Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 02:56 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,930,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
80% of Zika infected have no symptoms at all. So who is that? Anyone bitten by a mosquito in South Florida? Can you imagine that???? Fortunately, most people here in South Florida are just shrugging it all off. I don't it is creating the panic like Ebola because unless you are pregnant, the symptoms are no greater than getting the flu at most.
Zika is suspected of causing Guillain-Barré syndrome, in which the body attacks its own nervous system, sometimes fatally. I wouldn't say Zika is exactly comparable to the common flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 03:39 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Zika is suspected of causing Guillain-Barré syndrome, in which the body attacks its own nervous system, sometimes fatally. I wouldn't say Zika is exactly comparable to the common flu.
GBS is very RARE, and mostly sick elderly. Go on the CDC and you will see that. 80% of healthy people infected with Zika have no symptoms at all, which will make it very difficult to test for it. BTW, go a Google search. Why are they testing the vaccine in CANADA? That is because they do not have massive populations who have already been infected with Zika. Testing in populations who have had Zika will do no good because they will have NATURAL IMMUNITY from previous infections. The only question they do not know is how long previous infection immunity lasts, like immunity for measles, mumps, chicken pox which is generally a lifetime. They do not know that with a Zika vaccine either.

Do you research on Science websites from around the world.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:50 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

Several viral and bacterial diseases have been linked to GBS. Its still exceedingly rare.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:55 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Gov't scientists should work on creating a gene mutation program that would result in a Zika Mosquito that would develop normally but without wings

There is no such thing as a Zika mosquito, its spread across multiple species.

Scientists are already working on modifying the genes of mosquitoes to make them unable to detect human scent, as well as modified male mosquitoes that would result in offspring that are unable to reproduce.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:47 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Having unfortunately lived in FL for a few years, it is a very reactive state when it comes to many issues.

It's the "land of a day late and a dollar short". I don't have too much faith they will do much at all.

They never do. Look at the situation with the beaches right now.
You can thank the "Tea Party" Governor in Skeletor Scott for this since he thinks the state of Florida doesn't need a "handout" from Obama !

Even in a medical crisis !

Let's not even start on the Algae blooms on the beaches when he allowed the lowering of Environmental restrictions 3 years ago that allowed Big Sugar to pollute the Aquifers south of Lake Okeechobee.
Now the bastard is asking Obama for Federal disaster relief!

Old 08-01-2016, 04:29 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
GBS is very RARE, and mostly sick elderly. Go on the CDC and you will see that. 80% of healthy people infected with Zika have no symptoms at all, which will make it very difficult to test for it. BTW, go a Google search. Why are they testing the vaccine in CANADA? That is because they do not have massive populations who have already been infected with Zika. Testing in populations who have had Zika will do no good because they will have NATURAL IMMUNITY from previous infections. The only question they do not know is how long previous infection immunity lasts, like immunity for measles, mumps, chicken pox which is generally a lifetime. They do not know that with a Zika vaccine either.

Not sure that GB is as rare as you might think. Maybe it is under-reported. The reason I say that is that I know someone who has it, and I was also contacted, at least twice, by radiologists who were trying to get our voice recognition technology to understand the term. There is no required reporting of the disorder, either. My area only has 2 million people in it.

Yes, that's anecdotal, but there it is.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:15 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,829 times
To me, this is all a pitfall of living in a wet, damp climate. I've got a long list of things I hate about humid damp climates that I know all of you are just sitting anxiously awaiting for me to reveal.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:44 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
To me, this is all a pitfall of living in a wet, damp climate. I've got a long list of things I hate about humid damp climates that I know all of you are just sitting anxiously awaiting for me to reveal.
Well the mosquito that carries the Zika virus lives in 30 US states so it's unavoidable.
Then you move up north & you have to deal with ticks that give you Lyme disaese.
Ugh! we humans can't escape bugs !

Old 08-01-2016, 06:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
You can thank the "Tea Party" Governor in Skeletor Scott for this since he thinks the state of Florida doesn't need a "handout" from Obama !

Even in a medical crisis !

Let's not even start on the Algae blooms on the beaches when he allowed the lowering of Environmental restrictions 3 years ago that allowed Big Sugar to pollute the Aquifers south of Lake Okeechobee.
Now the bastard is asking Obama for Federal disaster relief!
Well that's what I mean. I have lived in 5 states(mostly CA), I never saw anything like Floriduh.

A month wouldn't go by where a carload of teens were killed late at night and speeding. FL allows teens to have as many passengers as they want. Yet every time this would happens you would fake flower on the side of the road, no mention of ever changing the law. Other states raised the driving age, and limited the number of passengers, including having one over 21. That's too logical for FL.

In FL you can shoot off a gun in your backyard, no regard or concern when you have people doing this in homes that are in very close proximity to one another.

They would do "controlled burns" that got out of control, which ended up killing some drivers on the I-4 outside of Orlando a few years back, the smoke was so bad drivers were running into each other.

You get the picture. They allowed the Algae blooms to occur. I have NO FAITH that anyone in that state will get a handle on this either. They will need outside help, and the sooner the better.

I called it "the land of the reactive, never the proactive".

Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
What is happening in Florida now with the blood banks? I think the government isn't disclosing everything they know but those who traveled to zika infected areas are banned from donating blood. Not sure if this is just Florida or country wide at this time.
I recently donated here in GA and there were Zika questions asked.

Quote:
Is Florida doing to declare a Pandemic going door to door demanding blood tests of 18 millions people to try to determine who is carrier and who isn't when 80% show no symptoms at all?
No.

Quote:
80% of Zika infected have no symptoms at all. So who is that? Anyone bitten by a mosquito in South Florida? Can you imagine that???? Fortunately, most people here in South Florida are just shrugging it all off. I don't it is creating the panic like Ebola because unless you are pregnant, the symptoms are no greater than getting the flu at most.
It has killed some adults, too.

Quote:
Yesterday driving to the supermarket I saw someone spraying down a sewer off the side of the road. Never thought of that one. Given the rainy season now, are they doing that every day? No wonder they want billions of dollars.

Can you imagine all the standing water there is in the Everglades during Rainy Season? The Snowbirds are packed up and gone now where I live. Who is going to monitor standing water on their property in a gated community?

Standing water is everywhere in Florida during Rainy Season. Impossible to monitor and remove it all.
No, but they will be trying to reduce the number of mosquitoes near areas of higher population. Have you done your share to make sure there are no containers in your yard that can breed mosquitoes?

Quote:

Early testing is for safety, not efficacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events