Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 04:32 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I disagree. Many Americans were down on their luck when Roosevelt's New Deal came about. Many of them were depressed, drinking, leaving their families etc. I think the New Deal contributed to the emotional as well as financial health of many people and families. I think this is a good idea if done in the right way.
And FDR gave them jobs, not handouts. This is what Maine is attempting to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:01 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
GREAT news!!!! EVERYONE should do SOMETHING vs receiving "free money" between school ages (and attending) and 60 yrs of age. Even those with disabilities have SOME skills they can provide and feel good about!!!!

Old 04-11-2015, 08:20 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And FDR gave them jobs, not handouts. This is what Maine is attempting to do.
Yes he did and I support it.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:53 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
That's not exactly free.
Neither is welfare.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:07 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Big business doesn't create jobs. They create profits.
Actually, business (big and small) does create jobs, in that when business volume increases, so does the business's demand for labor. Jobs are simply the means to an end, that end being profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Those are often the result of cutting jobs or moving them overseas.
Profit is not the result of layoffs or outsourcing, profit is the result of the company doing business.

Layoffs, outsourcing, and offshoring wouldn't be necessary if government would stop inflating the cost of doing business, via taxation and regulation.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:55 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Not sure about you, but a poor man never gave me a job. The "eat the rich" mentality in this country only serves as a bitter excuse to fail. Companies such as Apple, GE, Ford, Toyota, Oracle, do create jobs. To say otherwise is just wrong.
The other side of the equation is that poor people get hired to do the actual work. Rich people can't get that way without the 99% doing their hard work for them. And as mentioned above, the 99% have to have a decent income to buy the companies' products or they go kaput.

As for the truly poor who need assistance ...... well there's only a part of each person's life when they are truly productive, not when they are young, old, or sick. Some people are more productive than others. That's the way it's been since the beginnings of the human race, a few mature individuals provided most of the food etc for the whole tribe, and were usually "paid" simply by gratitude and a higher status.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:33 AM

622 posts, read 527,002 times
There's also the question of what happens when somebody loses their job, but is close to retirement age. Generally speaking, employers aren't interested in unemployed people who only have ten years or so left before they retire.

I worked in the IT industry, but found myself out of work at 58 years old through no fault of my own. Fortunately, I live in a country which has a good welfare system and had no fear of finding myself unable to pay for my daily needs. But I found it impossible to find a job. Employers are only interested in taking on people younger than 27 years old and I was simply considered to be 'too old' in spite of my experience.

I tried getting a job on a lower level, but the excuse often used for turning down my application was that I was 'over qualified' for the position.

It's easy to criticize the unemployed when you have the cushion of a secure job to fall back on, but you can find yourself out on a limb once you pass a certain age in spite of the efforts you make to try and find work again.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:22 AM

560 posts, read 1,130,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A 3 month program for single adults got extended for 8 years.
Is that "hate" ?
The average American makes policy now?

Old 04-12-2015, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post
Whilst I can understand that there are a few scroungers around who simply don't want to work, what concerns me are these points taken from that link:

So assuming that the unemployed still can't get a job, are there really 12,000 volunteer positions just lying around open for them to fill?
Thank you. I like what the program is doing , to keep those people on welfare active in the community, but where are all these community service programs and jobs?

Old 04-12-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is SNAP for single, able bodied people.

Not families and not disabled and not aged.

Before 2008 single able bodied people could only get SNAP for 3 months.

The FedGov extended that 3 month period and it will be expiring next year.
So a 3 month program for single, able bodied adults turned into an 8 year program.

Maine decided not to renew this year. But Maine did say if they worked 20 hours, took training or volunteered for 24 hours a month they could keep their SNAP.

10,000 decided not to pursue it and dropped off the rolls.
But you don't know that There is no data for what they did, that's one of the points I demand to know the answer for. I bet a lot of the poor live near Canada, far from the offices where one has to sit for up to 8 hours, which I have done, to talk to someone. I hate that I had to do it, I hate that I had to go there several times, but I was desperate and I was struggling. Thankfully I'm in D.C., I do work full-time and I'm trying to go to school. I just want answers to where that 10,000 went instead of people making assumptions that they were lazy good-for-nothings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events