Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 06:35 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times

Advertisements

Half the country doesn't have any sense of responsibility to protect others when it comes to the flu, and even more than that when it comes to Zika.

Nothing you can do about it. Cannot force people to get flu shots, or put on bug spray (how to know?), or wear long clothing.

Did you know that the spectators are jeering, "Zika, Zika" at the American Olympians"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 10:49 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,846 times
[quote=Metairie;45043779]Actually all this talk about congress is BS. It was the democrats in Senate that beat down the bill for funding because it didn't include money for free abortions. In addition Zika is pretty uneventful in most people. And as far as pregnancies go, its one;y a "causal" relationship (hence UNPROVEN!.) All this media is to create hype before the new vaccine hits the market to make millions.

Democrats block $1.1 billion Zika bill - CNNPolitics.com

Article about marketability of Zika Vax from Pharma standpoint.

Big Pharmas cautious on Zika vaccine development | FiercePharma[/QUOTE

Thank you. You speak the truth.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:01 PM

706 posts, read 758,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is impossible to test any baby for all infections. If a baby is suspected to have birth defects related to an infection, he will be tested for infections known to cause the defects seen in that child. Zika was not known to cause birth defects, so children with birth defects were not tested for Zika.
The region has had up to 75% infection rates in previous years. If it was going to cause a huge problem with birth defects, it would have done it by now. Something else is going on.

Quote:
The experts have reviewed all the available data. What makes you say they have not?

There are other things that can cause microcephaly, obviously. No one thinks Zika is the only cause.
Um, only all of main-stream media. Lol. That's the meme for the year.

Quote:
They are working on prevention: a vaccine*. But we could see lots of Zika babies before a vaccine is ready.
Why doesn't that statement surprise me? The modern answer to every problem--create a vaccine. LOL. Totally unreasonable and unacceptable.

Quote:
Getting rid of mosquitoes and avoidance of mosquito bites is prevention.

Cases are coming from all socioeconomic groups:

Birth defects and the Zika Virus: Infectious Questions 003

"And the reason I say that is a lot… the most recent evidence coming out of case control studies in Brazil, which have looked at women from a variety of areas that are pregnant, that has been infected with Zika virus, have also looked at groups of women from a variety of socio-economic classes to try to assist in teasing out whether this is a Zika effect or socio-economic or regional factors, have demonstrated that congenital defects will happen in all groups regardless of their socio-economic status, or the region of the country that they come from, or whether they come from slums versus more affluent areas. So that certainly points against there being alternate environmental factors."

Unless you are a mosquito larva, pyriproxyfen in drinking water is not going to harm you. Genetically modified mosquitoes cannot harm humans, and they have been effective in reducing mosquito populations.

*Protective efficacy of multiple vaccine platforms against Zika virus challenge in rhesus monkeys | Science

Zika vaccine has a good shot | Science

"5 Aug 2016:

Monkey studies of three different Zika vaccines showed that each one completely protected the animals from a "challenge" with the virus. The data suggest that it should not be difficult to stop Zika virus with a vaccine, and the first human trials of a candidate product began last week."
Just what we need in this world...more chemicals, more GMOs, and more vaccines.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:32 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post

I agree, but there are pregnant women in Miami who are afraid to go outside. Now there's a case in California. This isn't the same as Ebola where it's passed from one person to another. Mosquitoes are everywhere, especially in warm, humid areas. So far it's not an epidemic IMO, but only time will tell. I only know that I cried when I saw one of the affected babies so we can't just sit back and do nothing.

[URL="http://www.dailycal.org/2016/08/07/baby-zika-related-birth-defects-born-alameda-county/"]Baby with Zika-related birth defects born in Alameda County
[/URL]

Old 08-08-2016, 01:52 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree, but there are pregnant women in Miami who are afraid to go outside. Now there's a case in California. This isn't the same as Ebola where it's passed from one person to another. Mosquitoes are everywhere, especially in warm, humid areas. So far it's not an epidemic IMO, but only time will tell. I only know that I cried when I saw one of the affected babies so we can't just sit back and do nothing.

Baby with Zika-related birth defects born in Alameda County
The Miami area, or anywhere else in Florida, has not found ONE SINGLE LOCAL MOSQUITO infected with Zika. You don't find that a little bit suspicious?

Old 08-08-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Baby with Zika-related birth defects born in Alameda County
There is NO evidence that all these birth defects are being caused by Zika. Only a small percentage of the Brazilian babies are even infected with it. Something else is going on and all this fear-mongering in the MSM is just making people paranoid.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:40 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
The region has had up to 75% infection rates in previous years. If it was going to cause a huge problem with birth defects, it would have done it by now. Something else is going on.
We do not know that it did not cause birth defects in the past. Children with the defects were not tested for evidence of Zika infection because the people taking care of the children with those defects had no reason to suspect Zika. The connection between Zika and the defects has only been confirmed in the last few months. It is really not a difficult concept to understand. In addition, it appears that Brazil did not track microcephaly incidence very well in the past.

Zika and birth defects: what we know and what we don

Quote:
Um, only all of main-stream media. That's the meme for the year.
Um, no. Not even mainstream media is saying there are no other causes of microcephaly.

Quote:
The modern answer to every problem--create a vaccine. Totally unreasonable and unacceptable.
The modern answer to dangerous infections: prevention with a vaccine.

Only "unreasonable and unacceptable" to someone who lacks the faintest basic understanding of infectious diseases and vaccines.

Quote:
Your entire body is composed of chemicals. The air you breathe, the water you drink, the food you eat: all chemicals.

Man has been producing genetically modified organisms since the dawn of agriculture and animal husbandry. We can just do it more quickly now because of advances in the understanding of genetics.

Vaccines have prevented millions of serious illnesses and saved millions of lives worldwide. They are probably the greatest advance in medicine in all history.

Report shows 20-year US immunization program spares millions of children from diseases | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

From 1994 to 2013, just in the US:

"The CDC estimates that vaccinations will prevent more than 21 million hospitalizations and 732,000 deaths among children born in the last 20 years (see Benefits from Immunization during the Vaccines for Children Program Era — United States, 1994-2013, MMWR)."

Old 08-08-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
The Miami area, or anywhere else in Florida, has not found ONE SINGLE LOCAL MOSQUITO infected with Zika. You don't find that a little bit suspicious?
Why should it be suspicious? They have started monitoring so that if - and more likely, when - it appears they will know it.

As infected travelers return from areas where Zika is circulating eventually a local skeeter is going to bite one of them, who may never know he was infected.

The public health experts are being proactive, which is what we should all want them to be.

Quote:
There is NO evidence that all these birth defects are being caused by Zika. Only a small percentage of the Brazilian babies are even infected with it. Something else is going on and all this fear-mongering in the MSM is just making people paranoid.
No one is saying that Zika causes all birth defects except you. That Zika causes birth effects in some babies has now been confirmed. Why do you find that so hard to understand?

Old 08-08-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
No one is saying that Zika causes all birth defects except you. That Zika causes birth effects in some babies has now been confirmed. Why do you find that so hard to understand?
Lol. The MSM is all over this story, and they are NOT looking for other causes of the birth defects. Granted, I don't watch much news, so please show me MSM articles that are questioning the Zika connection.

Quote:
We do not know that it did not cause birth defects in the past. Children with the defects were not tested for evidence of Zika infection because the people taking care of the children with those defects had no reason to suspect Zika. The connection between Zika and the defects has only been confirmed in the last few months. It is really not a difficult concept to understand. In addition, it appears that Brazil did not track microcephaly incidence very well in the past.

Zika and birth defects: what we know and what we don
You do realize that this is now an "epidemic" of sorts, whereas there were relatively few babies born like this in the past several decades, don't you? Why has there been such a huge increase all of a sudden when Zika has been around so long?

Quote:
Um, no. Not even mainstream media is saying there are no other causes of microcephaly.
Again, please post MSM articles which are investigating other possibilities for this large increase in defects. I must have missed those.

Quote:
The modern answer to dangerous infections: prevention with a vaccine.

Only "unreasonable and unacceptable" to someone who lacks the faintest basic understanding of infectious diseases and vaccines.
LOL. Do you really think it's reasonable or acceptable to shoot up everyone with hundreds of vaccines--all in the name of "protecting us"? Please. If you had your way, I guess we'd be vaccinating for every single infectious illness...

Quote:
Your entire body is composed of chemicals. The air you breathe, the water you drink, the food you eat: all chemicals.
Our bodies are NOT composed of synthetic pesticides. What science class did you go to?

Quote:
Man has been producing genetically modified organisms since the dawn of agriculture and animal husbandry. We can just do it more quickly now because of advances in the understanding of genetics.
Oh yes, the biggest lie in the GM-field. We have NOT been genetically modifying plants, animals, and bugs in laboratories "since the dawn of agriculture".

Quote:
Vaccines have prevented millions of serious illnesses and saved millions of lives worldwide. They are probably the greatest advance in medicine in all history.

Report shows 20-year US immunization program spares millions of children from diseases | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

From 1994 to 2013, just in the US:

"The CDC estimates that vaccinations will prevent more than 21 million hospitalizations and 732,000 deaths among children born in the last 20 years (see Benefits from Immunization during the Vaccines for Children Program Era — United States, 1994-2013, MMWR)."
I'm not going to get into the vaccine debate with you here, as there would be little point. You and I will *NEVER* agree on *anything*, let alone something as complicated as vaccine safety, efficacy, and need.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
The MSM is all over this story, and they are NOT looking for other causes of the birth defects. Granted, I don't watch much news, so please show me MSM articles that are questioning the Zika connection.
If you do not watch MSM how do you know what the MSM is saying about Zika and malformations? You are the one that insists that the MSM is saying Zika causes all microcephaly. It's up to you to provide examples.

Quote:
You do realize that this is now an "epidemic" of sorts, whereas there were relatively few babies born like this in the past several decades, don't you? Why has there been such a huge increase all of a sudden when Zika has been around so long?
As I previously pointed out, with a link, reporting of microcephaly in Brazil in the past has been inadequate. They really do not know for sure how many cases there were in the past. In addition, they are now having more cases of Zika than in the past. That is what an epidemic is: more than the expected number of cases.

The other interesting thing is that when you start looking for something you start finding it.

Quote:
Again, please post MSM articles which are investigating other possibilities for this large increase in defects. I must have missed those.
Uh, uh. That's not the way it works. You said MSM is blaming all cases of microcephaly on Zika. It's up to you to support your position.

Quote:
Do you really think it's reasonable or acceptable to shoot up everyone with hundreds of vaccines--all in the name of "protecting us"? Please. If you had your way, I guess we'd be vaccinating for every single infectious illness.
There is no need to vaccinate for every infectious disease. Most are self limited and cause no lasting harm. I am grateful for the vaccines for diseases that used to maim and kill large numbers of people, and I must admit that one for the common cold would be nice.

Quote:
Our bodies are NOT composed of synthetic pesticides. What science class did you go to?
Note that my reply to you was based on your reference to "chemicals". You said nothing about pesticides in that post.

I have obviously taken a lot more science classes than you have, that's for sure. Made As in them, too, including chemistry.

Pesticides make foods plentiful. While I would not dine on them, properly used on crops they are not dangerous.

Quote:
Oh yes, the biggest lie in the GM-field. We have NOT been genetically modifying plants, animals, and bugs in laboratories "since the dawn of agriculture".
Virtually every fruit or vegetable you eat is the result of selective propagation in order to produce plants with desirable characteristics. The laboratory in the past was the field those plants were grown in.

Selective breeding has brought us the amazing variety of dogs and other domestic animals we have. They are all organisms genetically modified by man.

Quote:
I'm not going to get into the vaccine debate with you here, as there would be little point. You and I will *NEVER* agree on *anything*, let alone something as complicated as vaccine safety, efficacy, and need.
I am sure we will never agree. I will continue to challenge outrageous statements wherever I find them, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events