Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 03:36 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You may get it again and you could very easily do some simple things to help prevent it, but you won't. Too bad for you.
There is really nothing to do except keep my stress levels down and my immune system up. Somehow, I really don't see kids not getting chicken pox because they ate a bit of garlic. Chicken pox is a virus.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 07-06-2015 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 03:40 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
They can, but it's rare and as I said before, their shingles would not be nearly as severe as the shingles they would get had they had chicken pox.
No, it's not rare. Shingles is on the rise and has been for many years. The shingles vaccine essentially acts as a chickenpox booster which takes the place of the real children that adults would have been exposed to who had chicken pox pre vaccine and who would have given their immune systems a boost pre-exposure. the chicken pox vaccine created the need for a shingles vaccine. There's no evidence that a person's shingles case will be less severe due to the vaccine.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
There is really nothing to do except keep my stress levels down and my immune system up. Somehow, I really don't see kids not getting measles because they ate a bit of garlic. Measles is a virus.
My link was about shingles, not measles.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:48 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
My link was about shingles, not measles.
Fine. I changed it.

Quote:
No, it's not rare. Shingles is on the rise and has been for many years. The shingles vaccine essentially acts as a chickenpox booster which takes the place of the real children that adults would have been exposed to who had chicken pox pre vaccine and who would have given their immune systems a boost pre-exposure. the chicken pox vaccine created the need for a shingles vaccine. There's no evidence that a person's shingles case will be less severe due to the vaccine.
And that's because the people who had chicken pox, rather than the vaccine, are getting older. As the link I posted suggested.

Have YOU had shingles, Miss Terri? Because I have and I had a lot of in-depth talks with doctors about it, because really, I don't want to get it again.

Anyway, then don't vaccinate your kids against chicken pox. Hopefully, they'll still love you when your choice results in their pain. I, personally, wouldn't want anyone to go through what I went through. All you have to do is look up 'shingles' on this forum and you'll read how bad it was for people who had it. If that's what you want to wish on your kids, more power to you.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:34 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,939 times
Quote:
Fine. I changed it.

And that's because the people who had chicken pox, rather than the vaccine, are getting older. As the link I posted suggested.

Have YOU had shingles, Miss Terri? Because I have and I had a lot of in-depth talks with doctors about it, because really, I don't want to get it again.

Anyway, then don't vaccinate your kids against chicken pox. Hopefully, they'll still love you when your choice results in their pain. I, personally, wouldn't want anyone to go through what I went through. All you have to do is look up 'shingles' on this forum and you'll read how bad it was for people who had it. If that's what you want to wish on your kids, more power to you.
But the children of anti-vaxxers don't get sick, dontcha know?? They're made of iron, like their parents, so these pesky life threatening diseases that affect mere mortals and the sickest in society don't affect them.

Oh, and if they do get sick, all of a sudden they're not anti-vaxxers anymore .!

I find it interesting how many of the strongest advocates for childhood vaccines are folks who got sucked into the anti-vax vortex, and then when someone close to them got an entirely preventable illness they realized what a scam they'd bought into!

Old 07-06-2015, 04:38 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Excuse me but how many group daycare settings take in school aged children? It's much more expensive to have daycare for a 7 year old then it is for a three year old. Step into reality, will you? Normally when you get into an all or nothing mentality it's a sign that you are incorrect. You saying that all people who do not wish to vaccinate for everything on the schedule in CA came just homeschool. Your logic is faulty.
Not to mention the CA bill covers daycare facilities as well. You literally have to vaccinate your kids (with all listed on current and any FUTURE schedule) or keep them home somehow.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
No it's not. Do some research. Learn something new. The shingles rate was rising before the vaccine and it has continually risen for many years.

Quote:
I haven't but I have loved ones who have and it is something that everyone who has had chicken pox or the chicken pox vaccine are at risk of. I am at risk which is why I did some research on how to lessen the odds or lessen the severity. I tried to share that info with you but you scoffed at it. Your loss.

Quote:
Deciding to vaccinate or not vaccinate for chicken pox are both decisions that will put them at risk for a future case of shingles. Vaccinating for chicken pox still leaves them open to future shingles. You really need to do some research I think.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Deciding to vaccinate or not vaccinate for chicken pox are both decisions that will put them at risk for a future case of shingles. Vaccinating for chicken pox still leaves them open to future shingles. You really need to do some research I think.
We don't know that, Terri. The vaccine has been in use for only twenty years. We have several more decades at least of following these kids before we'll know for sure.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
Quote:
Fine. I changed it.

My SIL had shingles last winter at the age of 33. Is that old to you? He was 14 when the chicken pox vax came out.

So why wasn't he vaccinated for it then? He had already had chicken pox. Same with my daughter who was 11 when it came out. Most people by the time they were teens had already had the disease. Sorry, too late. They did not give these vaccines to kids who already had the diseases. It was the same when the measles vax came out. Any child who already had the measles was not given the vaccination.

Got the Zoster vaccine if you are in your 30s? They do not give it to people in their 30s who have had chicken pox. It is currently only recommended for people over 50.

My SIL walked around for a week before going to the doctor. He not know what it is. I was the person who told him it looked like shingles from what my husband's rash looked like. Why did he wait so long? Because it did not bother him and he put it off. No pain, not even itching. Did his doctor recommend a subsequent Shingles vax? Nope.

Heard a number of things from their doctors, which I will not repeat again. However, Miss Terri, is correct that the Shingles vax is basically a chicken pox vax or booster if you will.

May I ask how old you are? Since you were a child with chicken pox, have you ever been exposed again to chicken pox? I know my 33 year old SIL hasn't since childhood. He has never gotten a "boost" from coming into contact with someone with the disease.

Both my husband and I have from when our kids had it. However, my husband is not in the best of health. Combine that with the stress from his health problems, that is probably why he got shingles. Stress cannot make you sick too? My SIL was in a lot of stress also before he got shingles.

If you are under 50, let us know if you have gotten that shingles vax.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:26 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
I guess I'm not an "anti-vaxxer" then. Neither are at least a handful of people I know who don't vaccinate for everything on the schedule. I'll let them know that their income precludes them from the label. You can stop referring to me with that label from now on as well.

Oh and if the CA legislation makes it way to our state I will let them all know that they can just quit their jobs and homeschool. Income doesn't matter. I'm sure my single mom friends will be relieved to know. If they ask how it can be done on such a limited income I'll let them know that Suzy q from CD said everyone can do it. It's so easy.

There in lies the problem with always believing experts and studies over real people. Sometimes it makes you out of touch with reality and so very wrong.
Quote:
Excuse me but how many group daycare settings take in school aged children? It's much more expensive to have daycare for a 7 year old then it is for a three year old. Step into reality, will you? Normally when you get into an all or nothing mentality it's a sign that you are incorrect. You saying that all people who do not wish to vaccinate for everything on the schedule in CA came just homeschool. Your logic is faulty.
People who want to home school rather than vaccinate will find a way to do it if they feel so strongly about not vaccinating. It would be similar to taking a second job. Many people do that.

People do have to find after school care for elementary school children who are not old enough to be home alone. It does exist.

How Much Time Does Homeschooling Take? • Our Small Hours

"The truth is that how much time it takes to home school is different for every family. It’s likely different for every family each school year, maybe even each season. Because I know that others may find this post while doing the same search I did three years ago, the short answer you’re probably seeking is that it takes me about two hours per day, four days per week to home school two children. I spend several hours over many days lesson planning for a semester and about an hour per week getting ready for the coming week. That includes typing out a spreadsheet of the lesson plans and needed materials, printing/gathering materials and reading over/preparing to teach the material."

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It will be interesting to follow the current generation as they grow older to see if that will be the case. I certainly hope so, but we can't know that yet. The first generation of kids to receive the varicella vaccine are just entering their twenties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Someone who never catches chickenpox CANNOT get shingles. It's as simple as that. Kids growing up now who've had the vaccine and thus never catch chickenpox will probably need boosters as an adult to maintain their immunity, but I'd take a needle jab every decade or so over shingles any day.

Varicella-zoster virus is on the short list of infectious diseases we can actually drive into extinction if we work globally to achieve that goal. It won't be as easy to eradicate as smallpox, polio, or measles (since it can hide in the nervous system to re-erupt as potentially infectious shingles, so it won't be 100% gone until the last person natively infected has died), but it can be exterminated if we are determined enough. And wouldn't that be great?
The chicken pox vaccine is a live virus vaccine, and the vaccine virus can establish latency: set up residency in the nerve roots at the spinal cord. It can then reactivate and cause shingles. However, it is much less likely to do so than the wild virus. Although it is true that we will have to wait many years to see the effect in people over the age of 50, we do have evidence to support the lower risk from the vaccine. That primarily comes from studying a group of people who are susceptible to shingles at a much earlier age: children with leukemia.

Risk of herpes zoster in children with leukemia: varicella vaccine compared with history of chickenpox. - PubMed - NCBI

"During the period of observation, 15 of 73 children who had varicella [infection] acquired herpes zoster and none of the 34 children who had been vaccinated.

The incidence of zoster after immunization with live attenuated varicella vaccine. A study in children with leukemia. Varicella Vaccine Collaborati... - PubMed - NCBI

"CONCLUSIONS:
In children with leukemia who receive the live attenuated varicella vaccine, the subsequent incidence of zoster is lower than in children who have natural varicella infections."

Shingles is more likely to happen in vaccinated subjects who get a rash after the vaccine or who get breakthrough wild virus chicken pox infections. After breakthrough infections the virus causing shingles is usually the wild virus.

Incidence and Clinical Characteristics of Herpes Zoster Among Children in the Varicella Vaccine Era, 2005

Shingles due to vaccine virus is typically less severe than that due to wild virus.

This is a case report of an adult who got shingles from the vaccine strain virus after the shingles vaccine. The report was made because of the rarity of this happening.

Herpes Zoster Caused by Vaccine-Strain Varicella Zoster Virus in an Immunocompetent Recipient of Zoster Vaccine

"... there have been 634 zoster vaccine recipients who developed HZ [herpes zoster: shingles] and were tested for VZV [varicella zoster virus: chicken pox virus] and for VZV strain type, with just 1 case (0.16% [95% CI, .0%–.47%]) of vOka VZV [the virus strain used in the vaccine] detected. For the physician seeing a patient with HZ following a history of zoster vaccination, the likelihood that the HZ is due to vOka VZV is extremely low. The overwhelming majority of HZ cases occurring among vaccine recipients are due to the limited ability of zoster vaccine to prevent reactivation of wild-type virus, which is 50%–55%. In addition, our HZ case resolved within 10 days with no complications."

As Aredhel points out, those who never get chicken pox will never get shingles. That is entirely true. More specifically, those who never get the wild virus and who are unvaccinated will never get shingles. That is a classic situation of the vaccine refuser freeloading on the vaccinated population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My SIL had shingles last winter at the age of 33. Is that old to you? He was 14 when the chicken pox vax came out.

So why wasn't he vaccinated for it then? He had already had chicken pox. Same with my daughter who was 11 when it came out. Most people by the time they were teens had already had the disease. Sorry, too late. They did not give these vaccines to kids who already had the diseases. It was the same when the measles vax came out. Any child who already had the measles was not given the vaccination.

Got the Zoster vaccine if you are in your 30s? They do not give it to people in their 30s who have had chicken pox. It is currently only recommended for people over 50.

My SIL walked around for a week before going to the doctor. He not know what it is. I was the person who told him it looked like shingles from what my husband's rash looked like. Why did he wait so long? Because it did not bother him and he put it off. No pain, not even itching. Did his doctor recommend a subsequent Shingles vax? Nope.

Heard a number of things from their doctors, which I will not repeat again. However, Miss Terri, is correct that the Shingles vax is basically a chicken pox vax or booster if you will.

May I ask how old you are? Since you were a child with chicken pox, have you ever been exposed again to chicken pox? I know my 33 year old SIL hasn't since childhood. He has never gotten a "boost" from coming into contact with someone with the disease.

Both my husband and I have from when our kids had it. However, my husband is not in the best of health. Combine that with the stress from his health problems, that is probably why he got shingles. Stress cannot make you sick too? My SIL was in a lot of stress also before he got shingles.

If you are under 50, let us know if you have gotten that shingles vax.
His disease was atypical. Despite your effort to portray shingles as a little minor skin condition of no consequence, that is not the way it usually is. Even when people tell you they have had it and how painful it was, you come back over and over with stories about your family where it did not even hurt or itch. We get it. Your family is not like most humans.

The shingles vaccine is not FDA approved for under age 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events