Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 12:37 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Perhaps. I know that the spot I was at was one where people have fished numerous times, and given that someone once drowned there who had been fishing but decided to cool off and jumped in, my activity shouldn't have been seen as THAT odd.

If they thought I was struggling in the water as that guy had and the call was one of making sure I was OK, I'd understood that, and I know that especially after this people are on edge. But gee whiz, cooling off in a creek where others have fished before numerous times shouldn't be treated like someone chatting Allah in a crowded airport.
Perhaps but then again.........

..........something else that was passed my way after 9/11. The FBI started checking out dive shops.

This goes partially into what I alluded to in the "My daughter was disciplined...." in the Parenting section when I talked about the jogger who passed too close to me one night. Jumping to the chase, one of the myths I have seen in American culture is ....."Because I am not a threat to anyone, no one will perceive me as threat to them".

Do not fall into that illusion or, if one is questioned on it, do not be alarmed when they do.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:40 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
In a micro level, there are 50 people who have been killed. Another 53 have been injured. The number of people suffering because a loved one was killed or wounded undoubtedly numbers in the thousands. Those are all individual tragedies.

However, on a macro level terrorism does not work. The individual acts may be tactical successes. But terrorists almost never achieve their strategic aims.

Terrorism and Civil War: Rebel groups like ISIS who use terrorism almost never achieve their objectives. So why to they keep at it?

Does terrorism work as a political strategy? The evidence says no - LA Times

Why Terrorism Does Not Work - MIT

This will be little consolation for the victims, direct or indirect, of this heinous act. But the rest of us need to understand that while terrorist organizations lash out, they do so feebly. They kill. They generate headlines.

And ultimately, they fail.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And some good news.

Turkey has finally accepted the reality of a major Kurdish role in the offensive against the Manbij pocket, which is close to being cut off.
http://www.thenational.ae/world/midd...anbij-in-north

And Sirte is falling.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/11/world/...rte-offensive/

Old 06-12-2016, 12:46 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As a foreign contributor to these boards; I would choose to refrain from the usual banter and instead offer my sincere condolences to the victims, their families and loved ones and to the American people as a whole.

America is absorbing far too many of these types of occasions for them to not have an affect on your psyche as a nation.

You are being sorely tested to maintain your charitable and compassionate nature for the future.

Please prevail in spite of these horrendous events.

God bless you.
And thank YOU for the support and encouragement in these tough times. It means more than you know.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:54 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,596,157 times
So sad. People dancing and having a good time and some deranged nut case ruins it.

Rest in peace to those that lost their lives and condolences to their families.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Some are speculating ISIS is targeting gay pride events.
I'm speculating the regular gay haters are coming out to cause trouble. These are run of the mill hate crimes.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'm speculating the regular gay haters are coming out to cause trouble. These are run of the mill hate crimes.
I tend to think these mass tragedies are perpetrated by losers who are consumed by hate against society in general... they're just angry idiots looking for any excuse to let loose against a group of random innocent strangers. The first convenient excuse they find will do.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I tend to think these mass tragedies are perpetrated by losers who are consumed by hate against society in general... they're just angry idiots looking for any excuse to let loose against a group of random innocent strangers. The first convenient excuse they find will do.
I agree. We just want to make it about him being a Muslim. I think he got hit on by a gay person and was already mentally unstable. Mentally unstable people do crazy stuff and can easily justify anything.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
50 people are dead. .

Wow. Back when I went clubbing, I loved going to gay clubs because you could just dance in peace. Horrific.
Me too when I was much younger. I had a gay friend who used to take me to them. We loved to dance.

This killer was a monster. His intentions may have been to kill gays but certainly there were straight people killed as well. Bullets don't discriminate.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:09 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It's usually the case. However, the reason they FIND the excuse is religion and political ideology. Like it or not religion does say that certain people are awful or that doing horrible thing to people is the path to glory. We like to think we are above it and have evolved to a point where we can take the nice parts of religion and make it pretty while coming up with all sorts of reasons to ignore the yucky stuff. But just the fact that it exists mean there will always be people who don't think it's worth following a religion unless you follow it to the letter. What we call extremists, terrorists, bad folk, are often people just following religion the way it actually is. Substitute religion with political ideology and you get the same thing.

The end result is we have these things we claim to support and even actively encourage (freedom of religion, multiculturalism, etc.) that are AT THEIR CORE in opposition to the western societies and laws we have created and the life we enjoy here. The only way to prevent it is to prevent it, but we don't for a bunch of really really stupid reason.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:18 PM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Very Very Sad - RIP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events