Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 08:20 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,292,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
Yes, but only in a small percentage.

Um...you really think the doctors down there haven't been running batteries of tests on babies born with those kinds of defects? Lol. Hate to break it to you, but many South American countries have very good medical doctors and technology. I'm going to guess that they've been testing for all sorts of infections in those types of babies. The fact is that the problem has exploded in the last couple years, whereas there weren't that many cases (relatively speaking) in the last several decades. *Something* is going on other than Zika.

Maybe the Pyriproxyfen product contains some other "inert" ingredient that's causing problems. Maybe something's triggering it in the environment. Maybe it really does have something to do with the GM-mosquitoes released down there. Maybe it's not related to mosquitoes at all and has more to do with the chemicals used heavily in their agricultural system down there. Who knows? This huge increase in birth defects cannot be attributed to Zika alone. There's absolutely no evidence indicating that it is. I guess we'll have to wait for that scenario that I've written out a couple times about the pregnant FL woman, eh?
No, I meant that the correlation between Zika and birth defects is a recent finding. That does not mean that Zika was not causing birth defects before. The scientists just did not look for it.

Zika has been shown to be causative by virtue of an accumulated body of evidence, including finding the virus in children with defects.

Perhaps you missed this:

CDC Concludes Zika Causes Microcephaly and Other Birth Defects | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

"Scientists at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have concluded, after careful review of existing evidence, that Zika virus is a cause of microcephaly and other severe fetal brain defects. In the report published in the New England Journal of Medicine, the CDC authors describe a rigorous weighing of evidence using established scientific criteria.

'This study marks a turning point in the Zika outbreak. It is now clear that the virus causes microcephaly. We are also launching further studies to determine whether children who have microcephaly born to mothers infected by the Zika virus is the tip of the iceberg of what we could see in damaging effects on the brain and other developmental problems,' said Tom Frieden, M.D., M.P.H., director of the CDC. 'We’ve now confirmed what mounting evidence has suggested, affirming our early guidance to pregnant women and their partners to take steps to avoid Zika infection and to health care professionals who are talking to patients every day. We are working to do everything possible to protect the American public.'”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 10:41 PM

706 posts, read 758,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, I meant that the correlation between Zika and birth defects is a recent finding. That does not mean that Zika was not causing birth defects before. The scientists just did not look for it.
I'm pretty sure that this is just your opinion. What proof do you have that medical doctors in SA weren't screening for infections when they came across a baby with birth defects?

Quote:
Zika has been shown to be causative by virtue of an accumulated body of evidence, including finding the virus in children with defects.

Perhaps you missed this:

CDC Concludes Zika Causes Microcephaly and Other Birth Defects | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

"Scientists at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have concluded, after careful review of existing evidence, that Zika virus is a cause of microcephaly and other severe fetal brain defects. In the report published in the New England Journal of Medicine, the CDC authors describe a rigorous weighing of evidence using established scientific criteria.

'This study marks a turning point in the Zika outbreak. It is now clear that the virus causes microcephaly. We are also launching further studies to determine whether children who have microcephaly born to mothers infected by the Zika virus is the tip of the iceberg of what we could see in damaging effects on the brain and other developmental problems,' said Tom Frieden, M.D., M.P.H., director of the CDC. 'We’ve now confirmed what mounting evidence has suggested, affirming our early guidance to pregnant women and their partners to take steps to avoid Zika infection and to health care professionals who are talking to patients every day. We are working to do everything possible to protect the American public.'”
They were *not* looking at all of the data. They were *not* looking at other causative factors. The fact is that only a very small percentage of the children with microcephaly screened positive for Zika. How do you explain that?

There's no doubt in my mind that mosquitoes are a problem. I just don't happen to think that lacing drinking water with Pyriproxyfen, or creating GM-mosquitoes is going to solve the problem. Why don't we work on prevention? How about we bring those people out of poverty and the conditions which contribute to infectious diseases? I guess that would be too simple for the elite to wrap their heads around...

Old 08-05-2016, 04:38 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
The mosquito is just the darn carrier-- the virus, like any other--mutate - this particular squito just happens to like this virus in its body- but I am sure it has mutated from times past- it be weird if it did not-as it is mobile from different environments. I believe I heard some soldiers also infected, now including a preg soldier (41)?
Our g-sons 1/2 bro just came from Africa- he was deployed there from Italy- I will ask him today, whats he has heard over there.

41 US service members, 1 pregnant woman, have contracted Zika overseas | Fox News

Old 08-05-2016, 09:31 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
More unchecked immigration!

Old 08-05-2016, 10:13 AM

261 posts, read 307,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And what is Congress doing? Recess.
Congress had already shot down legislation that would have funded the CDC and NHI to research cure/vaccine for Zika some time prior to their undeserved "recess". Unless significant political pressure exists or the proposal comes from the Right side of the house it is certain to be denied again when they resume session.

Work continues on a vaccine but at the cost of other projects and research being halted to shift funds from those to Zika.

Does our Congress ever get anything done?

Old 08-05-2016, 05:30 PM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times
They need to bring back DDT that is how they eradicated malaria in the US lot of people don't talk about how DDT saved Billions of people world wide from Malaria. The banning of it was based on Junk science. Once Zika starts turning out babies in the US with deformed heads DDT will be back. It's the only proven pesticide which works.

Zika virus: Is DDT an option? - CNN.com

Old 08-05-2016, 06:07 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
They need to bring back DDT that is how they eradicated malaria in the US lot of people don't talk about how DDT saved Billions of people world wide from Malaria. The banning of it was based on Junk science. Once Zika starts turning out babies in the US with deformed heads DDT will be back. It's the only proven pesticide which works.

Zika virus: Is DDT an option? - CNN.com
[ur

DDT in Pregnancy May Raise Breast Cancer Rates in Daughters - NBC News

This article was written long before Zika. "Cure" one problem, and cause another one? Take your pick.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:21 PM

13,277 posts, read 7,326,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
[ur

DDT in Pregnancy May Raise Breast Cancer Rates in Daughters - NBC News

This article was written long before Zika. "Cure" one problem, and cause another one? Take your pick.
Obviously right now it's just starting a few people in the US have zika DDT isn't really needed, but what if we see 1000+ babies a month turning out with birth defects then 10k babies a month being that 4 million babies are born each year in the us its very possible. No one is going to care about "Possibility" of cancer, when the country is in full panic mode.

Brazil so far has has 200 a week babies born with zika birth defects what do you think that will be like here in the US? How many Zika-infected infants will develop microcephaly and other FAQs | PBS NewsHour

Old 08-06-2016, 02:24 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
I expected the birth control / abortion debate to pick up because of Zika. Here's an article on MSN. Some of the descriptions of some of the birth defects attributed to Zika are downright gruesome.

Zika outbreak could reignite abortion debate

Old 08-06-2016, 02:42 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
I've read that DDT is still used (sparingly) in some countries. If it's used conservatively, I have no objections. Hopefully, it won't get that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events