Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:47 PM

573 posts, read 586,595 times

Advertisements

There is simply too much crime in this country with punishments that don't properly deter perpetrators from committing them. I wish he was dead because this POS will never contribute to society and will just cost honest Americans money to support whether through the welfare system or the prison system. They are a net negative on society. The woman was likely white trash as well, however I think if we didn't have "catch and release" so often in our justice system we wouldn't have this issue as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:48 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,262,338 times
Maybe, just maybe, if the American criminal justice system actually worked the average citizen would not resort to taking matters into their own hands. Not excusing the ladies actions, she shouldn't have tried to run the guy over. But I do understand her wanting to stop this guy.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:49 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,459,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If you need to exaggerate to make your point, maybe your point is weak.

She didn't kill him, she didn't even say she tried to kill him. She isn't charged with trying to kill him. She tried to stop him, and she did... with minor injuries.
Exactly! I hope a judge jails him and tells him "Stop stealing from others and they'll stop trying to hurt you. You brought this upon yourself."

Old 07-01-2017, 08:52 PM

35,090 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
There is simply too much crime in this country with punishments that don't properly deter perpetrators from committing them. I wish he was dead because this POS will never contribute to society and will just cost honest Americans money to support whether through the welfare system or the prison system. They are a net negative on society. The woman was likely white trash as well, however I think if we didn't have "catch and release" so often in our justice system we wouldn't have this issue as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Maybe, just maybe, if the American criminal justice system actually worked the average citizen would not resort to taking matters into their own hands. Not excusing the ladies actions, she shouldn't have tried to run the guy over. But I do understand her wanting to stop this guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Exactly! I hope a judge jails him and tells him "Stop stealing from others and they'll stop trying to hurt you. You brought this upon yourself."
Exactly. I think one of you repped me and I'm going to rep all three posts. It's too bad many people see no distinction between criminals are legitimate people.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:54 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
Karma can be a real beyotch sometimes......hahahaha

Old 07-01-2017, 08:59 PM

14,497 posts, read 12,141,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Karma can be a real beyotch sometimes......hahahaha
Apparently so can pregnant women 😊

Old 07-01-2017, 10:11 PM

783 posts, read 577,292 times
Jury nullification. Let them try her and then send back a not guilty on all counts verdict. And start a GoFundMe page for her. I'd donate to her legal expenses and just to buy her a thank you dinner for helping to get one more criminal loser off the streets.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I wonder if she just went fully in to fight or flight. I was going through a difficult time and was alone in a city far from home with my toddler daughter. A guy tried to pick pocket me. I was able to thwart it, but I went off at him when I thought he got my wallet. I am not sure I wouldn't have tried to run him over. It was all I had...it was pure survival. Looking back, I was foolish to confront him...a criminal in an empty street with a baby on my hip. But I was just...working on instinct.

If that is her case...I think it should be factored in. Her purse might haveH had all the money she has for the month and she just went into survival mode.

If she was calculating and wanted to "get justice" I think she needs to be fully prosecuted.
Than how about you don't leave your purse in the car where it can easily be seen by those looking to steal.

Quote:
Calculating? She didn't go home and think about it.... she was in the moment. This whole event took moments. And she said herself, she wasn't trying to hurt him, she was trying to stop him, so he didn't get away with it. Fair enough!

Not guilty.
Not quite, while I am all for people standing up for their rights, and this guy is a piece of scum. We need more citizens to put down the cell phone with those all important texts and FB posts, and be aware of their surroundings and be proactive on how to cut down on situations like this.

Common Sense 101: Don't leave your purse, laptop, valuables etc, in a car. Lock them in the trunk, bring them with you, hide them under the seat out of the line of sight, but don't invite trouble in by being careless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
She pursued this man on foot, who had dropped her purse by her car and run, and then she gave up running him down on foot and then chased him with her car so she could run over him and thus immobilize him. She was in fact placing her unborn child in harm's way during this time in my opinion. She could easily have been in another wreck or driven over an innocent pedestrian in her reckless desire to run over this man who had rifled through her purse.

What would have happened had she caught up to him on foot, as she intended to do initially? Gads.

There was not a thought in her head, IMHO, to protect her baby. She was all about rage and not one thought about the baby she is carrying.

I'm not as concerned about his purse snatcher as I am about her unborn baby - her response was, in my opinion, dangerous and even bizarre.
Exactly, not too bright. First thought should have been I'm pregnant, what about my baby. He dropped the purse, scream draw attention to yourself, and get help.

And you're right, she could easily have run down other people, now what? Is she still a big hero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thank you, at least some people seem to get it.

The thief dropped, I repeat, DROPPED the woman's personal belongings (sorry for those arguing about identity theft and all, absolutely irrelevant here), yet she chose to continue to engage in some dirty harry fantasy tactics, didn't give up the foot chase but gets in vehicle and tries to mow the person down. Not only endangering herself and her baby, but others around her.
Exactly. Total overreaction.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:59 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
If you need to exaggerate to make your point, maybe your point is weak.

She didn't kill him, she didn't even say she tried to kill him. She isn't charged with trying to kill him. She tried to stop him, and she did... with minor injuries.
She's lucky in that regard. You do realize when you attempt on purpose to hit someone with your car you have no idea or control as to the amount of damage you're going to do? I don't think there is are gears on the car for hitting someone to do minor injuries, hitting someone to break both their legs, hitting someone to kill them.

To use your logic someone could say after backing over someone and they die from their injuries "well your honor I only intended to break their arm and not kill them".

What exactly do you think an individual who tries to runs someone over in their car on purpose is trying to do that person?

Old 07-01-2017, 11:25 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,177,453 times
If more people ran over scum-bag thieves - there would be less thieves walking the streets.....which sounds great to me.

Too bad we can't do this without getting in trouble for doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
People who think that death and/or debilitating injury is a proportionate punishment for theft (I'm not even talking about armed robbery), are insane.
Disagree completely with this. In some countries they cut off the hands of thieves. Are all of the people that made those decisions insane? Are these entire countries insane? I seriously doubt this.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 07-01-2017 at 11:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events