
I hate to break the news to you sir, but millions upon millions are using cannabis responsibly every day, and have been for decades (especially starting in the 1970's). So you really do want to continue to send the ones unlucky enough to get caught with some to jail?

Have you read this thread at all? Instead of chiming in with useless, tired misinformation, why not address some of the specific points made in this thread?

BTW, it has been legal in Colorado and Washington for well over a year now. Please come here and point to the where the general public is being irresponsible with it and where the resulting social chaos is.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:31 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
I hate to break the news to you sir, but millions upon millions are using cannabis responsibly every day, and have been for decades (especially starting in the 1970's). So you really do want to continue to send the ones unlucky enough to get caught with some to jail?

Have you read this thread at all? Instead of chiming in with useless, tired misinformation, why not address some of the specific points made in this thread?

BTW, it has been legal in Colorado and Washington for well over a year now. Please come here and point to the where the general public is being irresponsible with it and where the resulting social chaos is.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:17 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
No, what is fascinating is that we can have a substance that we allowed to be legal kill tons of people and ruin lives and instead of learning our lesson about how people can't handle this substance we decide to make more stupid substances legal.

When the comparison is made between pot and alcohol, why don't people see that the general public is incapable of responsibly handling these things? Instead, like a bunch of juveniles, they say, "Oh yeah? Well, if you can do this how come I can't do that?"
The lesson we learned is that prohibition doesn't work, and leads to crime. No one stopped drinking when it was illegal, it was still easy to get if you had the money, and it led to huge organized crime syndicates and made them all rich, while taking tax money out of the coffers and spending more state money on jails, police, etc. Just like pot now. Your argument assumes prohibition works, but any 14 year old could go to any mall in the country and come out 10 minutes later with a joint behind his ears. It's not "should we or shouldn't we smoke pot?" because we can't control whether people do or not...since we can't stop it, why keep throwing billions at it and ruining lives? For what purpose? Can you name any good things that have come out of prohibition of any substance, any time in history that it actually worked? if not, what exactly are you arguing for?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledOne View Post
This is what I meant with my analogy. The things you are saying just don't line up with reality.

If you want to be anti-marijuana, fine. I think it'll be more effective, though, if you learn the truth about the thing you're criticizing, so your arguments sound more credible. Right now, using language like "out of touch with reality" makes it sound like you're screaming, "The sky is red!"

To answer your question directly:

No, no, no. Marijuana doesn't make you out of touch with reality. Saying that it does makes YOU out of touch with reality.
Quote:

Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Really, you think ONE YEAR is going to give accurate outcomes in CO and WA??!!

Last edited by Marka; 02-02-2015 at 03:56 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 06:07 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

You'd think if the "dope effects from pot" (really, even Nancy Grace could come up with a more coherent line than that) were that bad, they'd have some meaningful effects that were more apparent. Instead, crime is down, as are traffic fatalities in Colorado which are at "near-historic lows." Unemployment is also down there.

Could be because of the new jobs created in a new industry.

After six months of legal pot, Colorado seems okay - Fortune

Old 01-30-2015, 06:11 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,995 times
Quote:

So if some-one cant handle coffee, we have to imprison all the coffee shop owners at the taxpayers expense ?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:15 PM

463 posts, read 320,533 times
Quote:

It has been 1 year of LEGALIZED cannabis. It actually has been used, like I said, for decades by millions. Including in Colorado and Washington.

I'm sorry you don't believe that, do some research if you like.

So how long will Colorado and Washington have to go without breaking down into chaos before you will start to even consider that your position might be wrong?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:31 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
It has been 1 year of LEGALIZED cannabis. It actually has been used, like I said, for decades by millions. Including in Colorado and Washington.

I'm sorry you don't believe that, do some research if you like.

So how long will Colorado and Washington have to go without breaking down into chaos before you will start to even consider that your position might be wrong?
The chaos has already started!

OMG REEFER MADNESS.

I tried pot once....ONE time...now I want it. I want it soo bad. And I've even started to sleep with other races. Seriously, before the reefer madness I had no interest in colored women, but now I do.

Oh wait....

Seriously folks, its been used for decades, the only truly bad thing occurring has been the war on drugs.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:16 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Quote:
Perhaps. They are treating cannabis for what it IS, not what some want it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events