Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 05:10 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,467,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
This is America, not one of those countries.

So American's do like Sharia Law

Go. Figure.

Nobody's saying they want to treat females as second-class citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 05:16 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,467,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than how about you don't leave your purse in the car where it can easily be seen by those looking to steal.

Not quite, while I am all for people standing up for their rights, and this guy is a piece of scum. We need more citizens to put down the cell phone with those all important texts and FB posts, and be aware of their surroundings and be proactive on how to cut down on situations like this.

Common Sense 101: Don't leave your purse, laptop, valuables etc, in a car. Lock them in the trunk, bring them with you, hide them under the seat out of the line of sight, but don't invite trouble in by being careless.

Exactly, not too bright. First thought should have been I'm pregnant, what about my baby. He dropped the purse, scream draw attention to yourself, and get help.

And you're right, she could easily have run down other people, now what? Is she still a big hero?

Exactly. Total overreaction.
So, if you forget to take your purse into the supermarket, even one time, it's fair game for the junkie thieves? LOL! I get what you're saying, but it sounds foolish to blame an innocent victim of theft.

And, lets stop acting like pregnant women need to be wrapped in bubble-wrap because they're "so tender." "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BABY?!!!" Get a grip people, it's a lame argument.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:35 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,104,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Than how about you don't leave your purse in the car where it can easily be seen by those looking to steal.

Not quite, while I am all for people standing up for their rights, and this guy is a piece of scum. We need more citizens to put down the cell phone with those all important texts and FB posts, and be aware of their surroundings and be proactive on how to cut down on situations like this.

Common Sense 101: Don't leave your purse, laptop, valuables etc, in a car. Lock them in the trunk, bring them with you, hide them under the seat out of the line of sight, but don't invite trouble in by being careless.

Exactly, not too bright. First thought should have been I'm pregnant, what about my baby. He dropped the purse, scream draw attention to yourself, and get help.

And you're right, she could easily have run down other people, now what? Is she still a big hero?

Exactly. Total overreaction.

While I agree with you about being careful, I just can't blame the victim for leaving her purse in sight.

{I am very careful myself, for instance, when I get gas I put my purse on the floor and lock the car, keys and credit card in my pocket.}

Where does that kind of thinking end?

If you are wearing a Rolex watch is it YOUR fault if someone tries to steal it from you?

How about you live in a gorgeous home, just beautiful, all decked out........is it your fault if a burglar sees all that and deduces you must have a lot of expensive things to steal so he robs you?

Do not wear expensive jewelry and make sure your home looks like you barely have a pot to **** in......or else it is your fault if you are victimized. Ummm, no, just no.

That said, although I realize what this woman did could have ended very badly, I doubt I could find her guilty if I was on the jury.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:58 AM

35,398 posts, read 17,312,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
This is America, not one of those countries.

So American's do like Sharia Law

Go. Figure.

I don't think that a limited amount of reaction on the spot is the same as going to a savage system of law. Remeber this is being done, on the spot, by victims or witnesses. It's not being done by a governmental or religious body. Should every kid that's picked on in school wait for the teacher or playground supervisor to get involved?

Hint, they won't get involved and the victim shouldn't wait.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:25 AM

389 posts, read 332,309 times
Too bad. She should have a right to protect her property and her safety. A direct confrontation to retrieve her property with someone larger and stronger could result in her getting beat to death or severely injured.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:40 AM

16 posts, read 13,045 times
I'll have a Coke.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,194,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Anyone who acts to stop the commission of a crime and apprehend a criminal should be immune from prosecution and liability.
yeah and...Stay off MY lawn!

BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

Old 07-02-2017, 07:23 AM

26,709 posts, read 41,878,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm sure some will disagree here, but quite an overreaction to run over someone, and it was the correct action to charge her.

Pregnant woman runs over suspected purse thief in Walmart parking lot | WREG.com
There is a reason why petty theft and breaking and entering are not death penalty crimes. This woman should be charged with attempted murder. She could have also hit other people going through the parking lot crazy like that. She used excessive force and she should definitely face strong charges, she was in no danger of her life.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:26 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,709,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Anyone who acts to stop the commission of a crime and apprehend a criminal should be immune from prosecution and liability.
So wait, you're seriously suggesting that you should be allowed to shoot someone for spitting on the sidewalk.

Seriously, what is wrong with your values?

Old 07-02-2017, 07:59 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 6 days ago)

35,933 posts, read 18,229,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
Too bad. She should have a right to protect her property and her safety. A direct confrontation to retrieve her property with someone larger and stronger could result in her getting beat to death or severely injured.
That's what she intended to do to begin with; she initially chased him physically, although he had left her purse behind. When she realized she couldn't catch him - he was too quick - she ran back to her car to chase him through the parking lot, over a curb barrier, to run him over.

I can't imagine anyone, looking at that behavior, would think her baby wasn't put in harm's way with that behavior.

What if she HAD been fast enough to catch up with him on foot, as she intended? What then?

She wasn't trying to retrieve property, she was seeking revenge (I guess including death if it came to that) so he "wouldn't be able to get away with it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events