Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 11:59 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
So now it's the hotel's fault? It's everyone else's fault but their own.
Sometimes horrible things happen to children, but its not always the parent's fault. The child could have been just near the water, and still gotten snatched by the alligator. The child could have been holding onto a parent's hand, and still gotten snatched by the alligator. How exactly is this the parent's fault? Disney claims the no swimming is because of the motorized boats in the lagoon, not because of alligators. The parent's might have previously gone swimming in the lagoon, when swimming was allowed, and not realized that things had changed. Yes there were no swimming signs, but if the no swimming is really because of alligators, that is something Disney needs to warn their guests about. I had said previously that while staying at Dixie Landing (another Disney resort that now goes by a different name... Port Orleans maybe?) we were warned that an alligator had been spotted in one of the water ways and so to be careful around any water. If it was known to Disney that alligators were in the lagoon, then that is also something that guests should be warned about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:05 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I heard these people were from Nebraska. They probably had no idea that alligators could be in Disney World. Alligators were probably the last thing on the minds to worry about. Were there signs about alligators along with the No Swimming signs.
Common sense is an endangered species in this world.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Apparently it is because I'm not from Florida but visit Disney often, and I had no idea that there were alligators lurking around the parks and hotels that could jump out of the water and eat people. Now that I'm aware, I will keep that in mind during my next trip and certainly won't get too close to any bodies of water. I'm pretty sure I got somewhat close to a river outside of my hotel during my last trip and alligators never crossed my mind.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:19 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Maybe I fall into this category. Im from eastern NC, there are alligators in my area. Being at Disney World Park, I probably wouldn't be thinking of gators in what I think is an enclosed park. Im guessing a lot more signs will be posting this information.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:23 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Let me tell you even some people from florida don't know to keep away from gators . I was in a state park in Pinellas county and this guy had a bag of mcdonalds food in his hand and he was right on the edge of the water . I told my husband what an idiot and apparently his MIL was standing right beside me and she said "that is my SIL and youre right he is an idiot " so she yelled at him . Hey rodger get away from the water with that bag of food ". I asked the lady does he feed them , she says well if he does let that gator have him .So it does not do any good to have any signs posted you will still see people ignoring the signs and they know better .Alligators are everywhere in florida there is nothing you can do but keep your distance .

Old 06-15-2016, 12:30 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Sometimes horrible things happen to children, but its not always the parent's fault. The child could have been just near the water, and still gotten snatched by the alligator. The child could have been holding onto a parent's hand, and still gotten snatched by the alligator. How exactly is this the parent's fault? Disney claims the no swimming is because of the motorized boats in the lagoon, not because of alligators. The parent's might have previously gone swimming in the lagoon, when swimming was allowed, and not realized that things had changed. Yes there were no swimming signs, but if the no swimming is really because of alligators, that is something Disney needs to warn their guests about. I had said previously that while staying at Dixie Landing (another Disney resort that now goes by a different name... Port Orleans maybe?) we were warned that an alligator had been spotted in one of the water ways and so to be careful around any water. If it was known to Disney that alligators were in the lagoon, then that is also something that guests should be warned about.
But that's not what happened. In fact, any one of those scenarios you mentioned would have dramatically decreased the chance of a successful alligator attack. Because what you described above is a responsible parent, which is the exact opposite of these folks. Here is a link showing just how much more dangerous an alligator attack in water is over one that's on land. There is a reason why we are taught that the first rule when spotting a gator is to get out of the water.

Alligator Hunting Tactics Revealed in 'Crittercam' Study [VIDEO] : Animals : Nature World News

This and numerous other studies have shown that alligators are exponentially more successful when the attack came WHILE THE ALLIGATOR WAS SUBMURGED. Meaning, if he had to strike into land there would have been a good chance that the child would have survived. To say the parents share no fault in this scenario would be inaccurate.

They share a big part of the blame. First, the Sheriff in this case confirmed that the child was the ONLY ONE in the water at the time of the attack:

Alligator Dragged Boy Into Water Near Disney Resort: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Meaning even if he was in just 1 feet of water he was pretty much unsupervised. Anyone who is a responsible parent would agree with me. The boy was only 2 years old! I wouldn't even let my two year old walk with me in a Publix parking lot without holding my hand. And these parents think it ok to let him walk around an area they are unfamiliar with, in the middle of the night and go into the water where it says "no swimming" by himself? That's just crazy irresponsible!

Think about it. Even if the no swimming sign referred to rough water or some other hazard; how can you as a parent just let your kid go into any water that could be potentially dangerous without PHYSICALLY being right next to him. In fact, I would say no really responsible parent would let their kid get into any water that had a no swimming sign posted. The fact that the Sheriff confirmed that the child was the only one in the water says it all. The younger a child is the more susceptible he/she is to danger. The fact that they would let a 2 year do what they let him do shows just how irresponsible they are.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:33 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Let me tell you even some people from florida don't know to keep away from gators . I was in a state park in Pinellas county and this guy had a bag of mcdonalds food in his hand and he was right on the edge of the water . I told my husband what an idiot and apparently his MIL was standing right beside me and she said "that is my SIL and youre right he is an idiot " so she yelled at him . Hey rodger get away from the water with that bag of food ". I asked the lady does he feed them , she says well if he does let that gator have him .So it does not do any good to have any signs posted you will still see people ignoring the signs and they know better .Alligators are everywhere in florida there is nothing you can do but keep your distance .
Give it a few days. There will be so many signs it will block your view of the water. They are probably printing them as we speak. We humans can be complacent, we have to be reminded of the most simplest things in life.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:35 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Because what you described above is a responsible parent, which is the exact opposite of these folks.
Tell us, how do you know the parents? Since you seem to know so much about them and their parenting abilities.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:37 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post

Meaning even if he was in just 1 feet of water he was pretty much unsupervised. Anyone who is a responsible parent would agree with me. The boy was only 2 years old! I wouldn't even let my two year old walk with me in a Publix parking lot without holding my hand. And these parents think it ok to let him walk around an area they are unfamiliar with, in the middle of the night and go into the water where it says "no swimming" by himself? That's not responsible parenting.

Think about it. Even if the no swimming sign referred to rough water or some other hazard; how can you as a parent just let your kid go into any water that could be potentially dangerous without PHYSICALLY being right next to him. In fact, I would say no really responsible parent would let their kid get into any water that had a no swimming sign posted. The fact that the Sheriff confirmed that the child was the only one in the water says it all. The younger a child is the more susceptible he/she is to danger. The fact that they would let a 2 year do what they let him do shows just how irresponsible they are.
Although I think you are correct about the need to supervise children (of any age), I hope this doesn't turn into a "blame the parents" thread.

The simple fact is that most people are capable of severe misjudgments, and this one had tragic consequences.

I would bet that the parents are blaming themselves quite enough without having a lot of strangers chiming in and blaming them, too. The family of the toddler have nothing but my sympathy until if and when it is proven that they were incredibly and grossly negligent -- for example, if they were drunk -- and nothing that I have read so far leads me to believe that was the case.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:44 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Exactly. And that's why I keep going back to the idea of Disney's negligence in this. 1) Knowing that there is a specific risk. 2) Knowing that your brand puts out an image of fantasy, and dare I say, safety. 3) Deciding not to let your guests know about said risk.

Yeah, like I said, this will keep the lawyers and other experts busy for a while.

I disagree that this will take a while, that's the last thing Disney wants as it will keep the story in the news and every iteration will cause more people to avoid the parks. No, expect a very swift, sealed settlement as Disney puts on the silent business-as-usual face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events