Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:40 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Well, please tell me how to send to you, a package of Oreos, a jar of Miracle Whip way before its expiration date that looked funny & made us sick, Chicken of the Sea tuna, same issue, Tyson boneless/skinless chicken breasts & thighs that shrank to nothing after cooking, moldy Dave's Killer bread, produce that appeared fresh from the outside but was rotting from the inside (onions, bananas, avocados) some women's Hane's underpants that fell apart after first washing, Hanes sweatshirts that shrank from the bottom & stretched out in the neckline & cuffs after first washing.

Trust me, I'm no "I hate Walmart just because I can" individual. I just want to get my money's worth.
I'm not interested in your anecdotal information. Perhaps you don't know how to handle food properly in some of those instances. Perhaps you didn't follow wash recommendations by the manufacturer on another. Further, do you think you don't occasionally find moldy bread and other defective products in top line grocery stores or clothing stores? Because I have.

By evidence, I mean show us some stats or articles published in reputable magazines or newspapers about the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 12:27 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Fresh Thyme sounds interesting, but no locations in CA. Nor east coast (for kicks and giggles).
While I can see myself going back to Whole Foods (big attraction being their hot foods bar/buffet), most other times, I just do Trader Joes. Even though the latter closes at 9pm vs. 10pm, they do have more locations, and their price-to-value ratio is superior.
Also, on a related note, I was shocked to learn years ago that even Detroit got a WF, and that's after they hot their slump!

Was curious about what folks here like about WF that's more unique to that store, and ended up making a new thread here....
http://www.city-data.com/forum/food-...ole-foods.html

Whole Foods as a company has never turned a profit. They were prime pickin's for a take over.

Fresh Thyme is gaining traction and would give WF a run for their money. FT was started by Mejiers out of Michigan because they wanted in the business and their stores don't come close to that experience.

SuperValu has Wild Harvest as a private brand and should be tried if Organic or Free From products are your thing.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:31 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,529,408 times
By the way, it's the Millennials that will eat this up once Amazon figures out the Logistics of the Grocery Business. The lazy generation, the generation of apps.

The rest of us will drag our tired selves out of the house to shop in an actual grocery store.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:16 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
Now, all they have to do is buy 50,000 or so delivery trucks and create a software system and associated processes that can operate in real time from order to delivery. The ordering system will be inefficient in that it can not hope to match the selection behavior of customers in a real supermarket. You know, looking at all the labels on all the bottles of XYZ that conform to your requirements. I think they will lose a lot of Whole Foods business, as well as having to spend a ton of money to get the business to work for the rest of the customers.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:42 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Now, all they have to do is buy 50,000 or so delivery trucks and create a software system and associated processes that can operate in real time from order to delivery. The ordering system will be inefficient in that it can not hope to match the selection behavior of customers in a real supermarket. You know, looking at all the labels on all the bottles of XYZ that conform to your requirements. I think they will lose a lot of Whole Foods business, as well as having to spend a ton of money to get the business to work for the rest of the customers.
IMO, most customers who use the grocery delivery service will already know exactly what products/brands they "need", thus eliminating the actual browsing equation. Remember, grocery delivery will cater to people who value the convenience of shopping without the hassle of driving to the store, browsing, standing in the checkout line, rude customers, rude cashiers, etc... I say give it a chance.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times
Takeaway: There will always be brick-and-mortar because some people have more time than money.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:32 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,525,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not interested in your anecdotal information. Perhaps you don't know how to handle food properly in some of those instances. Perhaps you didn't follow wash recommendations by the manufacturer on another. Further, do you think you don't occasionally find moldy bread and other defective products in top line grocery stores or clothing stores? Because I have.

By evidence, I mean show us some stats or articles published in reputable magazines or newspapers about the issue.

My goodness, thank you for insulting my competence! And, so sorry about my "anecdotal information". Excuse me while I return to college for my PhD in order to qualify to post on this forum!

You be sure to enjoy your adventures at Wally-World!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:17 PM

72 posts, read 126,367 times
When John Mackey's ego pushed him into buying Wild Oats, due to his longstanding feud with Mike Gilliland, his company ended up choking on the purchase, while he was also expanding too fast.
As sharp as John was, he apparently didn't realize that the recovery never happened and the current poor 'same store sales' is the result.
His targeted customer base has been shrinking for years, and he's been too slow to adjust to a clientele that has less to spend.
This deal with Amazon must have been a life saver for him and the rest of the WF stockholders.
From the positive reactions of some of the WF employees locally, it would appear they have no idea what's in store for them once Bezos puts the screws down.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:32 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Tirebiter View Post
When John Mackey's ego pushed him into buying Wild Oats, due to his longstanding feud with Mike Gilliland, his company ended up choking on the purchase, while he was also expanding too fast.
As sharp as John was, he apparently didn't realize that the recovery never happened and the current poor 'same store sales' is the result.
His targeted customer base has been shrinking for years, and he's been too slow to adjust to a clientele that has less to spend.
This deal with Amazon must have been a life saver for him and the rest of the WF stockholders.
From the positive reactions of some of the WF employees locally, it would appear they have no idea what's in store for them once Bezos puts the screws down.
This! So, what do you think Amazon will do?

It's curious; in my town, the Wild Oats they acquired was just a few blocks from the main WF store. Yet, the smaller store was always packed, pretty much at all hours, after WF took it over. It was actually in a better location, more in the heart of a residential area, vs. the main store, which was on the edge of a commercial neighborhood. There are rumors now, that Wild Oats may return to that location. Would be interesting to see how they do there, if the rumors pan out.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:31 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
After Whole Foods acquired Wild Oats, it ended up with more stores than it could handle. In my town, the Wild Oats location was only a couple of blocks from the main WF store. Although the new location did get a good bit of business, recently they closed it. I think the chain is sloughing off quite a few of those former Wild Oats stores.

I've also noticed lately that their prices with certain goods have taken a significant jump. I don't shop there much, anymore. I can get the same items for much cheaper at other stores in town. Even our co-op, which used to be the most expensive store in town, sells things $1-$2 cheaper than Whole Foods; items like an 8-oz. packet of cheese, a half-gallon of organic milk, are that much cheaper.
I sure wonder if you're referring to Evanston, IL? Since briefly, Evanston had THREE Whole Foods stores. Which was 1 in south Evanston(this was the former Wild Oats store), 1 in downtown Evanston(the very first Whole Foods built there), and a few years ago another new store was built in north Evanston(on Green Bay Road). What I feel made some kind of impact on the south Evanston store(besides it being a very small store that was never expanded, back from the days it was Wild Oats), was a new Whole Foods in the northern Chicago neighborhood of Edgewater opening up. I wouldn't be surprised if those 2 moves, but moreso the Edgewater store opening doomed the south Evanston store. Since I think it's likely some people in Rogers Park(the Chicago neighborhood between there and Evanston's southern border) stopped going to the south Evanston store(ex-Wild Oats), once the Edgewater Whole Foods opened up.

I have no doubt that Whole Foods has overexpanded, in some areas. They probably still will have to close some more underperforming stores or at least ones that are close nearby, and sometimes I wonder if the downtown Evanston store might face that fate someday? With the greater amount of amenities the northern Evanston(Green Bay Road) store offers vs. downtown Evanston, I wouldn't be surprised if WF decided to do that someday. Yep for sure when they acquired Wild Oats, they did start to have a ton of locations to deal with. And perhaps a little more stores, than WF could handle. Not sure how Amazon buying out WF, will affect them. I like shopping at WF sometimes, plus their in store bars are nice for their craft beer selection. That said, the prices(unless they have an unusually good sale on something grocery related) often enough make me choose to buy at other stores, instead. I don't disagree with the Whole Paycheck nickname, for that company. Once in a while I'll notice them having a sale on something that interests me, and the free samples are nice too.

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 07-02-2017 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: clarifying a few things more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events