Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 11:05 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
This is irrelevant. He did not initiate the confrontation. so how many drinks he has had is not pertinent here.

The notion that he should have had more self control is undisputed.
Yet it is intellectually dishonest to call him more at fault in This situation than She. She clearly tries to slide to deny him entry in to that spot on the bar. She is clearly verbally abusing him. She physically hits him twice. should he have snapped? ideally no. But this is hardly the case of an innocent girl getting punched.

Much of what you say is applies in most cases. and actually other boys are often the victim. But in this instance, what you have said is totally false.
the woman has been treated with special privilege. She Started a Fight. Clearly was verbally abusive.Clearly tried to land some good hits but failed. It is her lack of prosecution by law that indicates special privilege.
My first point has to do with personal responsibility. You're under the age of 21 and play for a major college football program. Engaging in risky behavior puts his college football career at risk. As quarterback, he is in a leadership position and should show better decision making abilities. He stands a chance of never playing for this university nor any other major university football team which also puts his possible NFL career at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 11:15 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Though I'm not in the never hit a woman camp, the 'punch' she threw would have made me laugh, shake my head, say 'you win,' and walk away. Really, he wasn't trapped in a corner with a fighter throwing powerful blows upon him.
Perhaps, but when a stranger takes upon themselves to throw racial epithets at you in the midst of an argument and then proceed to take the initiative to unsuspectingly punch you in the face--it's a little difficult to just "walk away" and laugh it off.

Thinking this over, I don't think he should have been charged, and I think he should sue the school to be reinstated on the team if he is indeed out.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:17 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Perhaps, but when a stranger takes upon themselves to throw racial epithets at you in the midst of an argument and then proceed to take the initiative to punch you in the face--it's a little difficult to just "walk away" and laugh it off.

Thinking this over, I don't think he should have been charged, and I think he should sue the school to be reinstated on the team if he is indeed out.
No audio in the video to show his claim to be true. It could be true or he could be making it up to help justify his actions.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:18 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
No audio in the video to show his claim to be true. It could be true or he could be making it up to help justify his actions.
Witnesse(s) attest to his claims.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:33 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
So if that was your mom, sister, grandma, auntie or friend, you'd be fine with it? I think not.
None of my close female friends or relatives are stupid enough to punch a stranger at a bar in the face.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
A biker chic tried to beat me up once and she was succeeding, lucky i got away, I wanted no part of that lady if you can call her that, not all women are weak this women was like 5'11 200 lbs she was fierce. Sometimes its best to get out of a bad situation without violence. I don't condone violence against women but in my case I probably should have tried better to defend myself. No more biker bars for me thou.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:22 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,346,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
None of my close female friends or relatives are stupid enough to punch a stranger at a bar in the face.
You shouldn't have even dignified his 'question' with a response. He used this fallacy instead of a logical argument.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-emotion

Old 07-09-2015, 12:25 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
A biker chic tried to beat me up once and she was succeeding, lucky i got away, I wanted no part of that lady if you can call her that, not all women are weak this women was like 5'11 200 lbs she was fierce. Sometimes its best to get out of a bad situation without violence. I don't condone violence against women but in my case I probably should have tried better to defend myself. No more biker bars for me thou.
I'm 5'11. I'm only 125 lbs, but I think height is more intimidating. I like being intimidating.

I don't start fights, but people know not to mess with me. I'm taller than most guys!

bwahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa....

Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Oh, now I see what you meant.

Let me be even more clear. If I witness a man attacking/manhandling a woman, I will intervene to thwart the attack. That does not mean I want to "defend her honor" necessarily. That would only be reserved for a virtuous woman I knew/cared about, and physical contact with her would not be needed for me to deal with the offender.
Rather it means that I was raised to defend women, not attack them. If words are exchanged it is none of my business, but if it gets physical, I get involved.

Now you might think I am just some 99lbs weakling who is a keyboard commando. I have heard about people who live vicariously on the internet, and seen comedy skits to that effect.
Rest assured I am not one of those people. I have experienced real life situations just like what I described. I have risked my employment trying to physically stop thieves, and have done so defending women getting roughed up by their boyfriends/husbands.
It has not happened often, but enough times to know exactly how I would react. I also defend handicapped and other defenseless people if some loser is bullying them. It's not like I am looking for trouble, but I was just brought up that way.
Example when I very young I worked in a grocery store and a man and woman were arguing with each other as they were walking out the door. The guy grabbed the woman and threw her into a wall. I immediately ran outside and put myself between the two of them. The guy stopped his aggression, and nothing significant happened after that. Had the guy continued to go after her or turn his aggression toward me, it might have been a much more interesting story.
The point is that I could have potentially lost my job if we started to scrap. However that was not my concern at the time.

I just wonder why more people do not get involved. For instance, if I am in a public place with mixed company, and guys are cursing up a storm, I politely ask them to consider that women & children are around. I cannot think of a single time they either ignored me or got aggressive. Typically they are just unaware, and hopefully appreciated the respectful way I ask them to conduct themselves under the circumstances.
I think many people are willing to do the right thing, it is just a matter of how they are approached. I treat them like I would want to be treated, and it works out well.
Well, fair enough.

If I'm leaving a bar at 2am and I see a man harassing a woman by herself, looking to either assault or rape her, of course I will quickly step in...that's why I did BJ-J.

But in this situation involving Johnson and the woman, or in a situation where it's a domestic dispute? More than likely, I'm not going to get involved and potentially get shot, jumped or arrested, especially if I do not know the entire situation or what those strangers are capable of.

I'm also not one of those people who takes out his phone and records. I'll just leave the area.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
I don't know if this was posted already, but...

(Petition to) Reinstate Deandre Johnson to Florida State's football team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events