Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:16 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times

Advertisements

Parents are juggling too much as they try to keep up with the Jones. Kids expect to have it all as the parents try to keep them happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 05:25 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
I blame whoever came invented 'travel teams' and elite 'club' sports teams that compete six states away.

I could strangle that person.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:18 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I blame whoever came invented 'travel teams' and elite 'club' sports teams that compete six states away.

I could strangle that person.
There was a guy on one of the city forums I read lately where an elite youth soccer club was a requirement. Ridiculous.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Another reason a stay at home parent is so worth it (besides the obvious - kids should actually be raised by their parents).

Way decreases the rush and stress to divide the responsibilities.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Another reason a stay at home parent is so worth it (....snip...).

Way decreases the rush and stress to divide the responsibilities.
It can. It can also add more stress if the one income is tenuous and/or the family is just eking by every month or not able to save adequately for college or retirement, or not able to afford decent health coverage. Every family must make the decision that works best for their family. One size does not fit all.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Yes, families live in a state of stress - it's called being alive.

I'm sorry, but I'm tired of this woe-be-gone "Life is so terrible now!" line of thinking, which implicitly suggests that days gone by were days of wonder and delight.

What's the poverty rate today? It's lower than it was fifty years ago, and a lot lower than it was eighty years ago, before Social Security. How's that stress over polio and all those other diseases that used to give us a much higher childhood mortality rate? All those dead kids, and just the knowledge that your kids were more likely to die then than now, might've been a bit of a source of stress, no? How about that six-day twelve-hours-per-day workweek? A general life expectancy decades shorter than now? How stress-free was life in the Gilded Age, or for non-whites in the good old South, or for women when marital rape was legal in every state through 1975 and when credit could only be had with a husband's permission? How stressed were parents when their kids were driving on roads that were far more dangerous in the past? Or going off into a world of a violent crime rate that was significantly higher twenty, thirty, forty years ago than today? By almost every actual verifiable metric, there's less to be stressed about today than there was in the 'good old days'.

I am married with three children. I'll take the stress of 2015 over that of thirty or sixty or ninety years ago, thanks.
Agree. I will add I think if most of these people did what they needed to do, instead of constantly checking their phones nonstop, they wouldn't be so overwhelmed.

I have now seen several people in Target for example who stand their texting with their empty shopping cart, instead of shopping.

It has happened a few times where I have arrived around the same time as these people, I get my shopping done are in line to pay, meanwhile they're still texting and have an empty cart....LOL.

And your kids don't have to be constantly on the go with 4 different activities, cut it back to one or two.

Most of these people do it to themselves, they're the same ones who have "Holiday Stress"...sigh. Why can't you just relax and keep it simple?

Old 11-04-2015, 06:33 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It can. It can also add more stress if the one income is tenuous and/or the family is just eking by every month. Every family must make the decision that works best for their family. One size does not fit all.
So are they eking by or on elite soccer teams?

If I was eking, I'd reconsider having kids.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So are they eking by or on elite soccer teams?Most middle class kids are not on elite sports teams - you may experience differently in your not-so-average neck of the woods

If I was eking, I'd reconsider having kids.
And that would certainly be your prerogative .

Last edited by maciesmom; 11-04-2015 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: Wordsmithing

Old 11-04-2015, 07:42 PM

503 posts, read 1,454,869 times
When I am at Target on my phone, I am checking their cartwheel app so I can save money when I check out. Lol

Old 11-04-2015, 07:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Try doing it all as a single mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events