Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 06:49 AM

4 posts, read 6,774 times

Advertisements

I'm a woman and don't understand their need to make a spectacle of themselves. Yes, she needs to feed her child, but at that age it's supposed to be a private, bonding experience between mother and child, which you cannot have in a public setting.

Yes, I understand that you can't always pick and choose where to feed your child when it's feeding time, but at least have the decency to cover yourself. Not only is it a matter of doing your best to make it that private, bonding time, but it's also in consideration of others (like the male flight attendant) who might feel uncomfortable. Yes, it is a natural and beautiful thing, but it was meant to be a private thing between mother and child.

So, while I certainly don't agree with the wording or attitude of Precious Bodily Fluids, I do have to agree with the comment about it being this "all about me" behavior. This is a problem in society as a whole -- and not just with breastfeeding moms. People only care about themselves, some want to bring attention to themselves to somehow make themselves feel more important, and they have lost their consideration for others.

All that said, I wouldn't personally feel uncomfortable at the sight of a breastfeeding mom because I know it's something she must do, no matter where she is. It's just a matter of how she's doing it. Is she being respectful of that bonding time as well as of those around her? I see boobs every day (have two myself LOL), so the sight of boobs is nothing to me, but I'm certainly not going to go flashing them to the public for any reason. If you think I'm being prudish, any man I've ever dated will disagree with you. LOL It's simply a matter of being respectful and considerate of others -- something society seems to have lost its way on.

Of course, the flight attendant could have been MUCH more considerate of the mom. He didn't handle that well at all. Instead of further making a spectacle of her and the situation, he should have confronted her directly (rather than her husband), quietly, privately, respectfully, and with some level of understanding. Since it was too hot and stuffy to cover up, was there possibly an empty flight attendant's chair she could have used that was in a more private setting? If not, could one of the flight attendants have switched places with her? Could the captain go ahead and turn the AC on? Like the airline's rep said, they're supposed to make them feel as comfortable as possible.

Last edited by purpleiris28; 03-12-2015 at 07:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 07:10 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
I don't think women should be on planes with babies, unless it's an emergency or a valid reason. Nothing more annoying than an mother who does not know how to comfort and quiet down a child that is screaming/crying.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:12 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I don't think women should be on planes with babies, unless it's an emergency or a valid reason. Nothing more annoying than an mother who does not know how to comfort and quiet down a child that is screaming/crying.

What about fat people? It smelly? Chatty Kathy?

Old 03-12-2015, 07:39 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why couldn't she cover herself? Sense of entitlement.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:39 AM

672 posts, read 789,154 times
Quote:
I don't think.
yes, correct, you don't think, period.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:43 AM

387 posts, read 588,963 times
i saw a fat lady WALKING all around Chuck E. Cheese boobfeeding her kid. she was holding the baby with one hand and shameless walking around with a 'look at me' type of attitude. i think she wanted someone to harrass her so that she could find a way to sue the establishment.

disgusting people. sit down and feed your critters. i dont want to worry about particles falling onto my already-nasty cheese pizza.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:44 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,177 times
Quote:
So let's just all take the bus....I traveled with my son on a plane when he 3 days old because I HAD to...some of us don't have the luxury of not taking children anywhere till they are out of the crying phase..and just for the record..he slept the whole hour...

Old 03-12-2015, 07:50 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Why is this so difficult for some people to be discreet? Because they need to be the center of attention. This incident nothing to do with feeding the baby. It's attention-seeking.

Cover up out of respect for others around you. They have rights too.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
i saw a fat lady WALKING all around Chuck E. Cheese boobfeeding her kid. she was holding the baby with one hand and shameless walking around with a 'look at me' type of attitude. i think she wanted someone to harrass her so that she could find a way to sue the establishment.

disgusting people. sit down and feed your critters. i dont want to worry about particles falling onto my already-nasty cheese pizza.
Wait, you were at Chuck E Cheese, and you're worried about a "fat lady and her boob"? You do realize that kids, ball pits, and more kids pretty much equals a petri dish of every body fluid that a human produces? Bwahahahahahah Moderator cut: personal remarks

Last edited by Marka; 03-13-2015 at 02:16 AM..

Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Why is this so difficult for some people to be discreet? Because they need to be the center of attention. This incident nothing to do with feeding the baby. It's attention-seeking.

Cover up out of respect for others around you. They have rights too.
Why are women supposed to always be concerned about the feelings of others? Guys whip it out to take leaks at any given time, we don't have threads about "how I was walking out of a baseball game and there were 16 guys pissing on a wall"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events