Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 01:23 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,024,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The race card has been played, but it sounds almost like a desperate attempt to justify smashing a girl across the face. Personally I am very skeptical this girl used a racial epithet. I'd love to see his justification for bringing a lawsuit for being dismissed from the football team for punching a woman in the face, this would be a real laugher.

It doesn't justify it, it exacerbates the situation, he has witnesses who will back him. In a court of law that will hold some weight. either way, I hope he does sue, he has every right to defend himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 01:26 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,024,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
You know for a fact she used epithets? No, u don't
So, if she said "hey a**hole" and he punched her he would be wrong, but if she said "hey n***er" then a punch is justified? Really?

You watching the same video as I am? That was an extremely weak "punch in the face" by her....you are really reaching now

Try keeping up. I explained why it seems that hit her, and it wasn't simply because of the epithets. Apparently he retaliates with a punch after being punched first. The use of epithets simply proves that she aggravated the situation further--it'll pretty much underscore her belligerence. With the attempt to knee him, then the punch to the face--added with the epthets, she looks like the primary aggressor.

If you don't want to get clocked, keep your hands to yourself.

Try watching the video.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:37 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,974,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It doesn't justify it, it exacerbates the situation, he has witnesses who will back him. In a court of law that will hold some weight. either way, I hope he does sue, he has every right to defend himself.
I don't think FSU is obligated to keep him on the team regardless of what legal charges he faces or doesn't face. FSU has decided that if one of their football players strikes a woman they will be dismissed from the team. It's about the same as an employer firing someone that calls someone else the n-word on Facebook. From a public opinion standpoint, I'd say most of America would deem his actions morally reprehensible. The football player himself has somewhat admitted his actions were wrong - hence the apology.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:30 AM

847 posts, read 768,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I seriously cannot fathom how anyone can pretend to justify a drunken girl, seated, who throws an air punch that hits no one, is then hit full force right in the face, and that this can be dismissed as "well, she threw the first punch"….

My sister lives in Baltimore, and was just astounded at how many women spoke out in support of Ray Rice after his suspension. This is a guy who first spit in his wife's face, twice, and then after the second time she had enough and was knocked unconscious for protesting.

It's Neanderthal enough for men to support Deandre Johnson, but when I see women supporting him, I can only surmise they are themselves in abusive relationships.
equal rights means equal responsibility.

Young Women need to know that Moral Agents that enjoy a Set of Rights also have set of responsibilities.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:04 AM

11 posts, read 9,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Video shows FSU QB De'Andre Johnson punching woman - CNN.com

If you're a FSU fan, you've got to be thinking "here we go again" - another black QB attacking (or being accused) a white girl.
I don't watch sports, but all I ever hear is how black athletes rape and beat on women. It's revolting and I have made a point of avoiding such cretins and their milieu my entire life and will die avoiding them.

Personally this video makes me angry. I don't care what this d$@!bag's color is, but he pushed into her or possibly groped her- and she was only standing up for herself! God knows no one else will. Too bad his violent personality comes out to start attacking her..let's just hope that he didn't do anything worse to her, as you can see he is really obsessed with her where she clearly wants to be left alone.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post

Somehow it has become bastardized that now women can act any way the want and strike out with no consequence or expectation of being hit back by a man who is defending himself.....apparently a man is just supposed to sit there like a whipped dog and not respond or react to someone beating on it.......equality huh??

Men have ALWAYS made consequences for women who stand up or speak out- read up on history, and then look at the video again- for all your ignorant ass knows he may have groped her from behind...he was disrespectful to her, PERIOD. that set her off, but HE started it. Or is that too much for your embittered, tightass-rigid MRA brain?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
he has every right to defend himself.
Defend himself from what? A small girl who is yelling at him to get him to leave her alone? When will you MRAs ever admit that a woman has a right to defend herself...how far does a man have to go hurting a women before you finally get your balls together and stop crying about men being abused by no one, you cowardly abused-by-mommy misogynists?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:14 AM

7,580 posts, read 5,346,349 times
I side with the judge on this case, so that's pretty much what I think in general. You don't want to get hit, then don't hit.

All Charges Dropped Against Jorge Pena, Man Filmed Slapping Woman In NYC Subway Fight

Old 07-10-2015, 10:19 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,569,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
equal rights means equal responsibility.

Young Women need to know that Moral Agents that enjoy a Set of Rights also have set of responsibilities.
There is nothing equal about the punches thrown in the video. One was an air punch that any real man could laughingly absorb, while the other had enough force behind it to fracture someones nose or eye socket.

I see a lot of men on this thread who seem to think that it is okay to smash some girl in the face, and it is an ugly reminder of why domestic assault is so high in this country.

Thanks elevator video and TMZ for shining a spotlight on this in sports. I'm old enough to remember the NFL in the 80's, and reading constantly about NFL'ers being arrested for beating their wives and girlfriends into hospital stays. I still remember the one team that stood out above all the rest: The Minnesota Vikings.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:24 AM

17,663 posts, read 17,810,927 times
Anyone ever been in a nightclub? Unless you're standing right next to a person you cannot hear what is being said over the loud music. So how could these "witnesses" hear what she said to him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events