Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 11:58 AM
J24

448 posts, read 863,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That just sounds as if you didn't give a crap or the baby came as a surprise and you didn't have time to think of a better name.
So if you name your child John it means you don't give a crap about the baby? Hmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 12:00 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
In the 1960s, Anglo-American names were common among African American children. Pre-emancipation enslaved African Americans were mostly named by owners.

It wasn't until the 1970s and the rise of the Black Power movement, which was a response to 35 years of separate but equal and decades of police brutality and housing discrimination. that this shifted in the other direction. The underlying philosophy of the Black Power movement was to encourage Blacks to accentuate and affirm black culture and fight the claims of black inferiority. The adoption of “black” names is consistent with other cultural changes—like “natural hair"—prompted by the movement. African Americans wanted to distinguish themselves from whites, and develop a culture unique to them naming was an easy means to the end.

40 years later According to a University of Chicago study, résumés with black-sounding names are 50% less likely to get a call back. Black constituents with typically "black-names" are 80% less likely to have white legislator return an email or phone call when their name is revealed.

Chicago GSB | Capital Ideas

Today on twitter "#thingsIput on my resume was trending" and I posted "if your name could be considered ethnic or black I would suggest using your 1st and middle initials instead of your full-name."

I was met with a mirage of resistance which I understand but if it won't get you any further in the work field let only get your foot in the door for the interview what's the argument. I know it's institutionalized racism but it takes decades and policy after policy to reverse that, so what is Kiara or De'Quan supposed to do in the mean time?

On the other hand people were spewing this like "Yeah we can you imagine a CEO name La'Quanda or Merecedes?" and I thought ummmm yes and a President named Barack.

"White people giving their kids names like Saxby Chambliss and Tagg Romney is a clear sign of cultural pathology.” If names like “DeShawn” and “Shanice” are fair targets for ridicule, then the same should be true for “Saxby” and “Tagg.”" - said Jamelle Bouie.

What's your view... should African American's just conform and make it is easy or is pride and ethnocentrism ok and even if you have a "black name you shouldn't initial or avoid it?

I think that this is more of a class issue than a racial issue.

By the way, "Barak" is not a made up name. Nor is it "ghetto". Unless you think that "Olaf", "Patrick", "Maria" "Otto" "Kristen" or "Rocco" are "made up ghetto names".
They are names that reflect the ethnic background of the child.

I don't like overly trendy names or names that have made up spelling.
And I am personally not crazy about overly ethnic names. However, they are a valid choice.

Underclass people have always named their children pompous and pretentious names and whites are no exception to this rule. They also take the names of presidents to whom they are unrelated and expensive stores.

Older poor whites in my area - the mid west - many of whom have parents and grandparents who moved here at the turn of the last century for steel mill jobs - from West Virginia and Kentucky - have some very unusual names.

So far I have encountered - Johnette, Willadean, Normalene, Marquette and Danette among women over 60. Among men - Earl, Duke, and Baron. Also a slew of older white guys named after presidents or named nick names.

This is not new. And it is not a "black thing".

Old 05-01-2015, 12:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
Two of the best, most conscientious, smartest, and most talented people I have ever worked with had "typical" black names. I still act as a reference for both of them and am happy to do so.

I assume the same thing about people named "Sheniqua" or "LeDonicious" as I do about people named "Baylee" or "Dakota," i.e. that their parents probably aren't very educated or they grew up in a lower middle-class or lower household. That doesn't mean they're unemployable, though. I review resumes on a regular basis and a candidate's name is one of the last things I take note of. I read their job history/qualifications first and once I've decided whether to recommend them for an interview, I read the candidate's name. Sometimes I don't even know whether they're male or female. I don't care.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:01 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,688,437 times
Savannah is not a stripper name.

A stripper name to me is "Lexi" or "Amber"

Old 05-01-2015, 12:04 PM

241 posts, read 221,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
So if you name your child John it means you don't give a crap about the baby? Hmm.
Lol my bestfriend's name is John, and his sisters are Ashley and Sarah and he has a brother name Shawn. I think its a bit far to insinuate that the parent doesn''t care but I think names like that suggest less thought or creativity on the parents part or that its a family name. All of those are presumptions none fact-based.

Just like Blacks are criticized for certain name choices I find it funny when you walk into a predominately white class room and see 8 Ashleys.

Ashley 1
Ashleigh 2
Ashlee 3
Asheley 4 and so on.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:05 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
It's not cute, IMO it's a stripper name like Savannah.
"Mercedes" isn't generally after the car, it's a Hispanic Catholic name honoring the Virgin Mary as Mother of Mercies (Madre de las Mercedes.) Similar names would be Delores (Our Lady of Sorrows,) Pilar (Our Lady of the Pillar,) and Soledad (Our Lady of Solitude.)

Old 05-01-2015, 12:07 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Savannah is not a stripper name.

A stripper name to me is "Lexi" or "Amber"

Savannah is the name of a city in GA. I'd put it in the same category as "Dakota".

Lexi is short for Alexis is is not a stripper name.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:08 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,138,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
"Mercedes" isn't generally after the car, it's a Hispanic Catholic name honoring the Virgin Mary as Mother of Mercies (Nuestra Senora de Mercedes.) Similar names would be Delores (Our Lady of Sorrows,) Pilar (Our Lady of the Pillar,) and Soledad (Our Lady of Solitude.)
It's still a stripper name

Old 05-01-2015, 12:10 PM

241 posts, read 221,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
So far I have encountered - Johnette, Willadean, Normalene, Marquette and Danette among women over 60. Among men - Earl, Duke, and Baron. Also a slew of older white guys named after presidents or named nick names.

This is not new. And it is not a "black thing".
Not going to lie I kinda like Johnette. I met several Jeanetta's and Johnetta's.
I know its not a black thing that's why I think its hypocritical to call it ghetto.

naming your kid "Kennedy" or "Huntleigh" is just as odd as Beyonce.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
I knew a really really smart girl in high school named Quan'tranae Jenkins. Her life was hell because of it. I wonder what happened to her?
I'm not even sure how to even attempt to pronounce that name! And I absolutely HATE butchering people's names because mine is butchered almost daily. Why would you do that to a person? Seems so cruel. I'd probably ask people to call me Jen since my last was Jenkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events