Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 04:51 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,177,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Good for her! We need more people like her.

If you don't want to get run over by angry citizens, don't commit crimes against citizens. Too many have gone soft in the head towards criminals.
Exactly! The criminal scum-bags are taking over this country, and in many cases you can't do anything to protect your person - or risk getting in trouble yourself. It's a sad state of affairs, and it makes me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 05:00 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
I wonder if she just went fully in to fight or flight. I was going through a difficult time and was alone in a city far from home with my toddler daughter. A guy tried to pick pocket me. I was able to thwart it, but I went off at him when I thought he got my wallet. I am not sure I wouldn't have tried to run him over. It was all I had...it was pure survival. Looking back, I was foolish to confront him...a criminal in an empty street with a baby on my hip. But I was just...working on instinct.

If that is her case...I think it should be factored in. Her purse might have had all the money she has for the month and she just went into survival mode.

If she was calculating and wanted to "get justice" I think she needs to be fully prosecuted.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:07 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
Calculating? She didn't go home and think about it.... she was in the moment. This whole event took moments. And she said herself, she wasn't trying to hurt him, she was trying to stop him, so he didn't get away with it. Fair enough!

She's one of those people who aren't too fearful or lazy to act to defend what's right and battle what's wrong. She's the kind of citizen we need more of.

Not guilty.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 07-01-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
I read other articles - apparently he dropped everything when he saw her coming, and ran.

I'm really concerned about her future, being a new mother to be. Her behavior shows kind of an alarming lack of impulse control.

So I have to wonder - does she have a long history of stuff like this? Or was this a complete one-off?

Old 07-01-2017, 05:38 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times
I wouldn't convict her. It wasn't premeditated on her part. I don't think she should get a worse sentence than an intentional criminal.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:07 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Anyone who acts to stop the commission of a crime and apprehend a criminal should be immune from prosecution and liability.
In pursuit of a felon. She should get a reward. What is wrong with people, this scum is a chronic criminal.

If he gets jail time instead of winning a lawsuit and having a bunch of "do-gooders" boo hoo all over him, he will probably think twice about his felonious lifestyle.

She can use the "baby defense." I was protecting my child! Even if the kid is charged, his record will be sealed or expunged by the time he's 18.

It's all good.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:15 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
I agree she overreacted. However, I don't think she should be charged with anything more serious than the would-be thief. I hope this doesn't open the door for the real criminal in the scenario to turn himself into the victim and file a lawsuit.

My hope is that she either makes a deal and pleads guilty to a misdemeanor with a small fine, or is found not guilty by a jury of her peers. I'm not in favor of a vigilante society, but I get tired of the notion that innocent citizens are supposed to do absolutely nothing but call the police and hope they show up while a crime is committed against them.
Felon WILL file a lawsuit. Some slimebag ambulance-chasing lawyer has already visited this poor victim in the hospital/jail.

Our society has bent over backwards for criminals. He was fleeing, she was attempting to stop a fleeing felon. Where is her $1000 reward?

Old 07-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
In pursuit of a felon. She should get a reward. What is wrong with people, this scum is a chronic criminal.

If he gets jail time instead of winning a lawsuit and having a bunch of "do-gooders" boo hoo all over him, he will probably think twice about his felonious lifestyle.

She can use the "baby defense." I was protecting my child! Even if the kid is charged, his record will be sealed or expunged by the time he's 18.

It's all good.
She pursued this man on foot, who had dropped her purse by her car and run, and then she gave up running him down on foot and then chased him with her car so she could run over him and thus immobilize him. She was in fact placing her unborn child in harm's way during this time in my opinion. She could easily have been in another wreck or driven over an innocent pedestrian in her reckless desire to run over this man who had rifled through her purse.

What would have happened had she caught up to him on foot, as she intended to do initially? Gads.

There was not a thought in her head, IMHO, to protect her baby. She was all about rage and not one thought about the baby she is carrying.

I'm not as concerned about his purse snatcher as I am about her unborn baby - her response was, in my opinion, dangerous and even bizarre.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Thank you, at least some people seem to get it.

The thief dropped, I repeat, DROPPED the woman's personal belongings (sorry for those arguing about identity theft and all, absolutely irrelevant here), yet she chose to continue to engage in some dirty harry fantasy tactics, didn't give up the foot chase but gets in vehicle and tries to mow the person down. Not only endangering herself and her baby, but others around her.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
She pursued this man on foot, who had dropped her purse by her car and run, and then she gave up running him down on foot and then chased him with her car so she could run over him and thus immobilize him. She was in fact placing her unborn child in harm's way during this time in my opinion. She could easily have been in another wreck or driven over an innocent pedestrian in her reckless desire to run over this man who had rifled through her purse.

What would have happened had she caught up to him on foot, as she intended to do initially? Gads.

There was not a thought in her head, IMHO, to protect her baby. She was all about rage and not one thought about the baby she is carrying.

I'm not as concerned about his purse snatcher as I am about her unborn baby - her response was, in my opinion, dangerous and even bizarre.
Not only her unborn baby but any pedestrians who may have been passing by when she ran over the curb. A car is not a weapon and should not be used as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events