Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 12:15 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I don't think you get what I am saying. I really don't think the people I have seen do this are all on some app trying to get a coupon. They're texting, they're checking Facebook,etc.

These are people who can't put down the phone and just shop.

Than they whine about how overwhelmed they are.

And if Cartwheel is so slow why can't you start getting what you need anyway? Or why don't you check it at home so you know what is on sale?

But again, I really don't think all these people are trying to load this app, they're just too preoccupied with that device in their hand to focus on the task at hand.....shopping. "Oh I was in Target for two hours I am so stressed, I have no time for anything".....LOL...sigh.
Not that I dont agree people spend too much time on devices but I dont believe that is the cause of stress and overwhelm or time consumption, not for the majority anyway.

Dont these things (apps. cell phones) make our lives easier? Maybe they are multi-tasking. Downloading coupons, where it once took a lot of time to clip and organize, checking on the kids (text), ordering diner, things that once required doing at home on a land line or actually driving there in person.

I dont have a smart phone to do a lot of these things but being able to get a text, "hey gma practice is over come get me" saves me from wasting time just sitting at the school waiting, or "he gma were out of milk" while Im at the grocery save me an additional trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:19 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
I think some people choose to be stressed and live high stress. However, I do think that the demands of work are far greater than they used to be, especially with the "always on call" ability with phones, computers, etc. I seriously think some people in Europe have the work life balance thing better figured out than we do. I don't care if they pay higher taxes - they seem happier to me

Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I think some people choose to be stressed and live high stress. However, I do think that the demands of work are far greater than they used to be, especially with the "always on call" ability with phones, computers, etc. I seriously think some people in Europe have the work life balance thing better figured out than we do. I don't care if they pay higher taxes - they seem happier to me

One of my colleagues in Australia was answering emails from his clients until 2 AM AEST the other night. How can a person have a life, much less a family, under such conditions?

Old 11-05-2015, 01:03 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One of my colleagues in Australia was answering emails from his clients until 2 AM AEST the other night. How can a person have a life, much less a family, under such conditions?
This is fairly standard in the software industry, especially in companies that offshore (which is almost all of them, these days). In order to communicate with colleagues, you're expected to find time to overlap with your coworkers 11 or 12 time zones away - and keep core business hours, besides. And you are salaried, so you don't get anything extra for those off-hours. It makes it incredibly hard to get kids off to school in the morning, and just relax and spend time with one's family in the evening.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:05 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Modern family is a **** up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZQJ_9aPzL4

Old 11-05-2015, 01:06 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
There was a guy on one of the city forums I read lately where an elite youth soccer club was a requirement. Ridiculous.
A requirement? For what? No one is required to do that, it's a choice.
Not to mention the original post is silly in comparing lifestyles- children w/long commute vs childfree w/minimal commute. Obviously a longer commute is more stressful regardless of parental status.

Go ahead and congratulate yourself on the choice you made, but realize that your 'stressed out' co-worker most likely gets a joy from those children that you may never understand, AND he and his wife have the evenings to themselves after the kids are tucked in bed.

Parenting doesn't have to be as stressful as you make it out to be.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:09 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
This is fairly standard in the software industry, especially in companies that offshore (which is almost all of them, these days). In order to communicate with colleagues, you're expected to find time to overlap with your coworkers 11 or 12 time zones away - and keep core business hours, besides. And you are salaried, so you don't get anything extra for those off-hours. It makes it incredibly hard to get kids off to school in the morning, and just relax and spend time with one's family in the evening.
You nailed it.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not that I dont agree people spend too much time on devices but I dont believe that is the cause of stress and overwhelm or time consumption, not for the majority anyway.

Dont these things (apps. cell phones) make our lives easier? Maybe they are multi-tasking. Downloading coupons, where it once took a lot of time to clip and organize, checking on the kids (text), ordering diner, things that once required doing at home on a land line or actually driving there in person.

I dont have a smart phone to do a lot of these things but being able to get a text, "hey gma practice is over come get me" saves me from wasting time just sitting at the school waiting, or "he gma were out of milk" while Im at the grocery save me an additional trip.
Well that is kind of debatable if they make life easier. It's already been proven that humans don't really "multi task", you're going to focus on one activity.

Try watching a movie on TV and being on your computer at the same time. One is going to be the priority.

Quote:
Well he is a fool or you work for a horrible company, it's called having boundaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Again boundaries, if you set yourself up to always be available than you create the problem.

If an employer thinks you're tethered to them 24/7 than you find another employer.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:28 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,063 times
I was born in the last days of the Soviet Union falling apart. Those years were poor, but they were also happy. I was the last person in my class to get a cell phone because I did not want my parents to track me. I taught myself to read at 4, to swim at 10, and my dad taught me to ride a bike at 12. I have never been enrolled in any activities, but I always found something to occupy myself with. I walked to school on my own when I was 7 (it was only across the street though). After school I would go home, warm up dinner on a gas stove, then either read or go play with friends. We played hide-and-seek or tag or kicked the football, or jumped ropes, or explored the nearby forest, or stomped in puddles etc. Then parents would come home, and I would do homework in the kitchen while they were making dinner and overseeing me. Then I was free again to read some more (I was always an avid reader) until bath-and bedtime.

There were no video games or computers back them. Sometimes they would show Hollywood horror movies on TV (like Terminator), and each of these movies was a big event. But we were never hooked on screens.

Like I said, those years were poor, but I would never exchange them for the life of a modern American kid.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:31 PM

774 posts, read 745,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Try doing it all as a single mom
And if you can't do it then you can always leave your kids with the ex and start another life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events