Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 04:03 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
"Mother" and I use that term loosely was not in control of her small child. She's saying it was an "accident." That kind of explanation says a lot about her her mind set. If I was the mother I wouldn't have been saying, "Mommy loves you." I would have jumped in the dam* pen and got him out. I also think the zoo overreacted. Tranquilize the animal and if he started getting threatening, then shoot him as a last resort.
They shoot him with a dart and he starts swinging the child like he did before only now in the air.
(see the first video of this site: http://heavy.com/.../gorilla-cincinnati-zoo-harambe.../ )

Can you make such a shot in those circumstances? Who do you think on this planet can make such a shot? Do you expect each Zoo to have such a shooter on their crisis team? If so, are you willing to fund the training, practice, range time, and equipment to be such a shot?

Long story short, people are dreaming if they think in such situations it can be handled by degrees with a firm belief that nothing too terrible will happen if the lesser way doesn't work.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I saw that this morning and thought of a certain "parent" on this thread. I cannot believe there are others who punish their kids in such a way.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:12 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,176,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
CPS? Surely, you jest. If CPS had a clue, they would now step in and remove any other kids these people might have, if any. But they won't, and like others have said, the parents will likely be rewarded by way of a settlement.

Stupid people shouldn't breed. This story proves it!
I didn't say they were effective, just that there is a reason it came into being.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:27 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,780,211 times
These wild animals should be in their wild habitat and not behind bars and in moats...for the pleasure of mankind.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:30 PM

5,863 posts, read 3,303,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I thought this, too. I have zero respect for him, too.
Yes because you are an expert. Hannah has spent years with wildlife and knows less than you do!!!!

Old 05-30-2016, 04:32 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,641,367 times
They did the right thing in shooting the gorilla.

What's sad as that this is even debatable. Watch the gorilla picking the kid up and tossing him around. His mom's trying to reassure him he'll be ok as the gorilla is dragging him into the water.

Give praise to the zoo team that did what needed to be done to protect the boy!

Would you really have second guessed the decision if it was your child? The only judgment that needs to be determined was whether or not they should have waited so long to pull the trigger.

A male ape at that size could have crushed the kid. Next time make sure no human is getting in the habitat of a wild animal.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:35 PM

5,793 posts, read 5,115,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
It has nothing to do with being PC. It has everything to do with protecting people from a witch-hunt mentality driven by (a) a ridiculous assessment of the value of an ANIMAL'S life and (b) ridiculous expectations that parents are on 24/7 watch-tower duty like they're in charge of a prison and if one single solitary second exists which they can't account for and an unforeseen incident occurs we should burn them at the stake, fine them $1,593,234,297 dollars, adopt their children out to people who ARE willing to be on 24/7 watch-tower duty and have them fired from their jobs and have them be the first name on the National Scarlet Letter Registry.
It took more than a second for this kid to find his eat rhrough several railing and fences, through bushes and then crawl over a ledge. This parent was hugely negligent. Yes a witch hunt is very appropriate and the animal was an endangered species.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
They did the right thing in shooting the gorilla.

What's sad as that this is even debatable. Watch the gorilla picking the kid up and tossing him around. His mom's trying to reassure him he'll be ok as the gorilla is dragging him into the water.

Give praise to the zoo team that did what needed to be done to protect the boy!

Would you really have second guessed the decision if it was your child? The only judgment that needs to be determined was whether or not they should have waited so long to pull the trigger.

A male ape at that size could have crushed the kid. Next time make sure no human is getting in the habitat of a wild animal.
I don't understand the anger against the zoo. It should be directed against the parent.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That's kind of excessive, don't you think?
Why? You want another endangered animal to be shot to death because of human negligence? I don't.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:43 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,235,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It's entirely possible. It what zoos did when I was a kid, they kept the animals in cages.

But then animal behaviorists became enlightened and started helping zoos to create natural habitats to keep the animals happy and healthy and so people could see that their natural environment looked like.

The cages were there to protect people from the animals. Now they may have to be revived to protect the animals from people.
no. no i don't mean cages at all. some sort of barrier that is impossible to get by is what i mean.

there have been too many times where someone with a death wish or like in this case, a child, or someone who is just simply stupid and tries to be cool or whatever.

there should be a way to make it so that humans cannot come in contact in any way with these animals. but not a cage. that is not what i mean at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events