Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:30 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Because of situations exactly like this case. This is not the first time something like this has happened to a homeschooled child. Schools are often the only safeguard to uncovering child abuse.

There is no testing required for homeschooled children in most states. Allowing parents who may or may not be educated themselves to take responsibility for providing education to their children, without even proving that they are competent to provide that education is child abuse. Even without this type of abuse, many of these children get dumped on society without having a proper education, as is required by law. That is child abuse IMHO.

Without proper testing of the children, and certification of the parents, there is no guarantee that the children are getting an education as required by law. Without the children being required to attend school at least occasionally there is no guarantee that they are not being abused.
And what about the THOUSANDS of children who are in public and private school? Nothing is done for them either. They're around teachers, students, coaches, nurses, counselors, and administrators 5 days a week 10 months a year.

In my state, ALL homeschool children are required by state law to take the standardized tests and the Regents exams.

Homeschooled children don't just sit at home 24/7. They're in homeschool groups. They do a number of activities at local libraries. Many still play youth league sports. The high schoolers frequently have private tutors. Many have private music lessons, take martial arts, participate in scouts, etc. Seriously, they are very well rounded. They get out and see the world and how it relates to their studies.

Children are CONSTANTLY pushed through public schools without basic skills including reading, comprehensive, basic math, etc. Where's your outrage over this?

There's ZERO guarantee that any child in public school, private school, or homeschool will or won't be abused.

You really don't know much about homeschooling! Quite appalling what you believe about child abuse as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 10:37 AM

173 posts, read 111,369 times
I am in no way for abortion, if conceived child should be born.
But, shouldn't this story be thrown on the presidential desk every morning for as long as his presidency last.
This proves that adoption in many instances is nothing but someone's business.
Either adoptive/foster parent get government money for doing job as this couple did, or they don't want to work but keep milking the certain accounts for someone wasn't making right decision at the time of conceiving.
Or, trafficking is the worst, but unfortunately it happens world wide as well.
God only knows what purpose s/he had for this girl, but us ordinary mortals now see that she was better being never born.
Orphan houses built and run by Government (our tax money) and situated in Police station neighborhood are in my own opinion the best choice, although some third party has to be observing it so no children become source for scientific/medical experiments.
No luck in this country, since we are so "poor country", and altruism is considered a sin.

Last edited by toosie; 03-19-2017 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: TOS - profanity or trying to bypass filter

Old 03-19-2017, 10:48 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Homeschooling needs to be made illegal. At least full time homeschooling. It's nothing but child abuse. At very least kids should be required to go to school one day a week to be tested to make sure they are learning required subject matter, and checked out to make sure they are doing well, as well as to socialize with other kids. The parents should be required to have a teaching certificate.
No. No. Because in spite of the fact that liberals would like the government to control every aspect of our lives, children do NOT belong to the state.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:33 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51squirrel33 View Post
This proves that adoption in many instances is nothing but someone's business.
Either adoptive/foster parent get government money for doing job as this couple did, or they don't want to work but keep milking the certain accounts for someone wasn't making right decision at the time of conceiving.
Yep that's right. Adoptive parents are only in it for the money.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:40 PM

25,952 posts, read 22,102,658 times
In it for the money? Hey, we got ripped off. Where did our money go? Well, we did get an extra tax exemption but it cost a wee bite more than that to actually raise a child.

There is a shortage of foster homes. I have no idea why these people were allowed to adopt. This article talks a lot more about the story as do the links, I have not read it all yet: Watchdog: Starved teen's death likely to trigger scrutiny of changes to Iowa's child welfare law

Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 PM

389 posts, read 330,173 times
The ignorance in this thread is almost laughable. For those who are low on the learning curve :

1. People are not paid to adopt. On the contrary it's quite an expensive, time consuming, rigorous process.
While some people may have kids for the wrong reason's it's very doubtful anyone adopts for the wrong reasons.

2. Adoptive parents are making a planned choice. No accidents or unplanned pregnancies. They are ready to be parents, both financially and emotionally. For that reason adoptive parents provide some of the most stable households you will find.

3. By far more kids are abused and neglected by biological parents than by adoptive parents.

This case is indeed terrible but extremely rare with adoptive families.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:44 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,443,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Only if someone approaches it from an ignorant and emotional perspective. If one approaches it from a rational and informed standpoint, no.
So..you don't believe in evil? All the horrible things that happen are a result of some 'mental illness or defect'?

As a man who prides himself on being both rational and informed..I've a few things to say:

1) Your characterization of people being 'ignorant and emotional' because they approach this issue with the idea that true evil exists in the world--is condescending, IMO. For you to assume that your viewpoint is both informed and rational, without any real proof, belies your contention.

2) In my experience, some people choose to do horrible things..knowingly. They are otherwise sane, by any rubric you can name. People bring up Hitler a lot--but I would point to Bormann, and his implementation of the 'final' solution--or Hess. They were not insane.. not as we define it--they directed and perpetrated evil acts--to further their ends.

3) Evil...has this religious connotation that incites immediate rejection, in many people. To me..evil is the deliberate choice to do great harm while aware of the consequences of your actions.

Was this particular event evil, by that definition? I don't know.

I do know..that terming people who hold perspectives that differ from our own...'ignorant and emotional'...does not add to the search for a solution. IMO..of course.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,443,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
The ignorance in this thread is almost laughable. For those who are low on the learning curve :

1. People are not paid to adopt. On the contrary it's quite an expensive, time consuming, rigorous process.
While some people may have kids for the wrong reason's it's very doubtful anyone adopts for the wrong reasons.

2. Adoptive parents are making a planned choice. No accidents or unplanned pregnancies. They are ready to be parents, both financially and emotionally. For that reason adoptive parents provide some of the most stable households you will find.

3. By far more kids are abused and neglected by biological parents than by adoptive parents.

This case is indeed terrible but extremely rare with adoptive families.
I think that a number of posters are conflating adoption with the foster parent system.
Statistically, adopted children are less likely to be abused.

The foster parent system, sadly, cannot say the same. Their are many cases of physical and sexual abuse traced back to foster parents.
Incidents of 'Child farming'--people in it just for the money...are all to common, in many States.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:48 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There must be mental illness present on the part of the parents for this to have occurred. They even nailed the bedroom window shut from the outside, so the kids couldn't get out for food or help. One way or another, both parents (now divorced) should be institutionalized; whether in prison or in a mental hospital, if they still have ones for long-term patients.
Institutionalize? How about executed immediately so the good people of Iowa don't have to pay to feed those lowlife people?

Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
One of my (brilliant) coworkers and her 4 siblings were homeschooled. All professionals and 2 went to Harvard. From a poor white, religious household.

Right now I have several physician colleagues homeschooling their kids. One of them teaches civ/history to her kid and then they fly to that country and experience the culture, go to museums/historical sites, eat the food, etc.

By the way, going to school every day didn't stop my friend from having the crap beat out of her by her dad.
Yeah, I'm sure that is typical of most poor white homeschool children to get flown around the world to experience the culture of different countries. Thanks for bringing up a man bites dog situation.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 03-19-2017 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events