Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:31 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times

Advertisements

Of course it is a learned behavior, but perhaps you forgot one aspect of where it is learned. Maybe it is learned by what a person observes on a daily basis. For example, if we see certain groups of people doing certain things that we know are wrong, that forms our opinions and prejudices.

I've made this comment before.........if you think all blacks are hard working, honest people, go and live among them in a low income area for a couple of years and then come back and tell us your opinion then. I did just that, and it was an eye opening experience. Chris Rock made the perfect comment when he said "Even blacks don't like "N"ers." I bet he is absolutely correct.

Now, before everyone gets all PC on me here, let me say I am not prejudiced against the majority of black Americans, but I absolutely have zero respect for the ones like we saw in Fergusen. Also let me say that blacks don't have an exclusive when it comes to low class, lazy, law breaking people, we whites certainly have our share too.

Therefore, I agree with your opening statement.......racism is a learned behavior.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 06:12 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,002 times
its a learned behavior but its also a two way street, one side cannot change unless the other side changes too. and by looking at current affairs, that not going to happen. Its kinda a game, what can i get out of it, how can i win over the other side. compromise, when the other side wins.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:27 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times
Not necessarily. Even if racism was never taught to me, it will be matter of time before I see what's going on in this world and form a judgement on certain groups of people.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:28 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyInDeerPark View Post
Affirmative action teaches and breeds racism. When the Federal Government mandates one race be given preferential treatment over another it's bound to create resentment and hate.
There is definitely some truth here. I cant tell you how many times Ive heard kids on campus complaining that the bulk of scholarships offered through the college are based on skin color. It put tensions where there otherwise would be very little.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
Racism is a human problem and people learn it, initially, by having bad experiences with other races.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:55 AM

723 posts, read 868,324 times
I don't buy that. It's pretty much ingrained in humans from birth to hate on anything different from their group. You can see it in schools from young kids that are pretty much oblivious to 'society' but still will band together and pick on a kid that looks or sounds or acts different. People will hate over sports teams, musical tastes, gender, neighbouring town/city rivalries, whatever, so racism being prevalent all over the world makes perfect sense to me. It'd be more surprising to me if it didn't exist. We've got smartphones, mathematics and the internet but we're still a fundamentally tribal species and we're not just gonna shake that off overnight.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Racism is natural. It is a part of human nature to have a hierarchy. Virtually any quality or random attribute of a human being and/or a group of human beings can be used to create a pecking order. Race is one among many attributes people have used to create a hierarchical order. It's very amusing, but the bleeding heart, liberal crowd that turned our lives to PC hell, creates its own silly hierarchy of "enlightenment" and "deserving", it just doesn't emphasize race (officially, at least).
I tend to agree. We try to categorize, label and herd people into groups all our lives. You have the "good" kids, jocks, nerds, bullies, pretty people, "smart" people segregated into AP classes, liberals, conservatives, etc. All of these groups tend to cluster with their own and they each have there advantages/disadvantages in life. For example, a physically beautiful girl will be treated like a queen by guys, bosses, teachers and basically have the world by a string - people will assume all sorts of good qualities about her and those like her. Race is really no different. When we see prisons packed full of blacks, blacks living in slums, no fathers, their goals and culture portrayed in the media, etc - the human brain is likely to some extent categorize blacks, too. Telling people to be blind to race (or the actions of certain races) is sort of like telling the world that an ugly girl should spend her entire life being treated the same as a "hot" girl. It's just not going to fully happen unless the ugly girl becomes pretty or the "bad" race starts acting right.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:09 AM

723 posts, read 868,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
What the media is trying to do is strip the more hardcore aspects from people's culture and have a more open, tolerant attitude for all cultures.. also known as a 'melting pot' ... this would cause people to 'get along' better.. I don't fault them for this... but government policies involving the war on drugs and the like.. and the upbringing of kids in the inner city... it's an uphill battle...
The media is absolutely not trying to make people get along better! They are the biggest ****-stirring force that exists!!! They blow everything out of proportion and manufacture offense/outrage. They know exactly how to wind people up and the sooner society wises up to their bull**** and stops making it profitable, the better.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:17 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,347,291 times
Quote:
It's really just 'culturalism' ... black people especially the males tend to be more violent due to the way they were brought up and the fact they are often in poverty... now why they are in poverty is open to debate.. whether it's white oppression, their cultural upbringing, or a little bit of both, but the fact of the matter is most people don't dislike other races because of their skin color, but rather because of their behaviors and customs. Raise a black child in a white suburban neighborhood that talks like a white and is well educated and people hardly notice... have a white kid grow up listening to rap music and blasting it around town and dressing with pants to his knees and people definitely notice...

Most whites and asians seem to get along just fine and you often see pockets of asians and whites living together.

You occasionally see blacks and mexicans living together as well.. when you look at the 'racial dot map' and browse around major cities... but the amount of segregation is actually quite striking to see... entire segments of major cities that are 'all mexican' or 'all black' .. also a look at south Texas on the racial dot map will show a side to America that many don't realize is there.

What the media is trying to do is strip the more hardcore aspects from people's culture and have a more open, tolerant attitude for all cultures.. also known as a 'melting pot' ... this would cause people to 'get along' better.. I don't fault them for this... but government policies involving the war on drugs and the like.. and the upbringing of kids in the inner city... it's an uphill battle...
You lost me at "talks like a white". Your whole post is filled with stereotypes.

Why do posters on CD think there's one universal culture for every race, specifically the Black race? Do you people realize that there are Black people living here who've migrated from Jamaica, Trinidad, The Virgin Islands, etc...

You raise any child in a suburban environment and instill the value of education amongst other things like the value of a human life, and common courtesy and you'll have a individual fit for society. Why should it matter if that suburb has a majority White population?

And please spare me the BS about Rap music, that argument has been beaten to death.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:32 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times
Quote:
It's really just 'culturalism' ... black people especially the males tend to be more violent due to the way they were brought up and the fact they are often in poverty... now why they are in poverty is open to debate.. whether it's white oppression, their cultural upbringing, or a little bit of both, but the fact of the matter is most people don't dislike other races because of their skin color, but rather because of their behaviors and customs. Raise a black child in a white suburban neighborhood that talks like a white and is well educated and people hardly notice... have a white kid grow up listening to rap music and blasting it around town and dressing with pants to his knees and people definitely notice...

Most whites and asians seem to get along just fine and you often see pockets of asians and whites living together.

You occasionally see blacks and mexicans living together as well.. when you look at the 'racial dot map' and browse around major cities... but the amount of segregation is actually quite striking to see... entire segments of major cities that are 'all mexican' or 'all black' .. also a look at south Texas on the racial dot map will show a side to America that many don't realize is there.

This right is something that many confuse with being racists against specific groups. Believe you me, if it were predominately Asians out stealing and committing all sorts of crimes, they would get just as much hate as other groups who tend to be associated with crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events