Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:31 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a wuss on a bike with a gun to me. Great combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I'm one of those troops who served their country (how about you?) who also happens to be tired of people who use their service as an excuse for everything they do wrong such as letting their dog run wild threatening people.

Anyway, dogs aren't heroes no matter how many badges you pin on them. They are simple creatures who aren't capable of thinking about things, they aren't even self-aware. "I think, therefore I am" does not apply to dogs. Everything they do is determined by their instinct and/or training.
And no less a hero than folks like you.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:41 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
No dogs are animals and living things and not property. Dogs walk because they are living things, sometimes they walk fast and sometimes they stop frequently and walk slow. This is not an American thing, its the case everywhere.
Your mindset is totally sad and wrong, dogs are living things that have feelings and what not. Sometimes they like being touched other times they want to be left alone.

You are so so wrong. Tell me where are dogs all acting like property and all walk behind their owners?
Please just stop.
Dogs are property and are legally treated as such. If your property is damaging another persons property generally lethal force is not allowed, if your property is causing reasonable fear of harm in a human lethal force can be used against it.

If your property is worrying livestock while trespassing on someone elses property lethal force can be used against it.

Moral of the story, control your property, especially if you value it.

Failure to treat dogs as property is the major malfunction in American dog owners. Dogs must be dominated. Look at the average american walking a dog... not so much.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:43 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wasn't aware that all the facts in the case had come out. Who did the guy leave him with?

Actually just looked it up so I'll answer....he had a friend staying at the home watching him (it is possible the dog's PTSD precluded taking him hunting, but I don't know). It was a farm, not a regular home with a yard, so maybe more places to get out?

Again though, why blame him? Don't most people let other people watch their dogs? He didn't need any more "qualified" person to watch him than any other dog. Dog got out, tragic, but I again see no need to add to his tragedy by searching for a reason to blame him.

He still believes the dog was not being aggressive, and again both stories say the dog was shot from behind.
The only people I let watch my dogs are people who have extensive experience working with all kinds of challenging dogs. Seriously, the friends who watch my dogs for me all have at least 10 years of dog handling experience with smart, high-energy dogs and rescue dogs. Even the very young friend who sometimes comes over to let them out if I'm gone during the day has been competing at the national level in dog sports. I don't just have any of my buddies who are free come over to watch them.

Here's the thing - anyone who knew anything about Belgian Malinois would never have given this dog an opportunity to escape. They are an intense, owner-centered and driven breed. If you layer anxiety and PTSD over that breed profile, you are dealing with a very complex problem. That requires a very experienced handler. If a friend asked me to watch their Malinois, I would politely decline because I know how complex they are. People say border collies are difficult dogs to work with, but a Belgian Malinois is even more so. They are brilliant animals, but they require a highly responsible and experienced owner.

I feel terrible for this dog's owner, but I really do believe he didn't have the proper amount of perspective regarding his dog and its problems. I think he saw the dog as a comrade in arms first, and as a dog second. I think he misjudged his own place in the dog's universe and how much his presence affected the dog's personal sense of safety and territory.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sure, all those very dumb animals who gobble their own ****, also known as dogs......they can NEVER do wrong in the eyes of dog worshippers.

Yes, I have been attacked by retard-animals while minding my own business........the brilliant dog owners usually try to place the blame on me.
You have an unhealthy hatred of dogs, I would not want to see you wih a gun near a dog. Plus I have never seen dogs eat heir own feces, but that is beside the point. Dogs are dumb, yes that's why law enforcement and others use them for detection and other purposes.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Dogs are property and are legally treated as such. If your property is damaging another persons property generally lethal force is not allowed, if your property is causing reasonable fear of harm in a human lethal force can be used against it.

If your property is worrying livestock while trespassing on someone elses property lethal force can be used against it.

Moral of the story, control your property, especially if you value it.

Failure to treat dogs as property is the major malfunction in American dog owners. Dogs must be dominated. Look at the average american walking a dog... not so much.
What country does it better than America, give some examples .

Old 10-19-2015, 11:56 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Quote:
I did not bring up comparison to any other country. My point with regards to American dog owners is that they are raised and trained inadequately. Dog training stats back this up. Going for an afternoon stroll and observing 98% of dogs that are being walked behavior is easy enough to detect. The dogs are walking the owners, not the other way around.

Having large and potentially dangerous property that is under trained is a pretty terrible combo.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:48 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
I did not bring up comparison to any other country. My point with regards to American dog owners is that they are raised and trained inadequately. Dog training stats back this up. Going for an afternoon stroll and observing 98% of dogs that are being walked behavior is easy enough to detect. The dogs are walking the owners, not the other way around.

Having large and potentially dangerous property that is under trained is a pretty terrible combo.
Except that isn't what we are talking about here.
We are talking about a dog that WAS trained and at great expense to the American taxpayers, I might add.

The latest:

Veteran wants military burial for combat dog shot, killed by... | www.wsbtv.com

An interesting detail from the WP link:

According to the shooter: "When he shot the animal, it was about 5-10 feet away, the man said."
And, we already knew that he shot the dog in the rear.

So, no imminent danger then.

This story reeks.

A combat dog who earned Bronze Stars in Iraq was killed in Wyoming. His owner wants to know why. - The Washington Post

Old 10-19-2015, 04:01 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
Quote:
Germany.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:19 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,414,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Sounds like a wuss on a bike with a gun to me. Great combo.
Sounds like a wuss with a dog that he can't be bothered to keep under control. Great combo.

Or maybe this is an argument for restrictions on guns, so people won't be able to shoot dogs that they think are attacking them. Shall we go there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events