Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2015, 07:36 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I find it very funny that the media and posters on here as well have been pretty quiet with the latest updates on the case. Much new info has emerged such as the doctored pics that the media showed us.

The Curious Case of Oregon Shooter Chris Harper-Mercer – A Social Media Profile Shaped, Modified and Deleted… | The Last Refuge

Now I know that there will be flack that it is The Conservative Treehouse but just google Christopher Sean Mercer and you'll find more than 1 picture of this young man. I'm just curious as to why the media has been reluctant to address some of what has come out about this guy.
Within minutes of Harper-Mercer being ID'd by news reports I found this FaceBook page. The name listed on it at that time was Chris Harper-Mercer rather than the Chris now listed. The posts to the other sites now shown under the present name (before the gunman's death) were all made under the name Chris Harper-Mercer. There was an entry on his main page by him from Aug. 8 (the oldest post shown) that showed a picture of a dark, car light-illuminated lonely highway seen through a windshield with the words "cruising the highways in search of prostitutes to help them meet their lord and maker". Within a very short time the website had been altered and that entry had been edited, but all his posts to other sites under the name Harper-Mercer have been preserved in screen grabs by other people, and I saw them all in real time. I don't understand what is going on with this, I lack the informational technology expertise. There have been entries since Harper-Mercer's death, aside from the aforementioned alterations.

https://www.facebook.com/unicornwhisperR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 08:13 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
In the case of Adam Lanza his mother knew the kid had severe mental issues and yet stockpiled a lot of weapons in the house. In the case of Harper-Mercer, mom also seemed to have an obsession with a large gun collection.

If you know your kid is mentally unstable, why would you continue to make guns readily available to them? It's like keeping a supply of alcohol in the house of an alcoholic and storing it next to the car keys.
Very good point. I hadn't thought of that. The mothers enabled and encouraged the incidents. I'm about to rep this post.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:22 AM

190 posts, read 180,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I can sympathize with you as I have 2 sons in their 30's who are still single and have a hard time meeting people. They are intelligent and I think good looking and have excellent morals and ethics but I think it's hard to meet others these days if you don't want to go the route of a dating site. Neither are into the bar scene and most of their friends are married.

They have both had relationships in the past and none of the girls were the "cheerleader type" except one who swore like a drunken sailor but things just didn't work out. There were more personal problems on the girl's side that made commitments hard.

My cousin's daughter, married and divorced with an 8 yr old child, also has not had any luck on the dating scene. She's 35 and shy.

When you're younger, you're in more situations - school, bars ect that are more relaxed and offer the time to meet people. These days - everyone has their own schedules set in stone - so even if you join say a health club - I think your chances of meeting someone are reduced as people come there with a set goal - work out, shower - off to work.

My one son relocated 2 yrs ago - so it's been even harder when he's working 7 day weeks sometimes 7-6 to meet anyone. He's friends with a few married guys but it broke my heart when he went to the movies by himself on his birthday.

Those of us who got married in their 20's, really never experienced how tough it could be to meet people once we got older.
My generation got hit very hard and I think even the young kids are disconnected too.. debating on whether or not to call eachother he or she, him and her, male and female. I cant believe what I been hearing lately. I think that if people have good ethics, are good looking, taller than average that they will have trouble because most are painfully average and have fell victim to media influence and everything that corrupts peoples minds. I feel like if I was thrown in another time possibly an ancient time, I'd probably be a ruler or a king. I am independent natured, I was tough to control growing up.. teachers had a hard time with me. I mellowed with age but I didn't exactly become a success. I just have enough savings for me to get by right now without work and that's considered doing fine for me. I was able to save and return to Florida and just been trying my best to get by.

I talk to one girl but she lives almost an hr from me but I live in a metro area with many singles ok, and have not had any luck at all.. You'd think the more people and the more singles the easier the odds right? Well not here. Everyone seems to have 2-3 kids, work a lot, welfare cases or has ex boyfriends stalking them. I never seen so many issues. And the ones I feel are a fit and have less baggage still don't write me back much. So ya I have that one girl maybe in the event I move to that area again but surprisingly ya, in the Tampa area its hard to secure 2 things, a good relationship and rentals that are nice for reasonable money. The job market isn't too bad but those 2 other things are.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Who cares? All these selfish losers leave traces. It is all hindsight and means nothing at this point. We aren't going to learn anything from them other than how selfish they are. That is the one common ground they all have. Throw them and their selfish memory in the toilet and move on.

I just feel bad for the victim's families.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,045 times
The bodies weren't cold and the polticial hacks were out in full force with gun control mantras. Right until it was discovered the shooter asked about religion.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 12,219 times
In the gun-free zone, what policies & procedures did the college have in place to keep the students & employees safe?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:10 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
The bodies weren't cold and the polticial hacks were out in full force with gun control mantras. Right until it was discovered the shooter asked about religion.
Ummmm …

I don't see that "religion" has anything at all to do with the obvious need to keep guns and ammo OUT of the hands of guys like that crazy shooter ...

Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyLake View Post
In the gun-free zone, what policies & procedures did the college have in place to keep the students & employees safe?
It was NOT a gun free zone: Umpqua Community College not a gun-free zone: Oregon laws prevent that | OregonLive.com

Old 10-05-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Ummmm …

I don't see that "religion" has anything at all to do with the obvious need to keep guns and ammo OUT of the hands of guys like that crazy shooter ...
Then I ask, had he shot all blacks since he professed a dislike for them, would that have has just as little to do with the shooting?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:16 AM

Why are there no mentally ill control laws being proposed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events