Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 06:39 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
And what about the THOUSANDS of children who are in public and private school? Nothing is done for them either. They're around teachers, students, coaches, nurses, counselors, and administrators 5 days a week 10 months a year.

In my state, ALL homeschool children are required by state law to take the standardized tests and the Regents exams.

Homeschooled children don't just sit at home 24/7. They're in homeschool groups. They do a number of activities at local libraries. Many still play youth league sports. The high schoolers frequently have private tutors. Many have private music lessons, take martial arts, participate in scouts, etc. Seriously, they are very well rounded. They get out and see the world and how it relates to their studies.

Children are CONSTANTLY pushed through public schools without basic skills including reading, comprehensive, basic math, etc. Where's your outrage over this?

There's ZERO guarantee that any child in public school, private school, or homeschool will or won't be abused.

You really don't know much about homeschooling! Quite appalling what you believe about child abuse as well.
Can you give me one example of a child who was starved to death, while regularly attending school? I don't think you can. I believe school employees are trained to spot abuse like that, or they should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:41 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Can you give me one example of a child who was starved to death, while regularly attending school? I don't think you can. I believe school employees are trained to spot abuse like that, or they should be.
Yup. 20 years working with kids, I completely agree...

Moderator cut: .

Last edited by toosie; 04-06-2017 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Leave partisan politics for other fora please

Old 03-19-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No. No. Because in spite of the fact that liberals would like the government to control every aspect of our lives, children do NOT belong to the state.
No they don't belong to the state. But the state has an obligation to make sure the children, as US citizens are not abused by anyone, including their parents.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51squirrel33 View Post
I am in no way for abortion, if conceived child should be born.
But, shouldn't this story be thrown on the presidential desk every morning for as long as his presidency last.
This proves that adoption in many instances is nothing but someone's business.
Either adoptive/foster parent get government money for doing job as this couple did, or they don't want to work but keep milking the certain accounts for someone wasn't making right decision at the time of conceiving.
Or, trafficking is the worst, but unfortunately it happens world wide as well.
God only knows what purpose s/he had for this girl, but us ordinary mortals now see that she was better being never born.
Orphan houses built and run by Government (our tax money) and situated in Police station neighborhood are in my own opinion the best choice, although some third party has to be observing it so no children become source for scientific/medical experiments.
No luck in this country, since we are so "poor country", and altruism is considered a sin.
Seriously? Orphanages are gone for a reason! Government run orphanages were HORRIFIC! Look at them in other countries - they're STILL HORRIFIC! Those poor children were abused constantly! They were hungry, thirsty, and dirty as well. Police have a job to do and it's not babysitting!

I know of a woman who was a foster mom for years. It took her family 3 YEARS to be finalize their adoption. 3 YEARS! In it for the money? I don't know what you're smoking, but having the foster kids COST her money! Yes there is a SMALL government subsidy, but these kids arrived with literally a handful of clothes that weren't in great shape. She spent over 3 years taking care of them including new clothing, food, school supplies, school activities, etc. She adopted ALL 3 children because she did NOT want their family torn apart anymore than they had been.

Here you are ragging on adoptive parents, but what about the biological parents of these kids? The junkies are off the hook! Taxpayers had take care of their children. You're giving the biological parents a free pass. There's no way to know the true psychological damage to these poor kids either....things that will haunt them the rest of their lives.

ETA: I have a friend who adopted 2 children from China many years ago. They're both disabled....very minor disabilities - so minor that you'd never know without being told. They were throw away children in China. They lived in a HORRIBLE orphanage. In it for the money? She spent over $20,000 of her own money adopting each child! So how is she and others like her in it for the money? Then there were the surgeries that the children needed and got here in the States. Guess who paid for those! She did! No government agency paid. No taxpayers paid. In it for the money my *****.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Have you heard of Google? Maybe you should use it!

The system fails kids every single day. Until you've been through the system you have no idea what it's like. unfortunately, I spent about half my childhood in the system.

School employees can report abuse all day long. That does NOT mean a damn thing is done about it! Ask how I know! Because it happened to me!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:04 AM

Quote:

The system fails kids every single day. Until you've been through the system you have no idea what it's like. unfortunately, I spent about half my childhood in the system.

School employees can report abuse all day long. That does NOT mean a damn thing is done about it! Ask how I know! Because it happened to me!
Google results for it are negative. All the cases I can find of children being starved to death, the children were not attending school. If you think you have better Google skills then me, then I would still like to hear of a case of a child attending school ever starving to death.

If we follow the compulsory education laws that have been in effect for over one hundred years, and if we require pre-school children to get regular medical checkups, this type of tragedy could never happen.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:45 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
You are the one making the claim. It is not unreasonable for others to ask you to provide facts behind your claims. It is unreasonable for you to respond with "look it up yourself".

You claimed it, so you look it up.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I don't think there should be different standards for monitoring the welfare of biological and adoptive children UNLESS the adopted child is older than an infant when placed in the adoptive home.

I am an adoptive parent of two children (ages 4 and 6 when adopted), and the older, especially, had severe emotional and behavioral problems. Believe me, there were times when I felt pushed to the edge of endurance by her (she is now 25, and we have a good relationship now, btw), and I would have LOVED to have "check-up calls" by a social worker throughout her life with us; I think about every six months or once a year would have been just about right. Thank goodness I could vent to her therapist and my husband!

If people want to do right by their kids, whether biological, adopted or foster, I don't see how they can resent an experienced and well-meaning professional (teacher, doctor, minister, etc.) or even a neighbor occasionally asking if everything is all right.

However, all that being said, it is a very rigorous process to being approved to being an adoptive parent -- or at least it is in Colorado, where I live. I truly wonder how the adoptive parents in the case were permitted to adopt, and how long ago it was.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
That poor baby.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
No they don't belong to the state. But the state has an obligation to make sure the children, as US citizens are not abused by anyone, including their parents.
Of course they do. But mandatory, regular house checks are beyond that "obligation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events