U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 PM
 
5,504 posts, read 3,168,169 times
Reputation: 18983

Advertisements

I think her release is appropriate considering that she has served more time than many do for murder. And she has had an exemplary record of conduct during her incarceration.

I do not think it is appropriate to ever excuse breaking the law because of a history of abuse. I know that sounds harsh. But if you made exceptions for people who had suffered abuse as children or murdered someone because they had abused them, or those who suffer from fetal alcohol effect as she does you would have to make exceptions for the larger number of people who murder.

What about making exceptions for sexual abusers because they were abused as children and have been conditioned? You can see how crazy this kind of reasoning can get. Nearly all murderers of passion have exceptional emotional issues.

In my town alone I know of three young men who, in separate cases, went to prison for murdering their sexual abuser. It's an absolute tragedy. And one of them was murdered in prison.

But I don't see exonerating them as being an improvement to how we handle murder cases. What happens to kids who murder and get a pass? Where would that lead?

I don't think it says anywhere in our laws that you can kill someone if you have a good enough reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2019, 08:50 PM
 
2,859 posts, read 2,547,874 times
Reputation: 5292
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If it were a 16 year old high school student willingly having sex with her math teacher, it would be statuatory rape. A 16 year old cannot legally consent to sex with an adult. So it does not matter if Brown went willingly with the victim. It was still statuatory rape. And I would question how willingly she went ... or if she was being pressured by her pimp who was controlling (trafficking) her.
So, his punishment for offering her money for sex is that he was murdered in his sleep, and then robbed of his cash, guns and truck. Her punishment for murdering him in his sleep and then robbing him is 14 years in jail and 50 hours of community service. Something's rotten in Denmark, or in this case, Tennessee.

IF she was being pressured/trafficed by a pimp, she now had a vehicle (the stolen truck) to make her getaway in. Did she use the stolen vehicle to flee? Nope. Seems she liked a life of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
4,424 posts, read 1,654,932 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
A man purchased her as a slave for sex. She killed him. She was 16 at the time.
She shot him in the back of the head while he was asleep, robbed him, and stole his car. He did not purchase her for sex. She admitted that they never had sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
4,424 posts, read 1,654,932 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And she was afraid for her life. He had guns, and was behaving oddly with her, while brandishing a gun, leading her to believe that her life meant nothing to him.

Has there been any follow-up as to whether her trafficker was arrested and convicted?
Her trafficker, if that is what you want to call her boyfriend, is dead. Which is what she would probably be too, if she hadn't been arrested and put in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
4,424 posts, read 1,654,932 times
Reputation: 5818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Here we go again.

The revisionism of history continues.

Some of the people blindly supporting Brown can't even get their own principles and beliefs straight. They'll falsely claim that Brown was trafficked and abused by the victim. Or they'll say that the victim 'deserved' to be brutally executed in his sleep, because he paid for the company of a prostitute (one that willingly went with him). These are probably the same people that think prostitution should be legalized and regulated, or think that if certain politicians were caught procuring a prostitute or engaging in prostitution, then that is no one's business but his own and no big deal.

Brown was granted clemency due to the continued revisionist history being given by her supporters including clueless celebrities. The governor didn't want to seem like the 'bad' guy, even though the jury and lead detective knew very well what a twisted and dangerous person Brown is. I take some measure of comfort in knowing she served 15 years, so it wasn't like she faced no punishment. But based on her cold blooded act, she certainly deserved to spend more time in prison.

For those that still don't get it, please do fully read the letter from the lead detective that details her sordid acts.

Lead detective in Cyntoia Brown case urging Gov. Haslam to not grant her clemency
Revising history seems to be popular these days. So many people buy into every fake news story that comes along without even investigating the facts. The investigation showed that it was cool blooded murder, not self defence. The police were and still are convinced, that she is a cold blooded murderer, the jury and the judge were convinced that she was a cold blooded murderer, and she was convicted. But then she gets a good PR team to convince the public that she was the victim, and she gets off.

If you want to get away with murder these days, don't even waste your money on a good lawyer, spend it on a PR team.

I think this is a really bad precedent. But it looks like it's going to be the future of our legal system in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Texas
7,487 posts, read 2,758,996 times
Reputation: 15893
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Brown ran away from home at 16 and hooked up with a pimp. She lived with him and supported both of them by prostituting herself. I don't see any evidence that she tried to get away from the pimp. She then picked up a "john" and slept with him for money. While he was asleep she shot him in the back of his head. She then stole his money, his truck, etc. and brought it all back to the pimp. She was charged with murder for shooting the "john" while he was asleep and stealing his things. At no time did she act against the guy pimping her around or try to escape from the life of prostitution.
An underaged girl cannot prostitute herself. She is a victim, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Texas
7,487 posts, read 2,758,996 times
Reputation: 15893
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If it were a 16 year old high school student willingly having sex with her math teacher, it would be statuatory rape. A 16 year old cannot legally consent to sex with an adult. So it does not matter if Brown went willingly with the victim. It was still statuatory rape. And I would question how willingly she went ... or if she was being pressured by her pimp who was controlling (trafficking) her.
I think it's a waste of time to explain the concepts of statutory rape and legal consent to the perverts who post on CD. They cannot grasp these concepts. I'd also venture a guess that quite a few posters here have, or would (if the opportunity presented itself) have sex with a minor and think it's all okay because "she consented."

We have already seen on previous threads just how many posters believe sex with minors is perfectly okay. And that it's even "okay" for teachers to have sex with their high school students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
74,511 posts, read 66,140,508 times
Reputation: 71077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Here we go again.

The revisionism of history continues.

Some of the people blindly supporting Brown can't even get their own principles and beliefs straight. They'll falsely claim that Brown was trafficked and abused by the victim. Or they'll say that the victim 'deserved' to be brutally executed in his sleep, because he paid for the company of a prostitute (one that willingly went with him). These are probably the same people that think prostitution should be legalized and regulated, or think that if certain politicians were caught procuring a prostitute or engaging in prostitution, then that is no one's business but his own and no big deal.

Brown was granted clemency due to the continued revisionist history being given by her supporters including clueless celebrities. The governor didn't want to seem like the 'bad' guy, even though the jury and lead detective knew very well what a twisted and dangerous person Brown is. I take some measure of comfort in knowing she served 15 years, so it wasn't like she faced no punishment. But based on her cold blooded act, she certainly deserved to spend more time in prison.

For those that still don't get it, please do fully read the letter from the lead detective that details her sordid acts.

Lead detective in Cyntoia Brown case urging Gov. Haslam to not grant her clemency
Her pimp made her go out and earn some money. She was approached by the now-dead guy. IMO based on the info I've seen so far, she wasn't "willingly" doing anything.

Someone said earlier, she came from a loving foster home. I'd like more credible info on the nature of the foster home, and her relationship with the foster parent/s.

Anyway, I don't think we'll ever know for sure her motives for killing the guy. She said she was scared, because he was behaving strangely, showing her his guns, and so on.

BTW, why would he pay for a prostitute, then go to sleep? Wasn't he worried she'd walk out the door? Did he lock himself and her in, somehow? Or was the display of guns and crazy talk intended to frighten her, so she wouldn't try to leave? It doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 PM
 
10,673 posts, read 7,770,684 times
Reputation: 18981
I agree. There's more to it.
Pimping a 16yr old is manipulation. Try imagining if it was a 16yr old boy. Probably feels a whole lot creepier. It's wrong. The 16yr old is a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2019, 11:41 PM
 
20,854 posts, read 26,951,356 times
Reputation: 14011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

BTW, why would he pay for a prostitute, then go to sleep? Wasn't he worried she'd walk out the door? Did he lock himself and her in, somehow? Or was the display of guns and crazy talk intended to frighten her, so she wouldn't try to leave? It doesn't make sense.
Possibly drugs and/or alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top