Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:04 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Only if the criminals are black/Latino.

If they discovered that young white women were the thieves in 95% of the cases, I doubt that they'd start profiling young white women. At most, they'd just be suspicious of everyone.

Basically, if black people steal, black people get profiled. If white people steal, everyone gets profiled.
Unfortunately, that's how it is with pretty much everything regarding crime these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 10:19 PM

163 posts, read 273,324 times
At the store I used to work at, even if we didn't want to to profile, it was so difficult not to. 90% of the store shoplifters happened to be black "unfortunately". They'd come in with empty/flat purses and leave the store with fat purses filled with merchandise. They were "regulars" and sometimes worked in groups. Of course, we can't do much as associates only "work" around them and offer them customer service.

Can't really do anything unless it's caught on camera and you see them physically put the merchandise on their purses. Can't even chase them out of the store.

As associates we were CONSISTENTLY trained NOT to profile, but what you see while working as an associate will make you feel otherwise.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:41 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
So she's the same shoplifter and apparently she's on video and still she calls police and when asked by police manager refuses to show and evidence? Now she's to sue the store even though they have all the evidence. Looks like this lady does have some guts. You may want to read a little further.
I did. It's never established that she is not a shoplifter.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:34 AM

100 posts, read 93,704 times
What used to be target marketing is now profiling and somehow offensive. Just look at what we have to go through to get on a plane.

Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,501,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I did. It's never established that she is not a shoplifter.

And what does it show to establish that the shopper was a shoplifter? Oh yes because employee says so and has video but will not show even when cop shows up Do you seriously believe this lady is dumb enough to involve police and sue the store knowing her video is there as evidence to show she's indeed a shoplifter?

You have your well-established logic though so no further discussion is required.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:27 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
I spent close to ten years in retail management at a major department store on the west coast. You are spot on in your comments. I'll add in Southern Cal, different immigrant groups did the price switching or returning low end merch with high end receipt/tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
okay, thanks for stating the obvious. Now, going back to the actual subject of the thread which features stories of several people who committed NO CRIME AT ALL, what's do you have to say about that?

I don't know if this is a case of "all black people look alike" or these stores just looking for a reason to suspect someone of a certain color so use other alleged incidences as proof, but either way, these stores look guilty as heck.

Incidentally, I've worked at quite a few retail stores, from grocery stores to high end retail selling Cartier and La Mer and, SOLELY BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, here is what I've discovered:

-Older, white women were, BY FAR, the most likely to shoplift. Without a doubt, they even surpassed teens (they didn't come in as often as teens, but ratio wise, they were the most likely to steal). I found this to be across the board of stores I've worked in, from grocery and clothing up to electronics and higher end goods.

-Older, Asian women, most often than not immigrants, were the MOST likely to lie about prices. They would bring something up to the register (most often at the grocery stores I worked at) and would claim that ITEM XYZ wasn't the $5 that came up but was advertised as being $1. At one store I worked at, the managers were so gung-ho about pleasing the customer that they never questioned it when a couple of people fitting this description did this. But after investigation, they would discover the blatant lies. It got to the point that employees were told to never take a customer's word for it when there's a price discrepancy and to check the price (which invariably holds up the line and slows everything down). Oh, and they were the most likely to make a scene, insisting that they were right, and walking off without buying anything at all

-Teens of all ages and races/ethnicity suck. It doesn't matter if they look like stereotypical African American "hood rats" or Japanese "Harvard-bound" brainiacs, the one thing that all had in common was that they were all suspicious and often flat out thieves. If anything, the quiet, suburban types were slightly more likely yet it was often the inner city kids who were watched.

-Men were least likely to steal and more often than not, were very obvious. I can't recall a single time at my job where a straight-laced looking, employed man of any race stealing (it was more often homeless looking bums, teens, and a couple of "bro" college guys stealing booze once). On the other hand, I've seen women wearing business suits get brought in to the security office

Again, the above is based solely on my experience from working at nearly a dozen different stores and is not meant to be reflective of entire races and groups of people. If anything, my point is that, while "shopping while black" IS a REAL thing (have been a victim of it myself; when you work in retail long enough, you know when you are being watched by employees!), it's hard to attribute shoplifting to one specific race, at least it was based on my experience. YMMV, especially depending on your location (all of this was mostly in Boston and Chicago). Maybe, in the Portland area, the majority of the shoplifters are black women so this has tainted their judgement. I've always thought it was funny that, while security is so busy watching me, they are ignoring other potential suspects.

Better to just be suspicious of everyone acting suspicious, regardless of race/ethnicity/age/gender/income level/etc.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I spent close to ten years in retail management at a major department store on the west coast. You are spot on in your comments. I'll add in Southern Cal, different immigrant groups did the price switching or returning low end merch with high end receipt/tags.
I am not understanding how one does this?

Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,608,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
And what does it show to establish that the shopper was a shoplifter? ....
You have your well-established logic though so no further discussion is required.
Nope. I never said this, but you have already established guilt without any proof so I suppose it's par for the course.

The article also does not establish that she did shoplift. The article did not establish that she didn't
Nothing more than that. It's an accusation by an individual kicked out of a store. Yet some of you, who have claimed to have read the article, have already concluded that she is completely innocent and this is another case of racism. Take off those "I'm Black" glasses.

At this point it's nothing more than that. Completely logical.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times
Didn't read the thread...did somebody
get arrested for "Shopping while black?"

Old 03-01-2015, 02:56 PM

From the article (this may or may not be for Burns but is related with same lawsuit)

"In a recording of the call, an employee admits to police that nobody saw the woman steal anything."We haven't seen her place anything in her bag or anything yet at this point, but she's, you know, obvious signs of it, looking around often, you know, that kind of deal," the employee said on the recording."

Really! You have no proof of anything and just because employee feels she's upto no good as she's looking "around" and may steal you'll kick her out? I hope they win this lawsuit.

Shoppers claim racial discrimination in lawsuits against Portlan - KPTV - FOX 12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events