Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2016, 09:18 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Zika has already claimed its first US infant life in Texas.

Harris County infant dies in first Zika-related death in Texas | abc13.com
Wow this mom who went abroad and brought it back should be charged with thousands of counts of fetal endangerment! Or did she smack all the mosquitoes before they flew to the neighbor and spread Zika? This could the source of the Texas epidemic!

But the article doesn't say anything about that....

"
  • About 1 in 5 people infected with Zika virus become ill (i.e., develop Zika).
  • The most common symptoms of Zika are fever, rash, joint pain, or conjunctivitis (red eyes). Other common symptoms include muscle pain and headache. The incubation period (the time from exposure to symptoms) for Zika virus disease is not known, but is likely to be a few days to a week.
  • The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week.
  • Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for a few days but it can be found longer in some people.
  • Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon.
  • Death is rare.
"

So the baby died how? Doesn't say if there were underlying conditions or complications. Just one of those rare deaths I guess.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Wow this mom who went abroad and brought it back should be charged with thousands of counts of fetal endangerment! Or did she smack all the mosquitoes before they flew to the neighbor and spread Zika? This could the source of the Texas epidemic!

But the article doesn't say anything about that....

"
  • About 1 in 5 people infected with Zika virus become ill (i.e., develop Zika).
  • The most common symptoms of Zika are fever, rash, joint pain, or conjunctivitis (red eyes). Other common symptoms include muscle pain and headache. The incubation period (the time from exposure to symptoms) for Zika virus disease is not known, but is likely to be a few days to a week.
  • The illness is usually mild with symptoms lasting for several days to a week.
  • Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for a few days but it can be found longer in some people.
  • Severe disease requiring hospitalization is uncommon.
  • Death is rare.
"

So the baby died how? Doesn't say if there were underlying conditions or complications. Just one of those rare deaths I guess.
Complications due to microcephaly maybe?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:35 AM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Complications due to microcephaly maybe?
Microcephaly is not the only birth defect Zika causes. It damages nerve cells everywhere in the fetus and also affects placental function. It is associated with miscarriages and stillbirths, and it does not matter how late in pregnancy the infection happens.

All the news is reporting is that the Texas infant had microcephaly and died soon after birth.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:01 PM

706 posts, read 757,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you do not watch MSM how do you know what the MSM is saying about Zika and malformations? You are the one that insists that the MSM is saying Zika causes all microcephaly. It's up to you to provide examples.
Quote:
Uh, uh. That's not the way it works. You said MSM is blaming all cases of microcephaly on Zika. It's up to you to support your position.
Um, no. You insist that MSM is talking about other possibilities besides Zika and I said you'd have to show me that because I haven't seen anything like that. Obviously, you can't.

Quote:
There is no need to vaccinate for every infectious disease. Most are self limited and cause no lasting harm. I am grateful for the vaccines for diseases that used to maim and kill large numbers of people, and I must admit that one for the common cold would be nice.
Lol. Thanks, but I'll treat myself for my own infections rather than let more vaccines be put into my body.

Quote:
Note that my reply to you was based on your reference to "chemicals". You said nothing about pesticides in that post.

I have obviously taken a lot more science classes than you have, that's for sure. Made As in them, too, including chemistry.

Pesticides make foods plentiful. While I would not dine on them, properly used on crops they are not dangerous.
What a really naive thought process. If you think pesticides aren't harming people, then you're mistaken.

The effect of glyphosate on potential pathogens and beneficial members of poultry microbiota in vitro. - PubMed - NCBI

Pesticide Exposure and Depression Among Agricultural Workers in France

Low-level pesticide exposure linked to Parkinson's disease - Medical News Today

Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and occupational exposure to agricultural pesticide chemical groups and active ingredients: a systematic review and meta-analy... - PubMed - NCBI

IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Glyphosate, Hard Water and Nephrotoxic Metals: Are They the Culprits Behind the Epidemic of Chronic Kidney Disease of Unknown Etiology in Sri Lanka?

An acute exposure to glyphosate-based herbicide alters aromatase levels in testis and sperm nuclear quality

Your Grandmother's Pesticide Exposure Could Be Making You Obese

Pesticide exposure during pregnancy linked to autism | Fox News

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/argen...grochemicals-2

Latin American Herald Tribune - Herbicide Used in Argentina Could Cause Birth Defects

http://omicsonline.org/open-access/d...25.1000230.pdf

Pesticide use and incident diabetes among wives of farmers in the Agricultural Health Study -- Starling et al. -- Occupational and Environmental Medicine

GMO Seralini – Roundup is toxic to the heart

http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journa...%2970134-8.pdf

Genetic damage in soybean workers exposed to pesticides: Evaluation with the comet and buccal micronucleus cytome assays

Fruit and vegetable intake and their pesticide residues in relation to semen quality among men from a fertility clinic

Quote:
Virtually every fruit or vegetable you eat is the result of selective propagation in order to produce plants with desirable characteristics. The laboratory in the past was the field those plants were grown in.

Selective breeding has brought us the amazing variety of dogs and other domestic animals we have. They are all organisms genetically modified by man.
Again, naive (at best). When I (and most everyone) speak of "GMOs", I am talking about the modern lab-created ones that combine different species into one organism. That is NOT the same as the selective breeding we've been doing for centuries.

Quote:
I am sure we will never agree. I will continue to challenge outrageous statements wherever I find them, though.
I haven't said anything outrageous so what do you think you're challenging? My opinion that zika itself isn't the only problem?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Well, the mosquitoes do not really "make" the virus, they are just taxi drivers for it, so to speak. The virus hops on the skeeter when she makes a drive thru stop for a meal on an infected person and hops off at every meal after that.

The topic of emerging diseases is complicated and fascinating, mutations of pathogens being part of it, enabling diseases to jump from one species to another, with population movements and environmental changes also playing a role.

Zika is not really new. What is new is the determination that it can cause severe birth defects.
The operative word there being "can" (cause birth defects). It doesn't always. That's not to say that pregnant women shouldn't guard against mosquito bites, in general.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:11 PM

Like I've been saying, we should be looking at other causes for the recent outbreak of birth defects.

Brazil now has doubts that Zika alone causes birth defects | Public Radio International

Is Zika the cause of Microcephaly? Status Report June 22, 2016 | NECSI

Oh, and about that new vaccine people are crying for....that might not be such a good idea.

Contrary dengue vaccine response hints at possible problems with Zika | CIDRAP

Old 08-17-2016, 02:38 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times
See's here's the problem with your "panic" one certain poster who lives in Georgia and should know better. Yes, darling, I know it snows in Georgia too.

Mosquitoes with temps under 70 degrees? Even here in South Florida that alone cuts down the mosquito population, let alone WINTER with snow and sub freezing temps up North. Listen to the Rio Athletes where it is Winter there now. "Not seeing mosquitoes". Remove standing water when it doesn't rains for MONTHS? Up North? FROZEN Standing Water is going to breed mosquitoes?

Give it maybe until October when nights up North get into the 40's. Fear of MOSQUITOES? I would be willing to bet that even Georgia nights can get into the 40's if Florida's do in Winter.

This is going to fade from the public minds when the Fall Leaves start turning and Falling. Sorry, you "health professionals" promoting fear and more vaccines.

This is why the Big Pharms are not rushing for a Zika vaccine. Not enough of the general public fear it or would want it. "I am not pregnant, not trying, want to be, or can't be". "My already born children or I am not going to DIE from Zika".

Old 08-17-2016, 02:57 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Um, no. You insist that MSM is talking about other possibilities besides Zika and I said you'd have to show me that because I haven't seen anything like that. Obviously, you can't.

Lol. Thanks, but I'll treat myself for my own infections rather than let more vaccines be put into my body.

What a really naive thought process. If you think pesticides aren't harming people, then you're mistaken.

The effect of glyphosate on potential pathogens and beneficial members of poultry microbiota in vitro. - PubMed - NCBI

Pesticide Exposure and Depression Among Agricultural Workers in France

Low-level pesticide exposure linked to Parkinson's disease - Medical News Today

Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and occupational exposure to agricultural pesticide chemical groups and active ingredients: a systematic review and meta-analy... - PubMed - NCBI

IJERPH | Free Full-Text | Glyphosate, Hard Water and Nephrotoxic Metals: Are They the Culprits Behind the Epidemic of Chronic Kidney Disease of Unknown Etiology in Sri Lanka?

An acute exposure to glyphosate-based herbicide alters aromatase levels in testis and sperm nuclear quality

Your Grandmother's Pesticide Exposure Could Be Making You Obese

Pesticide exposure during pregnancy linked to autism | Fox News

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/argen...grochemicals-2

Latin American Herald Tribune - Herbicide Used in Argentina Could Cause Birth Defects

http://omicsonline.org/open-access/d...25.1000230.pdf

Pesticide use and incident diabetes among wives of farmers in the Agricultural Health Study -- Starling et al. -- Occupational and Environmental Medicine

GMO Seralini – Roundup is toxic to the heart

http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journa...%2970134-8.pdf

Genetic damage in soybean workers exposed to pesticides: Evaluation with the comet and buccal micronucleus cytome assays

Fruit and vegetable intake and their pesticide residues in relation to semen quality among men from a fertility clinic

Again, naive (at best). When I (and most everyone) speak of "GMOs", I am talking about the modern lab-created ones that combine different species into one organism. That is NOT the same as the selective breeding we've been doing for centuries.

I haven't said anything outrageous so what do you think you're challenging? My opinion that zika itself isn't the only problem?
Naled is banned in the European Union. Puerto Rico refused to accept US shipments of Naled because it can cause birth defects. So they are going to spray something that can cause birth defects to PREVENT birth defects???? They are using that here in Florida and people in Miami are protesting that. Yet, we hear people here calling for using DDT, which did cause birth defects and why it was banned? It was not only due to the harm caused to animal population. Puerto Rico is using an herbicide to kill larvae.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:28 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
I have never said that Zika is the only cause of microcephaly. Please provide a link to any post I have made that says that.

Quote:
Thanks, but I'll treat myself for my own infections rather than let more vaccines be put into my body.
There's a Nobel prize waiting for you if you can provide a treatment that will prevent Zika infections from causing birth defects. That is the main issue with the disease. Otherwise it most often requires no treatment at all, so whatever "alternative" stuff you want to use is fine. Zika will go away no matter what you do. If you catch it while you are pregnant, there is nothing that can be done.

Quote:
What I said was, "Pesticides make foods plentiful. While I would not dine on them, properly used on crops they are not dangerous."

The key phrase is "properly used".

You can post all the links you want to.

Quote:
Fundamentally it is. It is also done by Mother Nature without human intervention. Did you know that viruses can insert their nucleic acids into human cells?

Quote:
Why don't we start with your belief that you have diagnosed "cancer" in yourself using an HCG test? Promoting the discredited Gonzalez treatment for cancer?

The connection between Zika and birth defects is no longer doubted by people with expertise in virology.

MMS: Error

Quote:
The operative word there being "can" (cause birth defects). It doesn't always. That's not to say that pregnant women shouldn't guard against mosquito bites, in general
The risk that a woman infected with Zika will have an affected baby is significant. Some babies may escape being damaged, but there is no way to tell which pregnancy will be affected and which will not.

Quote:
Like I've been saying, we should be looking at other causes for the recent outbreak of birth defects.
The experts who have examined these babies have done just that, including looking for other infections and ruling out genetic causes.

MMS: Error

Quote:
Oh, and about that new vaccine people are crying for....that might not be such a good idea.

Contrary dengue vaccine response hints at possible problems with Zika | CIDRAP
I do not think you read the article in your link.

“'We haven't seen ADE in vaccines,' said Fauci. 'I'm not playing it down, I’m aware of it. But I don't think ADE will be a prohibitive problem in Zika vaccines.'"

Another person is quoted as saying both dengue and Zika vaccines are needed.

Also from CIDRAP:

NIAID: Zika is caused by 1 serotype | CIDRAP

A vaccine containing one strain protects against other strains, unlike the dengue vaccine.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:56 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events