Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 03:16 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times

Advertisements

It will be interesting to follow the current generation as they grow older to see if that will be the case. I certainly hope so, but we can't know that yet. The first generation of kids to receive the varicella vaccine are just entering their twenties.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:17 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times

Old 07-06-2015, 03:20 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
The point is, I may not have had them at all or their severity would have been reduced if I had had the vaccine instead of chicken pox.
Someone who never catches chickenpox CANNOT get shingles. It's as simple as that. Kids growing up now who've had the vaccine and thus never catch chickenpox will probably need boosters as an adult to maintain their immunity, but I'd take a needle jab every decade or so over shingles any day.

Varicella-zoster virus is on the short list of infectious diseases we can actually drive into extinction if we work globally to achieve that goal. It won't be as easy to eradicate as smallpox, polio, or measles (since it can hide in the nervous system to re-erupt as potentially infectious shingles, so it won't be 100% gone until the last person natively infected has died), but it can be exterminated if we are determined enough. And wouldn't that be great?

Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
They have to deal with child care whether the kids are vaccinated or not. Families with working parents - single or married - do home school.
Excuse me but how many group daycare settings take in school aged children? It's much more expensive to have daycare for a 7 year old then it is for a three year old. Step into reality, will you? Normally when you get into an all or nothing mentality it's a sign that you are incorrect. You saying that all people who do not wish to vaccinate for everything on the schedule in CA came just homeschool. Your logic is faulty.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Darling, I've already had shingles. And I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me. The point is, I may not have had them at all or their severity would have been reduced if I had had the vaccine instead of chicken pox.
You may get it again and you could very easily do some simple things to help prevent it, but you won't. Too bad for you.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Someone who never catches chickenpox CANNOT get shingles.
Um, yes, they can.

Can the Chickenpox Vaccine Cause Shingles Later in Life?

And of course there's this:

"Chicken pox can also be spread from people with shingles. The varicella-zoster virus also causes shingles. A person with
shingles can spread the virus to others who have never had chicken pox or received the chicken pox vaccine."

Nov 16, 2011

Old 07-06-2015, 03:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
We cannot say that for sure. We certainly hope that's the case, but, as I stated earlier, the varicella vaccine was introduced in 1995. The first wave of kids who were vaccinated haven't been alive long enough for us to track. This is not like smallpox or even polio. It's going to take several more decades before researchers can say with certainty that the campaign to eradicate chickenpox and shingles has been successful.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Someone who never catches chickenpox CANNOT get shingles. It's as simple as that. Kids growing up now who've had the vaccine and thus never catch chickenpox will probably need boosters as an adult to maintain their immunity, but I'd take a needle jab every decade or so over shingles any day.

Varicella-zoster virus is on the short list of infectious diseases we can actually drive into extinction if we work globally to achieve that goal. It won't be as easy to eradicate as smallpox, polio, or measles (since it can hide in the nervous system to re-erupt as potentially infectious shingles, so it won't be 100% gone until the last person natively infected has died), but it can be exterminated if we are determined enough. And wouldn't that be great?
People who get the chicken pox vaccine are also at risk for shingles. They absolutely can and do get shingles just like people who had actual chicken pox.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
People who get the chicken pox vaccine are also at risk for shingles. They absolutely can and do get shingles just like people who had actual chicken pox.
They can, but it's rare and as I said before, their shingles would not be nearly as severe as the shingles they would get had they had chicken pox.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:36 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
We cannot say that for sure. We certainly hope that's the case, but, as I stated earlier, the varicella vaccine was introduced in 1995. The first wave of kids who were vaccinated haven't been alive long enough for us to track. This is not like smallpox or even polio. It's going to take several more decades before researchers can say with certainty that the campaign to eradicate chickenpox and shingles has been successful.
Many, many decades, sure. None of us posting on this board will be alive to see that day. But if enough people are immunized for long enough, the disease transmission will be broken, and wild VZV will die out. And at that point, we can discontinue routine VZV immunizations for children (and just quarantine the few older people who come down with shingles during the period when they have infectious lesions). And eventually the virus will be gone. This isn't tetanus, which lives in the soil, or rabies or influenza, which can attack multiple species, or rhinovirus, which mutates so rapidly no one ever develops complete immunity to it. This virus is vulnerable in ways most other infectious diseases are not, and I see no reason why we shouldn't take advantage of that to exterminate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events