Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 AM

227 posts, read 258,123 times

Advertisements

I think there are a lot of reasons why life appears more stressful than it used to be, but I also think the vicious cycle begins early on and I also would argue it's almost not avoidable if you want to be a successful cog in society.

It's not enough anymore to do the minimum. To get one run up on the ladder you have to go that extra mile. And I think the reason for a lot of the stress is that we work hard just to keep the lights on. Smart phones are an option? They should be issued at birth, they've become such an integral part of our world. Do you see anyone without their phone? I don't. Meetings, classes, dinners, and the worst part is you are expected to do this. Instant gratification, instant responses, email or text, people expect rapid responses. Some of those expectations you can put off but some you can't (like your bosses, clients, etc).

Want a good job? You need usually more education than the job really requires and experience. How do you get experience if every job requires experience? You fight to get that foot in the door just so you can start working your way up and that road is often filled with low wages, job insecurity, and few benefits.

Life today vs. yesterday is a trade off -- we traded better medicine to extend our lives at the cost of our quality of life. We work harder than ever for less.

But, that said, I don't think I'd want to go back to those days. I just wish the wages and job situation would improve. It's a pitiful picture for my kids who are going to college, working, and their futures are so uncertain. I don't even know how they'll manage to afford healthcare and live on their own if healthcare costs keep rising. It's insane. What good is improved medical care if people can't afford it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
It may be ridiculous for some, but my manager, who has 5 kids, has put his first two through elite colleges with soccer scholarships. His kids were in the high travel soccer clubs, he was all over the place every weekend. But not having to pay for two scholarships and possibly 3 more may be worth it.
Friends with college aged children have advised me to have the kids enrolled in activities as they often translate to scholarships and grants for post-secondary education. Besides being enriching in and of themselves, activities are a great way for kids to learn good life skills and possibly earn money for college.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:05 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
My son was a high school swimmer and USAA Club swimmer. Practices 6 days a week; year round. High school meets on the week-ends and USA meets on the off week-ends.

Looking back, incredibly, incredibly stressful and wonderfully fun. Lots of bonding time traveling together early morning and late nights. Lots of support from other swim Moms/Parents.

It kept my son out of trouble. He did not have time to get into trouble! Bottom line, after all that - he only swam in college for one year.

He says that a) he doesn't miss it and b) he wouldn't change it because it taught him time management.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrose34 View Post
When I am at Target on my phone, I am checking their cartwheel app so I can save money when I check out. Lol
Well do you also stand there with an empty cart, 20 minutes after you entered the store because your playing with your phone? That's what I am talking about.

And can't you check that app prior to going to Target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It depends. If you are constantly going, going, going 6-7 days a week, 12-15 hour days in order to meet the demands of modern life, its extremely stressful. Stress isn't healthy. Human beings need downtime. I think you are ignoring the fact that while some societal ills have been lessened or eradicated, new ones have cropped up in their place.
t

Unless someone is working two jobs to make ends meet there is no reason, or working full time and also taking care of an elderly parent, there is no reason to be "going" like this.

I think many people today do this to themselves, somehow now constantly being "busy" has been equated with being more important in life. Too many people seem to think that if they have more to do than you do, it makes them higher up on the pecking order......LOL.

I find it amusing, being able to have downtime and relax is so much better than being "important".

Old 11-05-2015, 10:44 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well do you also stand there with an empty cart, 20 minutes after you entered the store because your playing with your phone? That's what I am talking about.

And can't you check that app prior to going to Target?
I'm thinking you've never tried using Cartwheel. It is one of he slowest, clunkiest apps I've ever used, and the internet connection inside of a Target is, in my experience, slow enough to remind one of the dark days when there was only dial-up. I wonder every time I use it where Target found their programmers.

But on the flip side, standing there looking like an idiot with an empty cart for 20 minutes while I tried to get Cartwheel to install and load my coupons did save me 20% off of my kids' back-to-school bill one day this fall...

Old 11-05-2015, 11:32 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I'm thinking you've never tried using Cartwheel. It is one of he slowest, clunkiest apps I've ever used, and the internet connection inside of a Target is, in my experience, slow enough to remind one of the dark days when there was only dial-up. I wonder every time I use it where Target found their programmers.

But on the flip side, standing there looking like an idiot with an empty cart for 20 minutes while I tried to get Cartwheel to install and load my coupons did save me 20% off of my kids' back-to-school bill one day this fall...
I don't think you get what I am saying. I really don't think the people I have seen do this are all on some app trying to get a coupon. They're texting, they're checking Facebook,etc.

These are people who can't put down the phone and just shop.

Than they whine about how overwhelmed they are.

And if Cartwheel is so slow why can't you start getting what you need anyway? Or why don't you check it at home so you know what is on sale?

But again, I really don't think all these people are trying to load this app, they're just too preoccupied with that device in their hand to focus on the task at hand.....shopping. "Oh I was in Target for two hours I am so stressed, I have no time for anything".....LOL...sigh.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:36 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I think you are trying to convince yourself you made the right choice not having a family.
That was kind of my thinking as well.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:49 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
Quote:

But again, I really don't think all these people are trying to load this app, they're just too preoccupied with that device in their hand to focus on the task at hand.....shopping. "Oh I was in Target for two hours I am so stressed, I have no time for anything".....LOL...sigh.
I bet a lot of the people who are so busy on their phone at checkout get overcharged sometimes. These people have no time to look at what's going on. Cashier asked for payment and they swipe while still talking on the phone or whatever.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:05 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
I don't think you get what I am saying. I really don't think the people I have seen do this are all on some app trying to get a coupon. They're texting, they're checking Facebook,etc.

These are people who can't put down the phone and just shop.

Than they whine about how overwhelmed they are.

And if Cartwheel is so slow why can't you start getting what you need anyway? Or why don't you check it at home so you know what is on sale?

No, I get it. I just like taking any opportunity I can to kvetch about that app.

But really, my bigger point was that you and I have no idea what is going on for those people. It could be that they are wasting time and that this happens every. single. day. and they really are wasting more time than they think. Or it could be that some unusual emergency happened in their day and they are dealing with it the best they can, and that is literally the first time ever that they personally have ever stood in a store with a cart for 20 minutes staring at their phone. We as bystanders really have no way of knowing.

And there is always the fact that as cell phones have proliferated, so have employers' expectations that their employees be available 24/7. I know nurses who are perpetually on call and are expected to have their phones on them at all times, and salespeople who have up to 15 minutes to respond when a lead comes in to their phone, regardless of the time and where they are. I'm certain there are other jobs like this that follow people around everywhere - even into Target.

Last edited by AminWi; 11-05-2015 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Missing apostrophe

Old 11-05-2015, 12:10 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Having no kids these days is a real advantage.

I'm not planning to have either unless i get really lucky and make huge money.

Otherwise having no kids really works for most of people.

You can travel, relocate and plan much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events