Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:21 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times

Advertisements

I will ask again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
For those that say knock that woman's lights out - where's your diving line...

Do you punch out a 10 yr old that hits you with the force this woman displayed?

What about a 85 yr old granny?

What about someone in a wheelchair?

Do you guys ever hold back/move away/restrain or is everyone that lays a hand on you fair game for your best punch to the face?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:07 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I will ask again....
Lmao! Who's saying knock her lights out?

Old 07-10-2015, 04:10 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
How about saying no excuses for violence on ANYONE, eh? Oh, because women will actually be held accountable for their actions if they put their hands on men.
You forgot to add PERIOD! Lmao.

Police accountability = Anti-Cop.

Women being accountable for their own actions = misogynist, can't get laid, thug, bad upbringing.

Love the internet.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:13 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
You have spoken the most truth in this thread. I want to ask a question. While everyone wants to villify Johnson, what are ya'll gonna call this woman who was dumb enough to throw a punch at someone who could have killed her? If ya'll want men to keep their hands to themselves, damn it, hold women to the same rule. For me and where I grew up, if you hit someone, expect to get hit back bottom line. Not the advice I'd listen to. Again, my thing is to walk away but I'm not going to judge Johnson for taking action to defend himself.
Fine, she was stupid and probably criminal by 'punching' him. OK, women should not assume a guy won't hit them. Where you go wrong is with the idea that Johnson was 'defending' himself.

He wasn't trapped in a corner or threatened with a broken beer bottle. He was angry or annoyed or disrespected or wanted to teach her a lesson, something. That punch wasn't in self-defense.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:16 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell
For those that say knock that woman's lights out - where's your diving line...

Do you punch out a 10 yr old that hits you with the force this woman displayed?

What about a 85 yr old granny?

What about someone in a wheelchair?

Do you guys ever hold back/move away/restrain or is everyone that lays a hand on you fair game for your best punch to the face?
None of those things happened, Eddie.

Try to keep up.

If you're big enough to hurt me and big enough to defend yourself and you punch me, I'm coming right back at you. Git ready.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Miami used to be Thug U back in the day now its FSU. FSU- Felons State U

Old 07-10-2015, 04:35 PM

847 posts, read 766,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
This thread is still going but nobody has posted the latest information?

Woman in De'Andre Johnson incident will not be charged, 'it's clear' the QB initiated contact, says State Attorney | AL.com

So, as I expected, the young lady will be charged with nothing and will walk away from this episode with no repercussions.

The Florida State Attorney, a white man over 70 years old named Willie Meggs, stated it was "clear" he assaulted her first and she had the right to defend herself and will prosecute Johnson accordingly.

Hmmm, a black man punches a white woman after she punches and kicks him 1st and a white attorney old enough to have lived in the Jim Crow era has decided against the black guy. Wonder if Al Sharpton will soon be weighing in?

Anyway, I still feel the best conclusion to this incident would have been for both to be charged in court, both pay a small fine, both take some mandatory anger/impulse control sessions and let it be done with.

As for the many statements here that he should have been a "man" and just walked away after her punch how about if she had just been a "lady" and not punched him in the first place? She was within a few feet of 2 bartenders and she could have easily called out to them if she felt threatened. Believe me, in such cases, bar employees are always ready and eager to help the ladies.

Many folks, including here, seem to portray females as meek, weak and helpless who need to be pampered, coddled and given special protection. Isn't that attitude demeaning and insulting to women? Are they "just girls" who are akin to children?

Or should they be considered adults who should be in control of their actions and take responsibility for their behaviors. Oh yes, by the way, Johnson is 19, a teenager, while the female "victim" is 21, an adult in every legal sense. Should she have been the more mature one in this situation or is that expecting too much from "just a girl"?
The Prosecution is just being politically scared.

If this young man had punched back at another young man. either nothing would have happened.

maybe both would have been taken to the drunk tank.

or the guy who started it all would have been charged with something.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:00 AM

10 posts, read 24,981 times
I grew up in a family filled with domestic violence and I saw some of the behavior described in this thread.

My mother suffered a broken nose (twice), broken ribs (multiple times), a broken wrist, broken fingers, and more black eyes and busted lips than I can remember. I guess my mom "deserved" it, though. In spite of having the stuffing beat out of her on a regular basis, she was a feisty little woman and would say mean and spiteful things to my dad. She would question his manhood by telling him that it took a real man to hit a woman, that he was worse than a (insert a racial slur here) since he fathered his children and left us to fend for ourselves, that surely he felt like a big man now, since he could beat and subdue a lowly woman, etc., as he drunkenly hit her over and over.

According to many in this thread, she deserved those manly "gifts" from my dad. After all, she dissed his character, his manhood, and used a racial slur against him. And let's not forget that he was drunk. Surely, his judgement was impaired and he was not thinking clearly. Let's give him a pass, shall we?

If my mother dared to raise her voice, or defend herself, it was ten times worse. I remember her trying to ward off blows by raising her arm (and by golly, her hand was fisted!!!). She must have deserved the extra special treatment, too, since she so clearly threatened my 6'3" 200 lb. father.

I also remember a joyful time when my dad was drunk and wanted to punish my sister for some offense that my mom mistakenly told him about. I watched him whip my sister with a belt so hard that my mom got a cast iron frying pan out of the kitchen and threatened him with it.... what?! A WEAPON! Dear god, she really did deserve the resulting thrashing that she got. The b*tch should have gone to jail. It was clearly her fault for inciting the incident in the first place and she dared to raise a weapon in an act of violence against him!!!! Like my dad said, any b*tch who tangled with him deserved what she got (as he swaggered disgustingly out the door). What a big man and a true example for all mankind! Standing up to the tyranny of women and preserving his rights as a man! Woman are swooning all across America for a manly man with those principles! (NOT!)

Here are a few of the reasons my mom was punched:

1. disrespect (but who can respect a man like that?)

2. standing in the doorway to keep dad out of our rooms when he was drunk (she actually PUSHED him once... and I saw the resulting blood from her nose after he decked her)

3. threatening him with bodily harm if he hurt us (gosh, that could mean jail time, right?)

4. trying to reason with him (but not succeeding).

He wasn't just a sweetheart when he'd had a few; he was delightful at all times. He regularly threw his dinner at the wall if he didn't like it (and that was when he was sober). One of the worst beatings my mom ever got was asking him when he was going to be home for supper... this was at 7 am, before he went to work. Needless to say, my schoolwork suffered that day.

Was my mom blameless? Certainly not. She stayed 10 years with a drunken, abusive, womanizer before she finally got the courage to leave him and get a divorce. It took 5 years of therapy when I was an adult to finally forgive my parents for the trauma I went through. I'm proud to say that I have a passable relationship with my dad and I cared for my mom up until she passed away this past November.

But, as a result of the domestic fun and frolic at my childhood home, I don't advocate violence for either gender....... but I will go to my grave believing that it takes a bigger man to walk away.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:50 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Should we be asking why a 19yo was in a bar? Was he drinking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
He's only 19!
What the hell was he doing in a bar anyways
Valid question I share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
You do realize bars sell other things besides alcohol.
I've studied in several different college towns. In each one I've been in, bar and club patrons were carded at the door. People under the legal drinking age (21 in Florida) were not allowed entry. Not to say plenty of people don't use pretty sophisticated fake IDs, but that is illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Right!
So this stupid kid lost a 100k scholarship over a Dr. Pepper
Nice!
Also as a ex Bouncer, if this establishment is mixing the under 18 crowd with the over 21 crowd they will not be in business very much longer imo ...
That brings up another question I've had. Is there no liquor control body in the state of Florida that holds bar and club owners accountable for serving alcohol to minors? Or is it legal if they play football for a state school? In fact, since this thread was begun a SECOND FSU football player, this one an experienced player rather than a team rookie, has been charged with assaulting a woman. This incident happened outside a downtown bar after it closed at 2AM. In the article below, this incident has earned a misdemeanor batter charge against star running back Dalvin Cook. It will be interesting to see if he gets the same team punishment dished out to Johnson, who has yet to play a regular season game for FSU.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0ecec71bc3ad0

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The women was drunk & foul but the ex football player should not of hit her. Why was a 19 yr old in a bar ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Umm, you've been to college, right? What did you observe there from Thursday night to Sunday night? Mick
I've been to college and grad school. I also taught at a state university. I have seen more than my fair share of drunk college students. But most of them under the legal drinking age got that way at private parties. Any college town I've ever lived in went to great lengths to keep underage students out of bars for the licensing reasons I described above. As hitman619 (a former bouncer) also noted, establishments with a history of serving drinks to people under age don't stay open very long. Is there any state in which a license does not have to be issued before alcoholic beverages can be sold? What happens when a licensed establishment violates the rules of their license? They can claim ignorance and maybe even prove the patron showed them a false ID. But ignorance of the law is no defense in court. And what it the likelihood these bars don't recognize the members of FSU's football team and know how young some of them are?

In the Johnson case, I understand the woman bringing charges is 21, therefore she was in the bar legally. Johnson is only 19. So he had no business being in the club in the first place.

Personally, I think the only reason the DA is coming down hard on these players now is because he behaved so abominably in the Jameis Winston situation. He got very bad publicity for his decisions in that case. So now he's going to go all out to establish order with the students of this class. I find it hard to believe that Jimbo Fisher wasn't warned and he didn't pass that warning along to his players. So many college athletes behave with impunity even when they aren't drunk. Being under the influence just makes them worse.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:12 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Exactly what I'm trying to say. If she had a weapon in her hand, that'd be different. Or if she was clearly stronger than him. But she basically kitty-swiped him. No need to go FULL HULK SMASH over that.
She should learn 2 lessons. There are guys who'll hit her if she's physically aggressive and she should spend time in self-defense or fighting classes of some type. 'Kitty-swiped' is a good phrase for her 'punch.' Though, she took his punch pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events