Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:19 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Have you heard of Google? Maybe you should use it!

The system fails kids every single day. Until you've been through the system you have no idea what it's like. unfortunately, I spent about half my childhood in the system.

School employees can report abuse all day long. That does NOT mean a damn thing is done about it! Ask how I know! Because it happened to me!
Actually, since you made the claim, the onus is on you to bring forth the facts.

Yes, children are abused, in and out of the "system". Do children die all the time from starvation? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that is typical of most poor white homeschool children to get flown around the world to experience the culture of different countries. Thanks for bringing up a man bites dog situation.
Are you familiar with the People to People program? Demographics plays no part in selection. My son was selected to participate.

I've known lots of homeschooled kids who are now well-rounded productive adults

Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There must be mental illness present on the part of the parents for this to have occurred. They even nailed the bedroom window shut from the outside, so the kids couldn't get out for food or help. One way or another, both parents (now divorced) should be institutionalized; whether in prison or in a mental hospital, if they still have ones for long-term patients.
That's not mental illness. That's cruelty.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:00 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
I could not bring myself to read this story as I lived through the time of "Adopted girl dies after life in most horrific circumstances imaginable" in the 1980's. I am talking about 6 year old Lisa Steinberg. Broke my heart , and has stayed with me all these years as my daughter was close in age to her. Made the national media/news big time. There is a People magazine with her on the cover.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 PM

658 posts, read 847,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Isn't "mental illness" just a convenient excuse to downplay how inherently bad/evil people can be? "Oh, Hitler hated Jews, but he was just mentally ill" "Oh, Stalin loved having anyone he didn't like killed, he was just mentally ill" "Oh, Pol Pot had anyone he didn't like fit his vision massacred, he was just mental ill" etc. etc.?
Nail on the head. The mental illness excuse tends to absolve one from their wrongdoings and even garners sympathy from others. I think people throw it around too because they have a hard time believing so many people are inherently evil. When someone hears of someone committing a heinous crime, people have a hard time accepting that people can do this in their right mind.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:35 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
There have been too many of these types of cases lately, unfortunately. Here in PA it was the Grace Packer situation, there was the one out in Chicago, and quite a few others. Sad.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:07 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
I don't know how these types of people are approved for adoption.

I have friends who were on waiting lists for many years and some of them had to give up.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:27 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I could not bring myself to read this story as I lived through the time of "Adopted girl dies after life in most horrific circumstances imaginable" in the 1980's. I am talking about 6 year old Lisa Steinberg. Broke my heart , and has stayed with me all these years as my daughter was close in age to her. Made the national media/news big time. There is a People magazine with her on the cover.
Yes indeed. As heartbreaking as these stories are today, they are (unfortunately) nothing new. There was a pretty bad one way back in the 70's (IIRC) that is quite similar to this one. The young girls name was Silvia Likens, and she suffered terribly at her mother's hands. Makes normal people sick to their stomach to read about these cases, and I fear we haven't seen the last of them.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do people get approved for adoption? How could the couple get approved for the youngest child (4 yrs old at the time of the kids' discovery) after years of severely neglecting the older two? There had been a history of chronic absences from school, it said.
People who want to adopt -pay out the wazoo. I never get these cases, but when I retire I decided to take up the ad litem program. I know that's an area needs volunteers. Sad and horrific .

Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Why adopt when you don't care to to take care? This goes for children and pets?

Some people are just pure eveil, no personality disorder or mental illness to be used as a cover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events