Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 08:32 PM

235 posts, read 434,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Obviously, if there is such an issue with Hooters being a sponsor, those who thought that this was a good idea should be relieved of their duties in the future. I'm sure there are lots of people who will volunteer to find other, more "family friendly" sponsors. Or, just have the families pay the unsubsidized price for the summer camp and not have to deal with issues like this. Seems awfully simple to me.
I see nothing wrong with sponsorship. My son worked at Hooters when he became a singe dad 21 years ago. He worked there for almost a year. I don't think people realize the reason many of the girls that work there are that they are single moms, and this is one place they can make great tips. Some of them are paying their way thru school. They are not working there for the fun of it.

And, as to the remark about parents paying the unsubsidized price for summer camp, many kids would be left out that would not be able to go otherwise. At one time, we had three grandsons in the same troop. Without the subsidies, they would not have been able to go. We were able to pay a portion, but not all of it. And camp is expensive.

Question for you: have you ever considered a sponsorship, or volunteered for a troop? IMO, if you have not, then after your comments,maybe you should . It's very rewarding. My late husband and I volunteered when our daughter and son-in-law were unable to. I run into the kids that aged out a few years ago, and still get hugs. When my husband passed away, many of them showed up to the viewing. Done my heart good to see them come pay their respects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Would there have been a problem that the girls came to volunteer and left the hat at home? Why would young women who some say are mothers, have to advertise Hooters when they volunteer? I don't think it had much to do about "young women" volunteering it is what they were advertising. The shorts and shirt would have looked fine without advertising the girls have Hooters, nothing about if the place you live by is a nice place. Girls with Hooters are usually nice people.

Is this really that hard to get?

It would be like marijuana supporters walking in with pot leaves/plants on their shirts, nothing against pot smokers what so ever. I just rather they didn't encourage my child or my child be exposed to it at a cub scout function.......I don't need you or others to tell me they could see this on a beach, the kids were not at the beach or mall.
The restaurant sponsored the day camp, and the young women volunteered there as representatives of the restaurant. Why is that so hard for you to get?

Old 07-07-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Is it resources or stubbornness? Both can be fixed.
Resources.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:46 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Obviously, if there is such an issue with Hooters being a sponsor, those who thought that this was a good idea should be relieved of their duties in the future. I'm sure there are lots of people who will volunteer to find other, more "family friendly" sponsors. Or, just have the families pay the unsubsidized price for the summer camp and not have to deal with issues like this. Seems awfully simple to me.
Our troop had several kids who couldn't participate without help. There are a few fundraising opportunities, but some kids needed more money than that either because they had parents who were barely getting by or they simply had crappy parents. Those are the kids who probably need camp the most. A sponsorship like Hooters allows more of those kids to go.

After this, the BSA probably will look at sponsors and what guidelines to use. Even if they change the guidelines, Hooters may still donate money and volunteers. Those Hooters volunteers would look just as cute in the official camp t-shirt. They may even make better volunteers than some of us parents because they are younger and tend to be more fun, energetic and have more patience.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
It would be like marijuana supporters walking in with pot leaves/plants on their shirts, nothing against pot smokers what so ever. I just rather they didn't encourage my child or my child be exposed to it at a cub scout function.......
What illegal activity were the girls promoting by being at the boy scout camp? Its not like they were there to provide the children a lunch of wings and beer.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:49 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
It's one thing for the Hooter's employees to donate to the Cub Scouts (it's fine); however, posting pictures of themselves with the boys on Social Media is more likely what caused a ruckus. Using the scouts for advertising is the part that doesn't seem right.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
They may even make better volunteers than some of us parents because they are younger and tend to be more fun, energetic and have more patience.
That is true. I am sure it is in their job description to be fun and energetic while at work. And having been a server myself (other places), it does take a lot of patience as well.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:51 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The restaurant sponsored the day camp, and the young women volunteered there as representatives of the restaurant. Why is that so hard for you to get?
Why is the idea of them leaving the hats at the restaurant, hard to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What illegal activity were the girls promoting by being at the boy scout camp? Its not like they were there to provide the children a lunch of wings and beer.
So, why did they have to wear the hats?

I am not talking about their volunteer service, that is fine! As I said, I would not want pot supporters advertising pot either at a cub scout function.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:

I am not talking about their volunteer service!
Because the restaurant determines what they wear when they volunteer. As much as I think some are making more of this than is called for, they are correct that it is a promotional/public relations activity, and the volunteers wear clothing that reflects the sponsor they represent. When my husband volunteers for his tech employer, he wears company attire, too. Similarly, when the Boy Scouts donate their time as volunteers, they wear their BSA uniforms.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-07-2016 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Because they were there representing the restaurant.

I've worked at animal shelters. We would have companies come in and do volunteer hours all the time. They always wore shirts or hats with their company name on them. I don't recall Hooters ever volunteering, but there wasn't one in the area. I know we had girls from Red Bull volunteer before, and FedEx volunteered a lot. Would you be bothered by FedEx employees volunteering and wearing a company shirt? Or the Red Bull girls who are hired to look sexy and go out and promote the brand? Or are you just offended by the Hooter's name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events