Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:30 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,358,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte4Lady View Post
I grew up in a family filled with domestic violence and I saw some of the behavior described in this thread.

My mother suffered a broken nose (twice), broken ribs (multiple times), a broken wrist, broken fingers, and more black eyes and busted lips than I can remember. I guess my mom "deserved" it, though. In spite of having the stuffing beat out of her on a regular basis, she was a feisty little woman and would say mean and spiteful things to my dad. She would question his manhood by telling him that it took a real man to hit a woman, that he was worse than a (insert a racial slur here) since he fathered his children and left us to fend for ourselves, that surely he felt like a big man now, since he could beat and subdue a lowly woman, etc., as he drunkenly hit her over and over.

According to many in this thread, she deserved those manly "gifts" from my dad. After all, she dissed his character, his manhood, and used a racial slur against him. And let's not forget that he was drunk. Surely, his judgement was impaired and he was not thinking clearly. Let's give him a pass, shall we?

If my mother dared to raise her voice, or defend herself, it was ten times worse. I remember her trying to ward off blows by raising her arm (and by golly, her hand was fisted!!!). She must have deserved the extra special treatment, too, since she so clearly threatened my 6'3" 200 lb. father.

I also remember a joyful time when my dad was drunk and wanted to punish my sister for some offense that my mom mistakenly told him about. I watched him whip my sister with a belt so hard that my mom got a cast iron frying pan out of the kitchen and threatened him with it.... what?! A WEAPON! Dear god, she really did deserve the resulting thrashing that she got. The b*tch should have gone to jail. It was clearly her fault for inciting the incident in the first place and she dared to raise a weapon in an act of violence against him!!!! Like my dad said, any b*tch who tangled with him deserved what she got (as he swaggered disgustingly out the door). What a big man and a true example for all mankind! Standing up to the tyranny of women and preserving his rights as a man! Woman are swooning all across America for a manly man with those principles! (NOT!)

Here are a few of the reasons my mom was punched:

1. disrespect (but who can respect a man like that?)

2. standing in the doorway to keep dad out of our rooms when he was drunk (she actually PUSHED him once... and I saw the resulting blood from her nose after he decked her)

3. threatening him with bodily harm if he hurt us (gosh, that could mean jail time, right?)

4. trying to reason with him (but not succeeding).

He wasn't just a sweetheart when he'd had a few; he was delightful at all times. He regularly threw his dinner at the wall if he didn't like it (and that was when he was sober). One of the worst beatings my mom ever got was asking him when he was going to be home for supper... this was at 7 am, before he went to work. Needless to say, my schoolwork suffered that day.

Was my mom blameless? Certainly not. She stayed 10 years with a drunken, abusive, womanizer before she finally got the courage to leave him and get a divorce. It took 5 years of therapy when I was an adult to finally forgive my parents for the trauma I went through. I'm proud to say that I have a passable relationship with my dad and I cared for my mom up until she passed away this past November.

But, as a result of the domestic fun and frolic at my childhood home, I don't advocate violence for either gender....... but I will go to my grave believing that it takes a bigger man to walk away.
Here we go again...

//www.city-data.com/forum/40359843-post348.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/40360509-post349.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/40331450-post216.html

Just like I've asked Eddie, please show me some posts where someone justified domestic violence against women. Self defense is NOT domestic violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 10:08 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,529,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Here we go again...

//www.city-data.com/forum/40359843-post348.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/40360509-post349.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/40331450-post216.html

Just like I've asked Eddie, please show me some posts where someone justified domestic violence against women. Self defense is NOT domestic violence.

Please, what he did was 'self-defense' only to guys who're glad he taught her a lesson: she better not assume a man won't hit her back. The word for him punching her is 'retaliation.'

Old 07-11-2015, 10:22 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,575,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

Please, what he did was 'self-defense' only to guys who're glad he taught her a lesson: she better not assume a man won't hit her back. The word for him punching her is 'retaliation.'
^^^^^This^^^^^

This guy was not if fear of this girl. He was, and is a coward. I am not shocked that some posters on here consider it self defense. The jails are full of men arrested for domestic violence.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:04 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,983,537 times
Quote:
Lmao! Who's saying knock her lights out?
Apparently this football player - did you compare the force of their blows? I wonder if he had as much as a scratch?

Old 07-11-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
None of those things happened, Eddie.

Try to keep up.

If you're big enough to hurt me and big enough to defend yourself and you punch me, I'm coming right back at you. Git ready.
Reading comprehension. No one said those things happened. It was a question to see WHERE the line between hit back or back up/restrain is.

I would argue that if this woman's blow was enough to hurt you - you are a pretty soft man.

Good luck with your defense when you knock out a 85 yr old granny that takes a swipe at you. Just know that a lot of men won't let you play tough guy against those that don't have a chance (women, children, elderly, handicapped, etc).

Old 07-11-2015, 12:34 PM

847 posts, read 768,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte4Lady View Post
I grew up in a family filled with domestic violence and I saw some of the behavior described in this thread.

My mother suffered a broken nose (twice), broken ribs (multiple times), a broken wrist, broken fingers, and more black eyes and busted lips than I can remember. I guess my mom "deserved" it, though. In spite of having the stuffing beat out of her on a regular basis, she was a feisty little woman and would say mean and spiteful things to my dad. She would question his manhood by telling him that it took a real man to hit a woman, that he was worse than a (insert a racial slur here) since he fathered his children and left us to fend for ourselves, that surely he felt like a big man now, since he could beat and subdue a lowly woman, etc., as he drunkenly hit her over and over.

According to many in this thread, she deserved those manly "gifts" from my dad. After all, she dissed his character, his manhood, and used a racial slur against him. And let's not forget that he was drunk. Surely, his judgement was impaired and he was not thinking clearly. Let's give him a pass, shall we?

If my mother dared to raise her voice, or defend herself, it was ten times worse. I remember her trying to ward off blows by raising her arm (and by golly, her hand was fisted!!!). She must have deserved the extra special treatment, too, since she so clearly threatened my 6'3" 200 lb. father.

I also remember a joyful time when my dad was drunk and wanted to punish my sister for some offense that my mom mistakenly told him about. I watched him whip my sister with a belt so hard that my mom got a cast iron frying pan out of the kitchen and threatened him with it.... what?! A WEAPON! Dear god, she really did deserve the resulting thrashing that she got. The b*tch should have gone to jail. It was clearly her fault for inciting the incident in the first place and she dared to raise a weapon in an act of violence against him!!!! Like my dad said, any b*tch who tangled with him deserved what she got (as he swaggered disgustingly out the door). What a big man and a true example for all mankind! Standing up to the tyranny of women and preserving his rights as a man! Woman are swooning all across America for a manly man with those principles! (NOT!)

Here are a few of the reasons my mom was punched:

1. disrespect (but who can respect a man like that?)

2. standing in the doorway to keep dad out of our rooms when he was drunk (she actually PUSHED him once... and I saw the resulting blood from her nose after he decked her)

3. threatening him with bodily harm if he hurt us (gosh, that could mean jail time, right?)

4. trying to reason with him (but not succeeding).

He wasn't just a sweetheart when he'd had a few; he was delightful at all times. He regularly threw his dinner at the wall if he didn't like it (and that was when he was sober). One of the worst beatings my mom ever got was asking him when he was going to be home for supper... this was at 7 am, before he went to work. Needless to say, my schoolwork suffered that day.

Was my mom blameless? Certainly not. She stayed 10 years with a drunken, abusive, womanizer before she finally got the courage to leave him and get a divorce. It took 5 years of therapy when I was an adult to finally forgive my parents for the trauma I went through. I'm proud to say that I have a passable relationship with my dad and I cared for my mom up until she passed away this past November.

But, as a result of the domestic fun and frolic at my childhood home, I don't advocate violence for either gender....... but I will go to my grave believing that it takes a bigger man to walk away.
May Your Mom's soul rest in peace!

But your entire post has nothing to do with this incident!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post

It's very laughable, context means everything. Some posters here keep mentioning they keep seeing others state that men in this forum support abusing women and when I ask for them to provide examples... Silence.

The man in the video was defending himself. Regardless of what she said, she crossed the line when she swung at him twice and attempted to knee him. You can downplay this all you want, but it won't change anything. She assaulted him.

Like I said before, it seems like some folks in here are arguing just for the sake of it. The amount of strawman's and ad hominems proves me right.

Not accusing you of my last statement btw...

Old 07-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsami View Post
May Your Mom's soul rest in peace!

But your entire post has nothing to do with this incident!
Exactly. It's a slippery slope and strawman argument,

Old 07-11-2015, 01:30 PM

922 posts, read 1,153,316 times
Gotta applaud FSU for kicking him off the team. But then again had that been Winston, they probably would've suspended him for a half against Texas State.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
It's very laughable, context means everything. Some posters here keep mentioning they keep seeing others state that men in this forum support abusing women and when I ask for them to provide examples... Silence.

The man in the video was defending himself. Regardless of what she said, she crossed the line when she swung at him twice and attempted to knee him. You can downplay this all you want, but it won't change anything. She assaulted him.

Like I said before, it seems like some folks in here are arguing just for the sake of it. The amount of strawman's and ad hominems proves me right.

Not accusing you of my last statement btw...
It's unclear who started what. He had his hands on her. He could've walked away. Her part of the assult probably didn't put a scratch on him. If this woman would've actually been a danger to his safety, I'm sure many people wouldn't have a problem with him defending himself (including FSU). Public opinion has determined that men simply don't punch women unless it's absolutely unavoidable...for example, you're backed against a wall with a woman pulling out a knife. Thus, if a man wants to be a public figure, he will need to show restraint and maturity when he mingles with females.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events