Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2016, 11:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconFlight View Post
On the FBI's side:

The information could stop a terrorist attack and save lives.
Terrorists presently unknown to the FBI could be captured.

Meh, my liberty trumps the government's pernicious needful ways.
On a government owned iPhone that he used for business ?

More than likely whatever they are looking for were in the 2 other cellphones that they had and smashed and threw in the garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 12:50 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
Okay ... apparently I need to clarify.

This is intended for the muzzie's to drop their guard. One of the problems the military and LE face is the encrypted phone messages. With this "admission" that they cannot crack the code will make them send even more information which can be decoded and used.

It's also cover for them to make up another reason to track the names/numbers they got off the assassin's phone. Many times information is classified, not because of the information, but because of the source of the information. The FBI gets the information and then tags the terrorist. Of course, the thug will try to figure out just how he was fingered. By acting stupid, the FBI can 'bring in the sheep' and still keep the door to discovery open ... hence more sheep.

The FBI has been cracking codes for years and now I am to believe they can't/haven't cracked this? I guess I wanna buy a bridge ... anyone got one?

El Nox

Various articles state that it would take YEARS to break the encryption on devices with 256-bit encryption. That's simply too time and also cost prohibitive to do.
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/4...ity-threshold/
Quote:
At the heart of Apple’s security architecture is the Advanced Encryption Standard algorithm (AES), a data-scrambling system published in 1998 and adopted as a U.S. government standard in 2001. After more than a decade of exhaustive analysis, AES is widely regarded as unbreakable. The algorithm is so strong that no computer imaginable for the foreseeable future—even a quantum computer—would be able to crack a truly random 256-bit AES key. The National Security Agency has approved AES-256 for storing top-secret data.
Quote:
At the heart of Apple’s security architecture is the Advanced Encryption Standard algorithm (AES), a data-scrambling system published in 1998 and adopted as a U.S. government standard in 2001. After more than a decade of exhaustive analysis, AES is widely regarded as unbreakable. The algorithm is so strong that no computer imaginable for the foreseeable future—even a quantum computer—would be able to crack a truly random 256-bit AES key. The National Security Agency has approved AES-256 for storing top-secret data.
Quote:
“There are a lot of issues when it comes to extracting data from iOS devices,” says Amber Schroader, CEO of Paraben, a supplier of forensic software, hardware, and services for cell phones. “We have had many civil cases we have not been able to process … for discovery because of encryption blocking us.”

If the NSA wants to intercept messages and be able to read them, they need to do so when they're NOT encrypted, as once it gets to that point, there's not much they can do given how strong things have gotten.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:32 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
...If the FBI wants to do it, let them do it. It is not the duty of any citizen, business or human, to help the FBI.
When I think of the millions of people over the centuries who have fought and died and otherwise sacrificed for their country, to hear a statement like yours make me sick to my stomach.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I totally agree.

And I would ask Cook what he would do if it were his family members that were killed by the Islamic terrorists? I bet he would have a different view on the subject. Course, he probably does NOT care about other people getting killed.
Total agreement.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:38 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,560,415 times
NOTB...and I hate acronyms. Go Apple...fight this. The ramifications of not doing so are unimaginable.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

Are you willing to give up all your rights on the slim possibility that it "may","might" stop something later? It's not just himself (Cook) that he has to think of, it's every one of Apple's customers. I think he's seeing it as he has no right to give away others privacy rights. If we were talking about water boarding the two terrorists, well that's another thing all together and would fall under the "what would you do if your kid was a target of terrorists".
There's NO evidence that there's anything on the phone in question, just that it belonged to a kook.

When it comes to the feds it's been proven over and over again that there is NO BALANCE, it's always whatever is best for them and screw the general public as we have no idea what's needed to stay safe. Only nanny knows!
I'm sorry but they've (the government) has proven over and over again "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile or five".
1. This is not giving up all your rights.
2. So it's alright to go to war over terrorism and watch thousands die, but don't open a telephone. It's alright to carpet bomb another nation, but don't open a telephone. Bizarre thinking.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
1. This is not giving up all your rights.
2. So it's alright to go to war over terrorism and watch thousands die, but don't open a telephone. It's alright to carpet bomb another nation, but don't open a telephone. Bizarre thinking.
So sorry Phetaroi, (because I usually agree with you) but on this one I must disagree. It opens too many doors into people's private matters.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People are forgetting a few things here.

The two of them used throwaway cellphones that were found smashed up in their garbage.
The phone in question was his county government work phone.

You think he did "terrorist business" on a government owned cellphone ?

And besides, it was the wife that had the terrorist background and converted him.

Apple has resisted all attempts by the various levels of governments to "unlock the iPhone".
The last one was October 2015...meth dealer on trial and the local government wanted Apple to unlock his cellphone.
This is something that I was not aware of. So let me confirm -- the iphone in question was not the person's personal property, but belonged to a government agency, yet people are saying the terrorist has the right to personal privacy on a phone that did not belong to them?

Last edited by phetaroi; 02-18-2016 at 06:11 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 05:44 AM

No, the rest of us do. Writing that code is slam dunk for the rest of us to get hacked....

Old 02-18-2016, 05:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This is something that I was not aware of. So let me confirm -- the iphone in question was not the person's personal property, but belonged to a government agency, yet me are saying the terrorist has the right to personal privacy?
No one is arguing that. The issue is changing the phone OS to be less secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events